• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    Okay so, I ordered Dura Coat Colors John Deere Green And John Deere yellow. The Dura Coat is supposed to be in later today! :rockwoot: Which will give me something to look forward to do after My Root canal. So I am going to take my Ruger P89dc and giving it a two tone Job. I got the gun for next to nothing But it had some rust and pitting issues due to previous owner not taking care of his stuff. I gave the gun a quick acid bath to remove the bluing and rust. And I have the gun completely broken down now. I will take some pictures of before. and after!

But i am thinking slide and frame - Green
    Decocker, grips, Trigger, Hammer, slide release and barrel and guide rod and mag - yellow.

Thoughts and advice before i do this?

How many coats of dura coat should i apply?

Is it illegal to give a real fire arm an Orange Tip?!?! just for ****s and giggles.. I don't have kids.. but might confuse the heck out of a bad guy..

2012-04-30_13-25-14_286.jpg
    2012-04-30_13-57-26_728.jpg

2012-04-30_23-46-11_970.jpg

No i was not looking down the barrel of the gun. I held the camera over it. The firing pin was not put in yet. And there is no round in the chamber.

2012-04-30_23-46-45_208.jpg

picture update.. Not all the way back together but just had to know what it would look like!

Last edited:

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    It is a good idea. Not many people have a John Deere pistol... and I'm sure once you are tired of it, some one will want to buy it off of gunbroker... I think you should do it

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    I'am partial to John Deere, I say go for it, what is the worst that could happen :dunno: Dura coat is reversible, if it doesn't work out coat it in something else. Gotta say though that FN in the old JD green and Deere logo is :cool:

wxchick.h3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Southern IN
    I LOVE John Deere, so I think you should definitely paint your Ruger!! The only thing that I would possibly change about the pics that Plinkuh's posted would be changing the John Deere yellow to pink and writing "country girl" on it. lol.
    If you decide to paint it please post some pics! Would love to see them! :D

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    I say go for it. You said it needs refinishing anyway, you've ordered the duracoat already, don't let anyone talk you out of it. They say variety is the spice of life, if JD is your thing do it, post pics and enjoy.

This is advice from a guy with a blue hi-point with puppy paw prints on it.

7718c9dd.jpg

Last edited:

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    The color scheme is not my cup of tea. However the Ruger P89's are built like tanks so it is appropriate. Go for it, just make sure to post the results.

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    I say go for it. You said it needs refinishing anyway, you've ordered the duracoat already, don't let anyone talk you out of it. They say variety is the spice of life, if JD is your thing do it, post pics and enjoy.

This is advice from a guy with a blue hi-point with puppy paw prints on it.

7718c9dd.jpg

That's the first high point that looks half way decent! I wont' knock it.. So is that your favorite gun?

wxchick.h3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Southern IN
    I won't be going all out to put John Deere name I just like the colors. or Humm Maybe the logo.. would look good on the bottom of the mags. :rockwoot: I am going to do it. I ordered the colors.

Really? You aren't going to put the John Deere name or logo on it? Since you are going to paint it those colors anyway... you might as well at least add the logo! :D

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    The John Deere FN looks pretty cool but that AR is freakin' ugly.

I wouldn't paint my gun to look like a JD anymore than I would paint my JD to look like a gun. But if you like that kind of thing then the FN looks good for what it is.

Last edited:

tacmedic

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I am very surprised that more "farm types" have not jumped all over this. Especially those that love their JD tractors and combines. I have two P series Rugers and would not do this to mine, but if green and yellow is your thing go for it, and good luck! post a pic or two when you get it done.

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    I will put photos up. The thing is this was my gun, sold it to a friend. who didn't take care of it. The bluing was in bad shape, the slide and the external steel parts were rusted due to neglect. I was rather upset when the friend called asking how to remove rust from his guns. (all of which i sold him) I cleaned one of them up for him. had just minor minor rust spots. This one i told him he was on his own since it broke my heart that he let that happen to what was my favorite gun model. He then said well its junk and it won't fire.. I will sell it to you for a dollar.. So I bought it... Cleaned her up acid soaked her and everything. I figure at this point, the rust is gone but there is some pitting on the slide etc. I honestly want something unique, something to talk about with other friends when i take them to the range or out in the country. The color combination isn't anything new.. Others have done it. It will bring back some good memories when i grew up in the country.. and not remind me that i live in the city of Indianapolis, or as neighbors seem to refer to it as 'nap' town or the 'nappy city'..
    I can always re duracoat it at a later date. I wouldn't normally change the color of a gun. But, I also typically only buy stainless now. so.. Yeah.. Oh yeah i am still on some happy pain pills.. for a few more days :) Root Canal took care of the pain, if anyone has been following me.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    :popcorn:I would like to see this being a farmer and a fan of the deeres this is one thread im gonna follow cant wait to see the result just go easy on the yellow that FN is the perfect balance but that AR is a eye sore to much yellow and its too light of a yellow at that... the green is not right ether but i could understand why its diffrent

cant wait to see the pics

Top Bottom