• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indyrich

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    NE INDY
    So I am looking at buying some shotguns, possibly hand gun at a couple different estate auctions. Does anyone know the procedure, and if anyone has been able to buy for a better deal at an estate sale vs. used at a gun shop? Thanks for any help/ suggestions!

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    So I am looking at buying some shotguns, possibly hand gun at a couple different estate auctions. Does anyone know the procedure, and if anyone has been able to buy for a better deal at an estate sale vs. used at a gun shop? Thanks for any help/ suggestions!

Some times it depends on the actual auction and who shows up, if the items have been appraised and have a reserve set, you may not get a big deal and depending on exactly what weapon it is, condition etc can drive it up, you just have to do your homework a head of time to avoid getting ripped off

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    It's a crap shoot, i feel estate auctions are better than gun auctions at a auction house (aka christys). Yes you will find alot of good deals, unfortunately the hot ones are mostly semi-autos, pistols, rifles, etc, so they usually go for retail. My dad really scores big on the old guns and then ends up making a little extra $ down the road.

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    oh yea, if it has a proxibid, check it the night before. If the guns are already high, it will only get worse the day of, so save yourself the drive sometimes.

Indyrich

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    NE INDY
    Thanks for that insight, I will definitely check, but I don't recall seeing anything about a reserve in the listings of the auctions I was looking at. I will probably call them ahead to make sure.
    I know I have bought other things at auctions that "fall through the cracks" I just wondered if anyone had a similar experiance buying firearms at an estate auction.

mike4sigs

Master
    Rating - 94.4%
    34   2   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Southern Adams County
    In this area if a gun is advertised at an auction and if it is desireable it goes higher than normal. auction excitement gets to a lot of people!
    Do your home work on the gun and auctioneer and dont forget that you may have to pay a transfer fee so make sure you add that onto your final price!

Indyrich

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    NE INDY
    Who determines if there is a transfer fee? Is that dictated by the Auction company or the seller and will it be the same price (20-$35) as a normal transfer fee?

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    I have bought a few guns at auctions and gotten some great deals, and seen stuff go way to high. I have never had a transfer fee, but some auctions do charge a buyers premium usually 10% of the final bid price. If you win the bid at $500 you have a $50 premium and $35 sales tax so you need $585 for that. Just find out if the auction house has the premiums ahead of time so you dont get burned. If anything just go to one and look at all the pretty guns and how some people get stupid around them. I go for the enjoyment as much as anything.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I actually have a few friends who are auctioneers.

This is for personal property auctions, but if the firearms are sold on the owners property, they can be transfered to the auction winner as if it was a FTF transaction.

If the firearms are removed from the owners property, to say an auction house, for the auction, then they must be transferred through an FFL.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I bought several guns, at auction, in Shelbyville, and even tho, the dealer, made one phone call, for check, I paid a per gun charge...
    don't remember how much, 10-20 $ per gun, I think...

Dawall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Lake County
    Attended a auction by Cookes in NWI. They paid the transfer fee and the 4473 was done at Westforth's. Sold prices varied but in all there were some deals.

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    just an observation.... I have never had any luck buying at an auction... seems that the nephew 5x removed who married Aunt Nellie's now dearly departed neighbors cousin wants the gun for sentimental reasons and pays 4x what it's worth.

Indyrich

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    NE INDY
    That makes sense on the transfer fee only being applied if removed from the owners home.
    I also thought about family bidding high at a personal property auction.

I would pass along the auctions I am looking at going to, but then you would be a competative bidder:draw:

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    I have started making a cheat sheet of bid price vs. final price. It includes taxes, premium, txfer fees. I've bought many fewer guns at auctions since I started this process.

E'villeGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    My only experience with an auction where there were a LOT of guns was at an auction house and I ended up spending the whole day there just watching for the most part. Was looking to bid on some .22 rifles they had listed but they ALL went for $250 and up. So I just gave up and just watched till toward the end there was one .22 rifle left and I guess everyone that was there to bid for a .22 had theirs. I got it for $100 and its a Savage Model 6 Deluxe. looked like it came off the showroom floor.
    Pretty much everything went for way too much in my opinion.
    They did the transfer right there at the auction house.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Would you say gun broker is a good place to get a current pulse on the used gun market?

I'm not extremely well versed in current market values, but I've been on a lot of gun sites lately doing research, and they seem pretty in line with what I've found elsewhere. New guns are where the real variation seems to be. The gun I just got is listed on there anywhere between $510 and $600 currently (only one listed at the moment, $600) last week it was between $510 and $750... Lots of variation on the same model.

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    My experiences were pretty much what is listed here earlier. Family members couldn't decide who got what gun so they put it on the auction and let the family fight it out that way. Thus the gun brings more than actual value to regular joes like you and me. The other thing I have seen, a couple of the auctioneers that sell on the estate and do it basically as a FTF sale, well those guns bring people out of the woodwork that maybe can't buy a gun at a store for whatever reason, so they pay a little more for the opportunity. But an auction is a crapshoot, the one you don't attend will be where the guns bring fify bucks each and the one you attend will be thousands of dollars per gun. It is purely the "thrill of the hunt" so to speak.

Top Bottom