Ruger LCR or the Taurus Polymer snubby??????

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Littlejoe

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Elrod Indiana
    I have been thinking about a new CC stubby.... What can you tell me about the LCR and the little Poly gun that Taurus makes. I don't think I want a 357. I would be looking for the 38 spl. I have never shot either of these guns. I have CC a snubby on and off for many years. I would think that a Poly covered snuby would be great for weight. I have been CC a Glock 36 with the 6 rd. mag. So a 5 shot will not bother me. I guess what I want to know is the Ruger worth the extra $125-150 ...What do you guys like better???:ingo:

Thanks,
    Littlejoe

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I'd have zero problems with the Taurus poly, but I'd be much more likely to get a .357. I carry a Taurus semi all the time and have carried my Taurus .357 revolver for over 2 decades. Wouldn't have an issue carrying one of the new poly's, either. Save a few bucks and splurge on ammo and range time. Ruger makes a good piece, but there's not a thing wrong with the Taurus.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    For me, I would spend the extra on a Ruger. Not that I think the taurus is junk, but the Taurus revolvers that I have experience with have been less than perfect. My biggest issue With Taurus in the SD revolver line is sticky cylinders. The last thing I want to be fighting in a SD shooting situation, or high stress/priority reload is getting a stuck case out of a cylinder. Mine, and my wifes Rugers on the other hand, seldom need much more than a tip up, and a suggestion to get out of the cylinder and brass is hitting the ground.

Razer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2013
    South Central Indiana
    I've been looking at the lcr myself as a possible carry gun and really like it from handling in the store anyway. Tested trigger against a few Taurus and Smith options and the lcr won out each time. The best for me was when my wife testing the pull, the ruger own hands down on the "easy to pull test" as we were trying to show her how they worked.

If I was getting one I'd personally get the .357 as it is a couple ounces heavier due to more steel up top vs the .38 version. Slightly easier to shoot, and much heavier duty. Not a huge concern for many, but might be my only firearm so it would get used more than many if I got it.

Still debating a single stack like the shield or xds, decisions decisions.

rtfisher1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Anderson
    Ruger LCR all the way. Its a great gun. I would get the 357 version also because shooting plus P ammo is just perfect in the 357 version and pretty snappy in the 38 version. The guns are only about 3.6 oz. difference and the ability shoot the heavier loads is nice. Side note, throw a cylinder of full power 125 grain 357's in the LCR once in awhile... they are a hoot to shoot, but you can manage it.

PS. everyone talks about the triggers on the LCR being smoother and lighter than the Smith J's...... so far everyone I've tried has lived up to that hype.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    LCR is fantastic and well worth the extra cost. Its lighter, less bulky, has a better grip, and the trigger is fan-flipping-tastic for a snubby revolver. It shoots point of aim, which per some reviews isn't always true with the polymer Taurus.

The gel-insert grip and trigger alone are worth the cost difference.

I did a comparison between a Taurus 850 and a Ruger LCR here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...lcr-357-review-comparison-taurus-850-cia.html

I dry fired and played with a polymer Taurus and wouldn't have traded my 850 for it.

DFM914

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Avon
    LCR hands down and proven reliability. It also features one of the best DA triggers I have seen out of the box.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To each his own. Buy the one you like. I carry Taurus. Sold my LCP to buy the TCP. Been happy with it.

Sold my G26 to buy a 24/7 Pro. Very happy with it. Glock cost twice what I paid for the Taurus, and the Taurus is far more accurate—at least in my hands.

I considered a Ruger Vaquero until I saw the price, $739. I opted for an Uberti Cattleman. For the price difference I could buy two more and be a real two-gun bad guy with a BUG tucked behind my belt. :D

Seriously, the price difference is significant. Ruger makes a fine weapon. I like their 10/22, for example, but it is reasonably priced—unlike the Vaquero. Again, buy the one you like. But if you buy the Taurus, you have cash left for range time/ammo or a second gun.

Whatever you do, enjoy it and stay safe.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Sold my LCP to buy the TCP. Been happy with it.

Which is entirely irrelevant in a discussion about the LCR vs the poly Taurus revolver. Taurus is deep into "good enough" territory, but the LCR is a step ahead in the snub revolver world.

The LCP is just another crappy trigger polymer pocket pistol, nothing to write home about. The LCR, on the other hand, uses a cam system that drops the weight over 4 lbs compared to "normal" DAO revolver triggers. The LCP feels just like the next chunk of plastic in your hands, the LCR feels like those gel inserts for your shoes, except in the web of your hand absorbing the recoil.

In short, LCP =/= LCR in terms of quality and feel difference over its competitors.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    LCR. I've had the protector poly. 38 had to
    return it the cylinder release didn't work properly.
    Checked it against another brand new one,it was just that particular one. Also,there was plastic flashing hanging of in a couple places.
    Then,got the 85 ultra Lite .38. Nice gun but sold that when I found a barley used LCR .357
    .357 is the better choice for the lcr,and as others said trigger, and grip are way better. Easy to carry. Although I was thinking about trading for a P226:cool:

Top Bottom