Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Put a 2.5x on my #1A.
    Ruger rings still suck.
    Guess I gotta order the Leupolds.

Continuing my love/hate relationship w Ruger Number One rifles.

Glutton for punishment I reckon.
    Kinda like a pretty gal that is annoying.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Put a 2.5x on my #1A.
    Ruger rings still suck.
    Guess I gotta order the Leupolds.

Continuing my love/hate relationship w Ruger Number One rifles.

Glutton for punishment I reckon.
    Kinda like a pretty gal that is annoying.
    Lol. I can take pretty and annoying. Until I get pretty annoyed.
    My scopes sit a little bit back in the rings but the eye relief is perfect and loading isn't hampered. I guess I got lucky?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    LOL, my neck doesn't stretch like it used to. Scopes need a little farther back now.
    Can't use reg rings, need at least an offset at rear.
    Leupold rings are halved on centerline it looks like. So tops shouldn't have to snap over the scope.
    A redesign of the rib, and sensible ring options (location and design of rings themselves) would be a worthy upgrade.
    Can go custom of course.

Doesn't take much these days to get me pretty annoyed ;)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Need .050" more removed, hand bevel front and the B scope problem is solved.
    EGW base overhangs receiver, but I didn't need all the slots so removed 2.
    Still gets rear ring farther back than Ruger factory extension ring.
    And Ruger ring tops are over center on parting line, which has to snap over scope tube.
    For me a B w quarter rib and Ruger medium rings is at right height.
    Since the EGW is taller, Burris Zee rings in low got me comparable.
    Hence the need for machining the base.

Being able to drop a scope in rings, without scratching it up, being able to set it square with no hassle.....
    the joy of NOT using Ruger rings cannot be overstated.

This little experiment end up around 150 total.
    But it solves the problem and reduced the risk of scope scratching dramatically.

Note: Signature rings w the plastic inserts, the lowest they make is "medium" and those w the higher EGW base were too tall for me.
    I could have gone w a cheek riser but on a #1 I think that kinda hideous.

EGW base mod 1.
    Told me what I need to know (scope needs back .5").
    So buzz a little more off the base.

EGW 1.jpg

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    All sighted in with the .243 and .270. Going to pursue the trigger work in the spring as recommended above. Now to decide which to use on opening day.
    I must be lucky as both scopes mounted in a very comfortable position for me. Maybe as I get time to run the rifles more, I'll see room for improvement outside of a trigger job.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Too bad they didn't stay w the old 3 screw trigger.
    My old rig has one.
    But with the trigger set nice, the safety is a bit stiff.

The sear engagement screw is from the top so buttstock needs removed to adjust.

I haven't messed w my new ones 2 screw trigger. It may not adjust weight much. Dunno.
    Its pretty crappy as is.

Stacked bullets on top of each other at 50 benched. With just a 2.5x
    Will run that scope this season, but not digging it. Replace after.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Wow! That is some addiction! Nice! :wavey:
    Like most addictions, my wife is not...... Pleased...... At all. I think it was the second one and a Leupold scope that twisted her panties. But hey, I just said no lever actions. I went with two No 1's and two 870's instead.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Factory ammo and 2.5x scope at 50 yards. Just 2 shots to double check zero

IMG_20231113_122514888~2.jpg

.308 win is a hot rod. Dont think i need that much HP to pop a deer. The red pad on my 2017 still doesnt seem to do much for recoil.

2.5x and thick crosshairs is supposedly a favorite for thick stuff. Id prefer a reg duplex and proly go w a 2.5-8x next yr.

