• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • linzal12

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Greenfield
    My wife is picking out her first cc gun, and does not know what to get. She equally likes the ruger lcr and lcp and she is looking for some firsthand advice on the two.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    For my dollar, I'd rather have the LCR. Both are fine firearms, but my own opinion (which is worth what you've paid for it, and welcome to INGO, by the way) is that the .38 is an all-around better round than the .380

I can conceal a revolver in just about every situation. There are times where a thinner frame would be nice, but not nice enough for me to change what I do..

Counselor1977

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    I agree with Bubbajms. Not only is the .38 a better round, but with the LCR having the ability to shoot .38+P, the round gets near 9mm performances, which just isn't going to happen with a .380 out of a short barrel. Besides, the revolver gives one more assures of reliability. Given the motivation/ reason to have a pocket gun, high reliability is a must and probably a precedent over round count.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Personally I would prefer the LCR. Does she have much experience shooting? Both are great guns, but I just prefer the LCR. That is just my opinion though and what is most important is that she likes it and is comfortable with it. If at all possible I would try to have her test as many guns as possible. I know several people that think the LCP is pretty snappy and they dont enjoy shooting more than 40 or 50 rounds each range trip. Good luck with the decision. :ingo:

linzal12

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Greenfield
    Thank you for such quick responses. She has very little experience shooting, and the only real issue we have with the revolver is the lack of a saftey.

inFALable

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Hamilton Co.
    Things to consider...

Who will be maintaining the handgun? The LCP is going to need to be maintained better than the LCR to be reliable.

Can she rack the slide on the LCP? Is the trigger pull on the LCR too much for her?

You mentioned that the lack of safety on the LCR is a concern. The LCP doesn't have a manual safety either.

If she isn't going to commit to taking it down each week at least to maintain it I'd suggest an LCR.

Joe in FWA

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Add me to the list favoring the LCR. Here's mine...

LCR.jpg

random_eyes

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2009
    I love the LCR. I am new to carrying a handgun, but when I place mine in its Stoner front pocket holster, it feels very "safe" to me-- by that I mean I feel like there is zero chance of accidentally pulling the trigger. On the other hand, I sometimes worry about my 9mm accidentally discharging as I place it into its IWB holster-- probably just my inexperience but just how I feel.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    But the LCP comes in PINK!

If color is your main concern...I'd be concerned!

:+1: for the LCR!!! I have one and it's great (when my wife let's me have it back!!!) :D

Hornady, Federal, CorBon, Winchester, Remington, etc...all make a better .38+P round than anything you'll find in .380, period!!! If Personal Defense is the main concern, the .38+P will win out over a .380, hands down! I carry it in a pocket, hip holster, ankle holster, whatever I need for that day!!! I've owned 3 x .380's and I don't feel that it's up to par with a good .38 anytime! :ar15:

You can't say enough about a good revolver for PD...they're reliable, effective, concealable, they have pull-point-n-shoot capability without having to do anything fancy like chamber a round, mess with a safety (I know, the LCP doesn't have a 'safety'), etc...but it's about revolvers.

Oh, and with the Hogue Tamer Grip (from the factory), it's much more enjoyable to shoot than the LCP!

One more thing about the LCR that you can't do with the LCP...you can replace the front sight with a Tritium Night Sight from XS Sights. It's only $68 shipped and you can do the swap yourself! I've got one on mine and it's great!!! :rockwoot:

Just my :twocents: !

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I'd choose the LCR, definetly. The 38 is a much better SD round. The revolver won't get gummed up riding in a purse and can be fired from inside a pocket.

This is like comparing apples and oranges though. Have her decide on auto or revolver first and then look at all the options, IMHO.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    I haven't shot an LCR, but I have shot an LCP. I normally shoot .40 S&W in pistol, and a whole range of long guns, I have felt "pain" from quite a few sources, but nothing compares to the pain of the LCP. It physically hurt my hands to shoot it. It may be because I have bigger hands and can't get a comfortable grip, but it wasn't fun at all. As far as design, the slide is very hard to rack, the trigger is long and heavy, and for me the frame is too narrow.

I think the LCP is an awful gun, with a round that, while capable, has better and cheaper alternatives to it. I would go with the LCR even without having shot one. Just by looking at it, it looks more comfortable, and you cant be the simplicity of a revolver for a new shooter.

SKSnut

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    believe it or not a .380 is more powerful. look up balistics tests if you don't believe me(i didn't believe it when i heard it either)

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I chose the LCP.

The reason for this is its intended role: Something to carry when I can't have a gun on me.

Otherwise it serves as a backup to my 1911 I wear on my hip.

It is very flat, and very small - and with Double Tap ammo, will get the same velocity as the .45acp.

True, it's a minor caliber, but honestly 6+1 rounds of .380acp is nothing to sneeze at.

As well, there's just something about the .45acp and .380acp that just go together.

Josh

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    My :twocents:

Go with the LCR

LCR - 5 rounds
    LCP - 6+1

Neither are gonna unload a ton of rounds = wash

Neither has a safety - both have triggers that weigh a ton, which IS the safety = wash

To me, the LCR is the better option because has less parts to maintain AND less probability of malfunction, and if she's carrying it, less chance of malfunction is always good.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Another plus 1 on the LCR. Love mine! The recoil is very manageable with the Hogue tamers. It has one of the nicest factory triggers for a small frame revolver I've shot.

Top Bottom