• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smidrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2016
    Next Door
    well they have them right now on sale for $429 thinking about picking one up. Whats everybody thought on this brand for the price sounds like a deal to me..Plus you can always(lay it away) so the wife dont kill you LOL

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    DPMS Oracle is a fine entry into the AR15 genre.
    It is entry level with no bells and whistles, but it is an entirely serviceable firearm.
    That's also a hard price to beat.

smidrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2016
    Next Door
    DPMS Oracle is a fine entry into the AR15 genre.
    It is entry level with no bells and whistles, but it is an entirely serviceable firearm.
    That's also a hard price to beat.

Yeah thats what I wanted to hear...sounds like one hell of a deal to me

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Personally, I'd continue saving and get a nicer rifle. I've never regretted waiting, saving, and getting something of significantly higher quality. But that's just me. If this is all you can afford and you won't be able to save more, I don't think you'll find anything better in the low $400 range.

AR's are on a logarithmic curve for price vs. quality. Jumping from the $400-500 bracket into the $700-900 bracket gets you a hell of a lot of bang for your buck. Continuing on up, you'll get less and less for the money spent. But that jump from $400-500 rifles up to $700-900 rifles is really worth the extra money spent. You'll get into seriously dependable rifles that have mil-spec BCG's, nice chrome lined barrels, and good parts all around.

But again, if a mid-$400 rifle is all you can afford and all you'll be able to save, it's most certainly better than no rifle. That's for dang sure.

BADWOLF

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 24, 2015
    Small Town USA
    Can't tell you how many times I have used rural kings 60 day layaway. Its a good deal locks in the price and if the price drops before you get it out you can go in while the lower price is good and take it out then and get the even lower price. And you can transfer the layaway to an other gun if you change your mind with some restrictions. But I'll agree with the other posters and say do the layaway but on a better rifle...

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I've got one. Mine has been an o.k. rifle. Accuracy has actually been quite good, about 1.25"@100 yards with its favorite ammo. Reliability has also been o.k., had a couple FTF early on, but some of that could have been using fairly light ammo in a new, tight rifle, just didn't have enough oomph to completely cycle the bolt. Since then it has been 100%.
    A couple bad things. The front site block is lower than the receiver rail so if you want irons you need to choose carefully for height, not to mention if you do much shooting that area gets HOT so material is also a factor. Also there is no provision for a front sling attachment, not a big deal unless you want to tote it around.
    And at that price it's hard to pass up.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I'd pass on the DPMS, I had one and got rid of it after 1 month of shooting it. As others have stated save a bit and get something with the whistles and bells. The handguard and the front sight gas block mount were the biggest issues for me.

Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    I have the DPMS Oracle and am pleased with it. As stated, it is serviceable. I have upgraded the trigger though. I have never had an issue with function.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    $429 + tax is $459.03 out the door. You won't find a better price than that. The difference in price vs the S&W will buy a lot of ammo, an optic, etc.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    At this price level, it's not about saving for bells and whistles. It's about saving up for something that at least meets mil-spec such as a Colt 6920, Spikes, upper end PSA, etc... Pay for reliability first. Then move on to bells and whistles. And keep in mind that if you buy a good mil-spec rifle, you can add bells and whistles to it when funds allow.

Mil-spec is the cheapest option the .gov has approved to be adequately reliable. It's the cheapest I'd personally go as well. The DPMS, S&W Sport, etc... are beneath even mil-spec. Quality control and reliability will be suspect. It may be fine for a plinker, but they're really likely to fail if you drive them hard.

If possible, save the extra couple hundred and buy something that at the minimum meets mil-spec. If you can't save more, run what you brung applies. Any rifle is better than no rifle.

I'd pass on the DPMS, I had one and got rid of it after 1 month of shooting it. As others have stated save a bit and get something with the whistles and bells. The handguard and the front sight gas block mount were the biggest issues for me.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Do bolt lugs shear off after 1000 rounds because the bolt wasn't properly heat treated or shot peened?
    Does your barrel throw random fliers because it wasn't properly stress relieved?

You get what you pay for.

Does the DPMS fail to feed?
    Does it hit what you aim at?

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    Do bolt lugs shear off after 1000 rounds because the bolt wasn't properly heat treated or shot peened?
    Does your barrel throw random fliers because it wasn't properly stress relieved?

Mine doesn't. Of course I bought mine back in 2007 before Barack Obama was elected so perhaps they weren't pushing them out the door with poor quality control. My round count is probably 1000-1200 and the bolt lugs haven't sheared off yet. I know there are AR rifle out there that have higher mil spec standards and perhaps better QC, but for the occasional plinking that my rifle is called to do, it serves me well. If I was planning on fighting a war, I might pick something else.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette

It is my opinion that your opinion stinks.

YMMV

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Most assuredly not the norm...

[video=youtube;mxfqOGEkaxU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxfqOGEkaxU[/video]

smidrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2016
    Next Door
    I put the S&W mp 15 in lay away..price seemed right.. not really wanting a high dollar AR...guns come and go lol, unless I could build me a M16.... already got a bush patrolman that seems to do the trick...thanks glad I passed on the dpms

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Those guys in the video are just average joes out having fun and it appears that they shoot the **** out of their oracles and really like them. I can't really speak from experience because I've never owned one but I get the feeling that some detractors have'nt owned one personally either.

Top Bottom