• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ipswervy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Somewhere Indiana
    What is to high of a number for a Ruger mklll to have been shot through it. Will that hurt the rifling in the barrel. I saw one for sale with almost 6000 rounds fired. What about the effects on the rest of the gun?

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Mine is close to that and still in LNIB condition. Well, maybe not quite that good but little wear on the internals that I can see or that affect the performance of the gun. The only thing to check that might wear at that point is to see if the bolt locks open upon firing the last round from the magazine. It is an easy fix, but that is what wore on mine. Once I learned to slingshot it, that wear was eliminated.

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Assuming it is made out of decent steel (as the MkIIIs are) a .22LR won't burn out the barrel in your lifetime. Overly aggressive cleaning would damage the barrel more than 6,000 rounds.

In summary, 6K for a quality .22LR pistol is nothing.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    6000? That like only 20-50 times to the range. There are some that might think about cleaning it at that number. :D

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    I have a Ruger Super Single Six that I fired 500 rounds a week though it for the first year I owned it. That was over 25 years ago and I still shoot this gun alot. Round count has to be well over 60,000 rds. Gun is still as accurate as the day I got it and still as much fun to shoot.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Mine is close to that and still in LNIB condition. Well, maybe not quite that good but little wear on the internals that I can see or that affect the performance of the gun. The only thing to check that might wear at that point is to see if the bolt locks open upon firing the last round from the magazine. It is an easy fix, but that is what wore on mine. Once I learned to slingshot it, that wear was eliminated.

Yes, this. Do check the bolt hold open. A lot of people like to use that as a bolt release - it's not. Never simply depress the switch and let the bolt slam home like you would with a 1911. The mechanism will wear out from this. While holding the bolt back then press and hold the lever and finally release the bolt.

Or just do a 'slingshot mod'.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I shot a MK II Ruger in bullseye leagues for close to 10 years. Between weekly practice, Leagues, weekend plinking, etc, LOTS of bricks of Ammo were sent down that Barrel. I would not worry about 6000 rounds. IF you COULD ever wear one out, Brownells sells upgraded barrel/upper receivers that require no gunsmithing to replace. Buy it and enjoy it.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I have owned my first 22/45 MkII since 1995. While I now own more than several, when I was a humble public servant it used to be my only .22 self-loading pistol. I lost count at the 18K count about 10 years ago.

I still shoot the snot out of it. I have no idea what is through it but it must be north of 30K. The pistol has been taken to the screws to be cleaned by a professional gunsmith twice but other than install a speed strip and buy ammo I have done nothing to the gun.

J10

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Morgan County
    Think about it like miles on a diesel engine vs miles on an open wheel Indy car engine :D

I know i have personally put 6000 through my MKIII. Still works like new.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    6000 rounds is nothing. .22 lr rounds are easy on the barrel, with softer lead and lube. If something were to have a problem, it would probably be something on the slide from battering, but Ruger mk pistols are tuff.

Dave

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Assuming it is made out of decent steel (as the MkIIIs are) a .22LR won't burn out the barrel in your lifetime. Overly aggressive cleaning would damage the barrel more than 6,000 rounds.

In summary, 6K for a quality .22LR pistol is nothing.

This....

More 22's are ruined by cleaning rods than by the lead bullets that they shoot.

A lead bullet can't burn out a bore, just make it better. As long as the foreign substance that is a cleaning rod, is not introduced.

I would be more interested in how often he cleans it. That is a more accurate description of the wear of the barrel and action.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    What is to high of a number for a Ruger mklll to have been shot through it. Will that hurt the rifling in the barrel. I saw one for sale with almost 6000 rounds fired. What about the effects on the rest of the gun?

Hundreds of thousands are high round counts for a Ruger MKIII. Anything less is still the break in period. :D

I have an MKII...with well over 75,000 rounds through it, still shoots like a champ.

charley59

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    In Carroll County
    A good 22LR handgun or rifle, the rifling in that barrel will last for many lifetimes. Like Cordex said, cleaning the barrel will do more damage than shooting. I have replaced a firing pin, and extractor in My 1982 MK 2, but that is all.

Top Bottom