Not open for further replies.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    France and Britain had a defense pact with Poland and did declare war on Germany last time,but they could not provide much to prevent the fall of Poland. When the dust settled years later Poland was a carved up country(in the north Lithuania, Estonia and Latvia were part of Poland back then...the rest I am not going to bother looking up,but it ended WW2 much smaller than it was).
    Poland gained some territory from Germany, lost a lot more to the commies.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    France and Britain had a defense pact with Poland and did declare war on Germany last time,but they could not provide much to prevent the fall of Poland. When the dust settled years later Poland was a carved up country(in the north Lithuania, Estonia and Latvia were part of Poland back then...the rest I am not going to bother looking up,but it ended WW2 much smaller than it was).
    Kinda wrong. The Baltic States were NOT part of Poland. They were independent States. In 1939, Germany and the USSR partitioned Poland with USSR advancing the Red Army to the Bug River. Following WW2, The USSR retained that part of Poland and Poland's western border was shifted West to the Oder River, taking territory from Germany. Poland also annexed the southern part of East Prussia (German territory) with the northern part of EP annexed by the USSR.

Hohenheim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2023
    Warsaw, Indiana
    Perhaps its just hot news designed to sell, but I hear almost on the daily how we ALMOST went to war with China, Russia, or North Korea. A rogue missile here, a navy stand off there, an angry press conference somewhere on the news. Something is always almost sparking war. I eventually stopped listening because it got too repetitive. I personally think government officials and their backers like their money too much to shut down the majority of world trade if two world superpowers went to war. Anyone here genuinely believe we are on the brink of war? If so, what's your reasoning?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Perhaps its just hot news designed to sell, but I hear almost on the daily how we ALMOST went to war with China, Russia, or North Korea. A rogue missile here, a navy stand off there, an angry press conference somewhere on the news. Something is always almost sparking war. I eventually stopped listening because it got too repetitive. I personally think government officials and their backers like their money too much to shut down the majority of world trade if two world superpowers went to war. Anyone here genuinely believe we are on the brink of war? If so, what's your reasoning?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well, calling up the ready reserve is something unusual.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    And yes, there are almost always "incidents".

That's why when planes are near our coast, I roll my eyes.
    We do it, they do it, no biggie.

But the incidents seem to be increasing in freq and level, to the point the a Government claiming to value peace peace peace, is calling up ready reservists.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Work is already well along at developing quantum electronics based inertial sensors that are several orders of magnitude more precise than laser ring gyros, making inertial navigation (which relies on no signal and is thus unjammable) accurate enough for precision weapon targeting

War will only speed up innovation, same as always

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Trump has already declared, if reelected, he will end U.S. aid to Ukraine.
    If Ukraine is going to make serious advances toward independence, they had better do it quick...

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    This war will never end until political leadership works something out. Each offensive gets gradually weaker as logistically it's more costly to stay on the offensive. One side increases it's supplies and launches an offensive that runs out of gas and then the other side has a go, much like the Iran Iraq war. At the end of the day it looks like WW1 punctuated with strikes on soft targets that will be denounced as terrorism.

You will continue to hear, and the Russians will hear it on thier side how we just need another trillion to vanquish the enemy. As long as the Russian leadership is willing to burn up their economy and the US keeps playing sugar daddy, the war will go on, and on, and on.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Work is already well along at developing quantum electronics based inertial sensors that are several orders of magnitude more precise than laser ring gyros, making inertial navigation (which relies on no signal and is thus unjammable) accurate enough for precision weapon targeting

War will only speed up innovation, same as always
    So we're training the Russians to defeat our technology? That makes sense in some universe, perhaps.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    So we're training the Russians to defeat our technology? That makes sense in some universe, perhaps.
    We are giving the Russians the opportunity to find battlefield work-arounds on our current, deployed technology. They in turn are showing us exploitable vulnerabilities in that technology so we can shore them up or introduce new technology to solve the impasse

The flip side is also true, we see the weaknesses of their deployed technology and how that might be exploited and the Russians in turn learn where their equipment is in need of upgrade and do so if they are able

That's been going on since Vietnam and the pace has only been accelerating

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom