• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Got SIG?

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I'm sure this has been covered somewhere on this site...I am not having luck finding it. Could someone please let me know what is required of a private citizen to sell a semi-auto pistol or rifle to another private citizen inside the state of Indiana?

Sorry if this is the wrong thread or forum to post to and thanks for the help.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I'm sure this has been covered somewhere on this site...I am not having luck finding it. Could someone please let me know what is required of a private citizen to sell a semi-auto pistol or rifle to another private citizen inside the state of Indiana?

Sorry if this is the wrong thread or forum to post to and thanks for the help.
    My understanding is no selling to felons and do not knowingly sell to someone who is buying on behalf of another (straw sale). That's all I've got. Oh, and only sell to 18 and up.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    My understanding is no selling to felons and do not knowingly sell to someone who is buying on behalf of another (straw sale). That's all I've got. Oh, and only sell to 18 and up.

That's about it, as long as you are both residents of Indiana.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Just ask...

Ask to see a photo ID=MUST be a resident of same state as seller. Read age also MUST be 18years or older.

I ask if buyer is prohibited from owning a firearm? (LTCH would be NICE to back up..)

If both above^^^ go well take the $ and give them the firearm..Bill

Got SIG?

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Indianapolis
    So it wouldn't matter if they have LTCH issued from Indiana? I guess my thought would be to ask for a driver's license and LTCH just to be safe...but again, I don't want to run afoul of any Indiana laws that deal with this issue.

Got SIG?

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Ask to see a photo ID=MUST be a resident of same state as seller.

I ask if buyer is prohibited from owning a firearm? (LTCH would be NICE to back up..)

If both above^^^ go well take the $ and give them the firearm..Bill

OOPS, sorry Bill, didn't see your post until I posted a moment ago. Thank you all for the insight. Very much appreciated.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Not having a License To Carry Handgun does not mean you cannot sell a handgun to that person.

You can sell handguns and long guns to anyone over 18 years of age in a private sale as long as they are a "proper person" and also a resident of Indiana (assuming that you, OP, are a resident of Indiana).

other dave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Howard County
    From what I was told 1 was a legitimate sale (the buyer really wanted the gun). The other was an agent just making sure that the seller was actually checking ID's.

Got SIG?

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Not having a License To Carry Handgun does not mean you cannot sell a handgun to that person.

You can sell handguns and long guns to anyone over 18 years of age in a private sale as long as they are a "proper person" and also a resident of Indiana (assuming that you, OP, are a resident of Indiana).

I am indeed... thank you!

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Be sure to ALWAYS see their ID! I've had a couple members tell me that they've gone to FTF's and the other party was ATF.

My father said ATF tried similar stuff at gun shows a while back. The ATF would camp tables and ask to buy pistols at a marked up price after people just purchased them. I guess the catch was they would say they couldn't buy from the dealers, then try to distract by changing the subject.

I've had a few encounters on Armslist with "good intentioned" buyers from out-of-state asking to purchase from me. You're honestly better safe than sorry with an ID and LTCH. Best of luck.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    One more thing I always do, even if selling to neighbor I've known for years or a brother. Write up a bill of sale, with my name, type of gun, serial #, date, selling price, purchacer's name and his and my signatures. If someone 2 years later kills someone with a gun I once owned, I want proof that I sold that gun...2 years ago.

And a copy for both of us.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Bill of Sale - Good point, will do.

Assuming you are keeping in mind some folks don't care to sign a bill of sale?
    I can take it or leave it. Since it's not legally required, I'm not apt to give any info I don't have to unless you have something I cannot find elsewhere. I would NOT be happy if you surprised me with this at the time of sale.

I'm quite happy to provide IN driver's license and LTCH for verification of residency and not a felon.

Top Bottom