Crayton_Mcdaniels

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 7, 2023
    Central Indiana
    Well, it started last year when I decided that I needed to fill a childhood dream. I looked and looked for a No. 1 in .270. The prices on them really made me pucker!
    I did see, however, a really nice .243 on Gunjoker. My daughter kills deer deader than dead with her Mossberg Patriot in .243, so we already load for it.I bid on it and left for the cabin.
    On my way home, I pulled into a rest area because I was thinking of it all weekend! The auction was ending and I had to pee. I sat in the lot and won the bid. When I got the gun in hand, I was stunned. Perfect except for one tiny ding on the stock.
    When I sighted it in I went right to the 200 yard gong. Thought I missed the first two. Aimed just to the right of the 1.25" hole in the center of the disc plate. Clang! Fourth shot went into the hole just to see. Holy crap! It shoots!!!!
    Fast forward a year. I've been a good boy all year and hid some cash from my wife..... Na, just kidding. Mostly. But anyways...
    Hopped on GunBroker again, saw a nice No. 1 in .270., bid it up stupid. Four different times! I let each one go after I increased my max bid a couple hundred bucks each time. Paid too much the forth time but had only seen four in six months. Came with a nice Leopold scope to boot.If anyone out there was bidding against me, I quit bidding at stupid prices -and you paid more. Enjoy your gun.
    So, I had the gun a bit and finally got to put some rounds through it. Bore sighted using the neighbors doorknob across the street. Made sure it was on paper and made some small adjustments. Heck, let's hit that gong. Three shots and three hits. 2" right and perfect elevation at 200. About a three inch group for the next three shots. I was tired and hungry while I was shooting but I'll take it!
    The trigger is too heavy on the .270 but perfect on the .243. I'll research it a bit and see what I can do. It has not been shot much so it may lighten? I'm not going to wait for it.
    So anyways, I'm hooked on these rifles and would like another someday. The problem is, I just bought two in calibers that cover any hunting I'll ever do. Maybe a stainless laminated job in .300 Win Mag. I don't know. View attachment 297867
    Your post has me needing one now!

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Factory ammo and 2.5x scope at 50 yards. Just 2 shots to double check zero

View attachment 311870

.308 win is a hot rod. Dont think i need that much HP to pop a deer. The red pad on my 2017 still doesnt seem to do much for recoil.

2.5x and thick crosshairs is supposedly a favorite for thick stuff. Id prefer a reg duplex and proly go w a 2.5-8x next yr.
    It will keel !!.....

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Yanked the 2.5x, rifle now sits waiting for a diff scope.
    Leupold uglied their VX3HD line by putting dialing turret atop.
    The VX3i standard 3.5-10X didn't have that.

The Freedom series looks like crap, but one can use VXI/II turret caps to reduce the offense.
    But the eyepiece segmented grip vs knurled, still kills the look of the Freedom series.

So I'm looking for a VX3i 1.5-5x or 3.5-10X (the latter I do have on my Steyr PH).
    Or a gloss M8 4x, or 1.5-5x VX3 (I'd even consider the latter in matte).
    Ebay prices are insane. Some of those scopes have been listed for months LOL

Found an M8 clean someplace else, may get it Monday.
    Just a little gangly looking for that rifle. Maybe try for a VXII gloss 3-9X.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Yanked the 2.5x, rifle now sits waiting for a diff scope.
    Leupold uglied their VX3HD line by putting dialing turret atop.
    The VX3i standard 3.5-10X didn't have that.

The Freedom series looks like crap, but one can use VXI/II turret caps to reduce the offense.
    But the eyepiece segmented grip vs knurled, still kills the look of the Freedom series.

So I'm looking for a VX3i 1.5-5x or 3.5-10X (the latter I do have on my Steyr PH).
    Or a gloss M8 4x, or 1.5-5x VX3 (I'd even consider the latter in matte).
    Ebay prices are insane. Some of those scopes have been listed for months LOL

Found an M8 clean someplace else, may get it Monday.
    Just a little gangly looking for that rifle. Maybe try for a VXII gloss 3-9X.
    That's a 3.5x10 Leupold on my .270 above. Honest to God, I'd probably be just as happy with a mid grade Tasco....

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The 3.5-10x Leupold has decent tube length to fit a #1.

Have an old AO version as a backup scope. Have not compared bell dims vs standard. Since my 308 is newish, the old scratched up glossy isnt a good look.

And its lacking at 10x as a varmint a scope. Proly put a m8 12x later model on the old 22 250.

Nice rifles, worthy of classy glass IMHO.

Top Bottom