• ...and so much more!
  • marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    I wonder why they don't make them like the Ruger PC Carbine so that the bolt handle can be on either side? Of course that wouldn't have all the features of the lefty competition model.

binkerton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Coming from a long time left handed shooter, my question on this was why? Collectible? I've been shooting the right handed version just fine for years as well as many others. We adapt. No need to pay $800 for this thing. Now a southpaw bolt gun is a different story, talk about some awkward action.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Coming from a long time left handed shooter, my question on this was why? Collectible? I've been shooting the right handed version just fine for years as well as many others. We adapt. No need to pay $800 for this thing. Now a southpaw bolt gun is a different story, talk about some awkward action.
    Two reasons: Speed and safety.

I want to throw off the chains off my right-handed overlords.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Most lefties who wanted a left hand friendly 22 Auto loaded have been using the browning auto 22 with bottom ejection for years. When I see one for sale and take a look I often here the owner was a left handed shooter.

personally I would not spend 800 bills on a lefty 10/22. Pre Covid a Belgian bro wing auto 22 in less than mint condition could be had for far less. Sure the don’t have the tactical accessory market. It is a 22 auto not a **** hit the fan gun.
    To me the only accessorizes I need on a 22 long rifle are a sling and a scope and when my eyes worked better I just needed a sling.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I really don't understand the use of a different magazine. Is the feed ramp not centered on a 10-22? Not using the boatload of mags already available is going to hurt sales I would think.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I really don't understand the use of a different magazine. Is the feed ramp not centered on a 10-22? Not using the boatload of mags already available is going to hurt sales I would think.
    Probably reversed the bolt completely and it may not feed or feed reliably with the original magazines. Just a guess.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Cool, it’s about time, but I’ll stick with my Magnum Research MLR22ATUT. Going to be a while (if ever) before there’s much of a choice with stocks for this new rifle. I like the thumbhole stock too much.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Interesting… Magnum Research makes a “switchbolt” version now. Too bad you can only get it with the carbon fiber barrel which isn’t suppressor threaded. They do have different stock options, though. I think this might be a better answer for most left-handers, especially at nearly 2 pounds lighter and about $300 lower in list price:

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I shoot lefty, and have had 10/22's for years, I'll just stick with the right, mine is set up just as I like it....$800 is a s&%t ton of money to me....My 10/22 is paid for.....Glad to see they're responding to the lefty people though!!

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN

I'm a lefty and bolt guns are my thing, have always thought about buying a lefty, but then I'd be perpetually confused. AR's gassing me in the face on the other hand...

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I'm a lefty and bolt guns are my thing, have always thought about buying a lefty, but then I'd be perpetually confused. AR's gassing me in the face on the other hand...
    It's funny, I've had many bolt guns, but always sold them because as stated ,I shoot lefty, never could afford a left hand bolt....

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I've never experienced this phenominon. Is this just a suppressor thing? Never shot a suppressed AR yet.
    I don't own an AR, and this is one of the reasons. Shooting a RH direct impingement gun LH'ed will leave a bad taste in your mouth. Literally.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    $800 to make up for the modified tooling to make a relatively low production item.

left handed mag to go with it?! oof, someone's new to the game and skipped the VOC.

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    It's not an apples-to-apples comparison to say $750-800 for this and only $300 for the garden variety 10/22. The gray speckled RH and LH competition designs have the same MSRP: https://www.ruger.com/products/1022Competition/models.html

And... as a ballpark figure, they are selling about the same. For example:
    RH: Sportsmans Warehouse selling RH version for $750
    LH: Shop on Armslist selling LH version for $750

It makes sense to start with a premium 10/22. If a person is discontented with the bottom-barrel 22s and wants a lefty version, that person will likely be willing to pony up for a mid-tier 10/22. Not having the same magazines sucks, though. I'm not an engineer, but they shouldn't've done that if it could be worked with the original mags. I don't know enough about 10/22 magazines & bolts to have any technical insight into it.

For me, at this point, I don't shoot competitions (at this point anyway) so for hunting/plinking I'll probably just stick with the Ruger American rimfire bolt for the time being. Can get a brand new Browning SA-22 for 6-ish right now. But, if wanting the bull barrel and magazine fed, this is a nice option without getting into Volquartsen/Kidd/TacSol territory.

Top Bottom