• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    My sturdy pair of Running Shoes has died. 13 years young. As I was just finishing mile 1 of 4 I felt an odd lift. I thought the treadmill was going out of whack, but then realized that my heel had died. Much sadness was had.

Anyhoo, where do you guys who run go to get your running shoes? I've just restarted morning walks (soon to be morning jogs) and need a good, sturdy pair for the treadmill.

I'd like to go to a store to get them and try them on rather than just buy on the interwebs, as I want to try them on.

maansmit

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    Greenfield
    Asics are the only athletic shoe I buy. I pretty much buy the same pair every time so I just order off the internet. I tend to browse at Dick's Sporting Goods or Finish Line.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I just use Nike or Reebok. Really, whichever is cheaper and feels the best. I have bought from Dicks Sporting Goods, or at the Edinburgh Outlet mall.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I've been an ASICS Nimbus runner for about 8 years now; have a number of halves and the Chicago Marathon on them and they work great. They do typically run north of a C-note, though, and I normally retire shoes from running to 'wear around' at the 400 mile mark.

MilliJac

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2014
    The Fort
    Fred Toenges Shoes and Pedorthics in Ft Wayne is where I will buy the rest of my shoes until I die or they close. They'll sit you down, measure you, analyze your stride and stance, and they have pedorthists on staff there that can go even more in depth if it turns out you need it. They have a Muncie store, but I have never been and my understanding is that it is much smaller.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Just got my first pair of Brooks Glycerin 13, you can try them on at Dicks and they can be bought on Amazon for $104.

They are like running on pillows!

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    I was looking @ REI yesterday and they seem to have several different types of shoes. They were not cheap, but you also get a 1 year return policy and if you get the lifetime membership you get a rebate.

cjcinin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    Had good luck with new balance. Usually from zappos.
    I try for made in USA and check reviews mostly for sizing info. Internet reviews are usually all over the place.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Brooks. Get fit for the shoe you need based on your height, weight, pronation and use. Brooks Ravena and GTS fit me well, but YOU need the style that fits you and your purpose. I put a minimum of 1200 running miles a year on mine and go through 2 pairs a year. Best running shoes I have ever worn.

Once you find your model and size, go to Dick's online and order last years model at basically half price. Going through 2 pairs a year, I can't afford this years model and this years price every 6 months.

Dirty Steve

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    If anyone gets to Seattle for business or vacation, Brooks started there,

They have an outlet store there that the wife and I hit every trip. The outlet store has all their discountinued or last years leftovers... all for $30 to $50 a pair.

Edit-I am wearing some Ghost 7's that I paid $39+tax the first week of May this year.

Last edited:

saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    Not a runner, but a hiker...Wife, who is from Seattle originally turned me on to Brooks shoes. I haven't worn anything since...
    http://www.brooksrunning.com/en_

I was told by the folks at Brooks that they are stocked at Nordstrums....

QFT - Brooks is excellent for runners! The are also sold in Dick's stores if you want to try on a pair. Check out their web site first and do a little reading about the types of shoes for the way YOUR foot moves while walking/running so you pick a style that gives you the best results. I've got IndyJohn in a pair and it's about time to replace them...many miles later.

PaulKersey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    Evansville
    I run about 35-40 miles per week in the Brooks Ghost series. I love Brooks over any other running shoe. For the person with a neutral foot, the Ghost is awesome. The Brooks website currently has the Ghost 8 on sale for $78 with free shipping. It retails for $120, but is on sale because the Ghost 9 just came out.

Top Bottom