0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Moscow signals concern for Russians in Estonia | Reuters

[h=1]Moscow signals concern for Russians in Estonia[/h] By Robert Evans
    GENEVA Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:03pm EDT

69 Comments

[h=3]Related Topics[/h]

(Reuters) - Russia signaled concern on Wednesday at Estonia's treatment of its large ethnic Russian minority, comparing language policy in the Baltic state with what it said was a call in Ukraine to prevent the use of Russian.
    Russia has defended its annexation of Ukraine's Crimea peninsula by arguing it has the right to protect Russian-speakers outside its borders, so the reference to linguistic tensions in another former Soviet republic comes at a highly sensitive moment.
    Russia fully supported the protection of the rights of linguistic minorities, a Moscow diplomat told the United Nations Human Rights Council in Geneva, according to a summary of the session issued by the U.N.'s information department.
    "Language should not be used to segregate and isolate groups," the diplomat was reported as saying. Russia was "concerned by steps taken in this regard in Estonia as well as in Ukraine," the Moscow envoy was said to have added.
    The text of the Russian remarks, echoing long-standing complaints over Estonia's insistence that the large Russian minority in the east of the country should be able to speak Estonian, was not immediately available.
    But amid the growing Crimea crisis, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania - which like Ukraine were all parts of the old Soviet Union - have expressed growing apprehension over Moscow's intentions.
    U.S. Vice President Joe Biden is currently in the Lithuanian capital Vilnius as part of a trip to reassure the three countries, all European Union and NATO members, of Washington's support.
    Ukraine told the rights council that U.N. experts had found no credible evidence of mistreatment of its Russian minority as alleged by Moscow -- one of whose pro-Kremlin newspapers said this week there was "bloodshed almost like in Syria" in the east of the country.
    The new government in Kiev, a Ukrainian envoy declared, was reinvigorating its promotion and protection of the rights of minorities "to the highest international standards".
    The envoy asked what measures could be taken to protect Ukrainian, Crimean Tatar and other minority groups in Crimea "whose rights are being violated under the Russian occupation."
    Responding, the Russian delegate said there were no violations of minority rights in Crimea and minorities were not being persecuted. The new Russian-backed government there had guaranteed protection of the Tatars.
    (Reporting by Robert Evans; Editing by Mark Trevelyan)

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Estonia....a member of NATO.

Crimea? Russian overreaching, disquieting, but maybe nothing there we should be involved in.

Estonia? A full NATO member? Uh oh. I just started reading Tom Clancy's "Command Authority". Please, no one ruin it for me.

OneShotFOGE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Well, we might as just give them the Sudete... I mean Estonia now. Hopefully that will appease Putin and he'll totally be happy and not invade any more countries.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I trained to fight the Soviets on the great plains of eastern Europe....that's what we did before Gulf War 1. All of a sudden, this useless knowledge may become useful....but I'm still old and fat.

OneShotFOGE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Well, the entire military has lost focus on fighting an open war with another powerful army. The focus has turned to combating insurgents armed with light weapons and no air power, since that is what the Middle East wars have been.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    They're probably concerned because it's a well known fact in the Kremlin that Estonia and pretty much every other place in Europe is run by fascists.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I trained to fight the Soviets on the great plains of eastern Europe....that's what we did before Gulf War 1. All of a sudden, this useless knowledge may become useful....but I'm still old and fat.

I'm with you, brother. Are we headed for the Fulda Gap? :rockwoot:

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Well, the entire military has lost focus on fighting an open war with another powerful army. The focus has turned to combating insurgents armed with light weapons and no air power, since that is what the Middle East wars have been.

Yeah, and we're getting rid of the A-10 - the pre-eminent tank-busting weapon in our arsenal for combating a Russian blitzkrieg across Europe. JDAMS? Have to have air superiority to make them effective - and we won't have it against the soviets - er, Russians.

Top Bottom