• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rn7554

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I'm stuck, finally cut down my choices to Ruger SR9C and Bersa Thunder 9 ultra compact, both are in the same price range but don't know which I should get. Any suggestion and why you prefer the one over the other?

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I have the sr9c and I love it.... Very accurate, nice sites and good accessories.

Love the extended mag with added grip and the fact it has a nice slim profile which makes it a good medium between the range and CC. Its yet to FTF after about 500 rounds of various ammo including super cheap steel cased Tulammo.... Did I mention it was also voted handgun of the year in 2010 by a couple of sources?

I can't comment on the Bersa as I've never shot one, but I haven't had any problems with my Ruger.

However, beauty is in the hands of the be-"HOLD"er, so I suggest you pick them both up and see which one feels most comfortable.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    I have both and they are very comparable. Both are very solid firearms. You will find very loyal fans of both models. Here is my personal breakdown:

Similarities:
    • Similar size and weight.
    • Similar construction- steel slide over polymer frame.
    • Both have external safeties.
    • Both are DA/SA.
    • Both do well for IWB/OWB carry and are very concealable due to the shorter grip.
    • Both have good reputations for being very reliable and eating any ammo.
    Differences:
    • Ruger offers 10 & 17 round magazines. Bersa has 13-round magazines.
    • Ruger is striker fired while the Bersa is hammer fired and has a decocker.
    • Older Bersas had a problem with finish wear. Newer ones shouldn't have this problem.
    • Ruger has somewhat greater availability of accessories.
    • Bersas are somewhat cheaper, but have more expensive magazines.
    • The Bersa is slightly easier to break down/reassemble.
    • The Ruger has a two-part Glock-like trigger that acts as an additional safety.
    • Ruger is American made. The Bersa is from Argentina and is widely used by police in South America.
    I really like both, but would give the slight nod to the SR9c. Either will serve you well.

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I've had Bersa's in 9 (9UC and 9HC) and 45 and really like the guns. The Bersa's have a nice trigger, but the trigger reset is one of the best I've ever felt. It's an easy gun to shoot quickly. The closest I've come to the SR9C was at a gun store, so I cannot give any useful info on those.

Plisken

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Under the radar
    I have both and they are very comparable. Both are very solid firearms. You will find very loyal fans of both models. Here is my personal breakdown:

Similarities:
    • Similar size and weight.
    • Similar construction- steel slide over polymer frame.
    • Both have external safeties.
    • Both are DA/SA.
    • Both do well for IWB/OWB carry and are very concealable due to the shorter grip.
    • Both have good reputations for being very reliable and eating any ammo.
    Differences:
    • Ruger offers 10 & 17 round magazines. Bersa has 13-round magazines.
    • Ruger is striker fired while the Bersa is hammer fired and has a decocker.
    • Older Bersas had a problem with finish wear. Newer ones shouldn't have this problem.
    • Ruger has somewhat greater availability of accessories.
    • Bersas are somewhat cheaper, but have more expensive magazines.
    • The Bersa is slightly easier to break down/reassemble.
    • The Ruger has a two-part Glock-like trigger that acts as an additional safety.
    • Ruger is American made. The Bersa is from Argentina and is widely used by police in South America.
    I really like both, but would give the slight nod to the SR9c. Either will serve you well.
    This poster nailed it there both good guns and comparable. Ive shot both and there good shooters. Ill give the nod to the ruger I feel its a little smaller for cc and the mags for the bersa are pricey. Althoug im waiting for the bersa bp9cc to be availible here so I can take a look at it Im interested in that model as well. Good luck

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    I've owned an SR9c for about a year with somewhere north of 1000 rounds through it.
    Great gun love it, never had an issue of any kind with it. Eats everything well, even my reloads. If there ever is an issue, Ruger will take care of it.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I will cast another vote for the SR9C. I have had one for a few years and love it. Not sure of round count but it is over a couple thousand and still no problems.

jotto

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    NW Indiana
    I'd have to cast my vote for the SR9c as well. No issues with mine, like the different magazine sizes. Compact size without being too small to comfortably fire.

Thor20003

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    I have nothing against the Ruger but I am a die-hard Bersa fan. Very comfortable to carry and will shoot anything you put in it. The UC9 is very reliable gun. It also comes in 10 round magazine or 13 round.

Bersa gets my vote.

JGulley317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2012
    Marion Co.
    I have neither, so take my recommendation with a grain of salt. But from what I've seen, I'd take the Ruger. If I have time I'll get more in depth in another post.

Doug B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    I've got the SR9c. Absolutely love it.:D About 400 rounds thru it. Not a single problem - not one! I added a crimson trace and it's wonderful as well. Makes the gun look even better.
    :rockwoot:

I have three mags (one 10-round, two 17-round). In my hands at the range, I don't even notice the difference. Obviously, the ten-round is easier to conceal.

I've only run brass thru mine so far. Has anybody out there run a lot of russion steel casing ammo thru thiers? Any problems? Any unusual wear?

Adamz04

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2012
    Fort wayne
    i would give the nod to the sr9c, although i dont own one i have handled them and my brother in law had a bersa and i dont think it was anything to write home about. stick with made in usa. I have a glock and a ruger lc9 and i feel better about the ruger just cause of where it was made

cluznar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    I have a Ruger SR9c with a little over 300 rounds thru it with no problems.
    It has a nice trigger, is accurate and dependable.

However Bersa does make good guns also. I have a Bersa Thunder .380 which I carry sometimes and trust it completely. It is accurate and dependable.

Look at both guns, handle them and if you can shoot them then make a choice.

Either will do a good job, but I do like the SR9c. :patriot:

Gibster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Boone County
    Love my SR9c...good adj 3 dot sights...light recoil...mid sized...accurate... with no problems at all.

Note: The Bersa Thunder is fixed barrel design, which should add to it's accuracy, while the Ruger is not. No mounting rail for light or laser sight on Bersa.

Happy shootin'

Top Bottom