• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveg26

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 7, 2012
    Shot my new ruger 3" 357 today. I really like it shoots very nice. My wife shot it to with 38 loads in it she liked it better than the glock 19. Ran 132gr 38s ,125gr 357 golden sabors and 110gr +p+ 38 ranger ammo threw it.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I LOVE mine! However after an hour or two of shooting, the web of my hand does get a bit sore....after that it is just numb and good to go the rest of the day but will not move too well the following day;) The first time I took her out I thought I was going to lose my thumb after a few boxes.

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    Converse Indiana
    I LOVE mine! However after an hour or two of shooting, the web of my hand does get a bit sore....after that it is just numb and good to go the rest of the day but will not move too well the following day;) The first time I took her out I thought I was going to lose my thumb after a few boxes.

I hear that! Mine the hammer spring was so strong and the hammer was so checkered it killed me! I ended up putting a lighter hammer spring in when I gave it a trigger job.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    I hear that! Mine the hammer spring was so strong and the hammer was so checkered it killed me! I ended up putting a lighter hammer spring in when I gave it a trigger job.
    Some day I may send it to Gemini Customs LLC - Ruger & Services
    I want it ported, sides slabbed, hammer bobbed....trigger lightened, basically the whole works! I carry mine IWB at about 1-1:30 and the hammer digs in pretty good.

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    Converse Indiana
    Some day I may send it to Gemini Customs LLC - Ruger & Services
    I want it ported, sides slabbed, hammer bobbed....trigger lightened, basically the whole works! I carry mine IWB at about 1-1:30 and the hammer digs in pretty good.

I'm not much on bobbed hammers but ported wild be awesome! I did lighten and smooth my trigger out and lightened the hammer quite a bit.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    I'm not much on bobbed hammers but ported wild be awesome! I did lighten and smooth my trigger out and lightened the hammer quite a bit.
    I'm not particularly "fond" of the bobbed hammers either, but nor am I "fond" of the way it digs into my belly flop! This is my EDC and is also the only gun I've ever named. I call it "Pants" because I won't leave the house without it;)

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    Hey now...I've spent 40 years growing it. Besides, it is an occupational hazard and can't be helped. Like every gray hair on my body, it is earned.

LOL... I hear ya!

I love my 2.25 DAO sp. Appendix carry with the CT overmould grips.

Best! carry gun I have ever had.

And no hammer issues.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I have a snubby sp101 in .357 and it is my very favorite of all of them. It's a tuff gun. Once I shot loads designed for bear hunting, they are supposed to be shot from a .357 carbine rifle! when shot from a snub nosed revolver they cleared the entire area. fire flew 3 feet from each side and at least 7 feet out the front. black loops of smoke were hovering around and ashes and little burning sparks were all over me, it was the hit of the day and everybody wanted some! such fun. For packing I load it with 110 gr. Winchester jhp and drop it into my front pocket.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I got my 3 inch SP101 a few months ago and it has since become my favorite carry pistol. I got the Wilson springs from Midway, took it down and lightly stoned every surface that contacted another. Packed the trigger group full of toothpaste and dry fired it over 1100 times. Cleaned it out with soapy hot water and lubricated with a light synthetic turbine engine grease and the trigger almost feels like a good S&W. Took a dremal and rounded off all the sharp edges and points on the trigger and surrounding areas and put a set of Pachmyer grips on.

Could use better sights like my L frame S&W but I like shooting it just as much and sure carry it a lot more. To me, the 3 inch small (yet indestructable) Ruger frame is perfect for a carry 357. I handload and my dad did years ago too. I still have some ballbusters he loaded up back in the 1970's when he and his buddies were trying to see just how strong a Blackhawk was. My little SP101 ate them just fine. Might have stung the hand a "little" and spit fire everydamnwhere, but kept on soldering along.

I carry the old tried and true Federal 125 grain "manstoppers" for now, will probably switch to some mid-range loaded soft lead 140 grain cast hollowpoints later after I get my Mihec mold through the castboolits forum. Plink with 158 grain cast SWC from a 6 gang Lee mold over good old 2400.

Top Bottom