• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Ok so a friend of mine called me this morning and said he is in need of some extra cash for the holidays and offered me the chance to buy his Russian SKS complete with original bayonet, scope and russian scope mount for right at $300. I kinda feel like i might be taking advantage of him bc i feel the rifle is worth more than that but idk so im asking you guys. Whats it worth with all the accesories? Idk the year of the rifle all i know is its one of the nicest SKS that ive ever seen and i know he hasnt shot it much and that he is more of a clean freak about his guns than i am. Id say its in about 95% condition if not better. If its worth more then i plan on offering more if not then im still gonna take it just to help out a friend in need. Any info is appreciated thanks.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    That's a good price; I suggest you take it and not feel bad about it. The scope and mount do not add much to the value of the gun, as they are almost certainly not Russian.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Ok thanks guys sounds good.

Shooter, i know the russian stuff is rare these days but this rifle was purchased in the 70's when the russian import stuff was more common, my friend is considerably older than i am, so when i get it ill look for the russian proof marks and if i cant find any ill bring it to you and let you look at it. Trust me youll know me. I know he told me it was original to the rifle but thats hard to prove. I know for a fact its not the B-square mount and scope.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Shooter, i know the russian stuff is rare these days but this rifle was purchased in the 70's when the russian import stuff was more common, ...

'70's? There were NO Russian imports in the '70'a except scarce as hen's teeth Vietnam bringbacks. You must mean the '90's.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    '70's? There were NO Russian imports in the '70'a except scarce as hen's teeth Vietnam bringbacks. You must mean the '90's.

Maybe not the 70's but im pretty sure it wasnt the 90's maybe the mid to late 80's or early 90's. Idk honestly i was only about 5 years old in the early 90's. He told me it was when they had pallets of them for $100 bucks a piece at the 1500. He said he spent hours picking through hundreds of them and picked out the very best ones he could find. He said that one had the scope and mount on it when he bought it and i belive him, and i kow for a fact the rifle is russian as for he scope and mount i really dont know it may not be. Anyway it still sounds like a good deal and im helping my friend out so im gonna take it.

Black_Wolf

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Northwest Ind
    We used to get the russian sks with all accoutrements and a case of ammo for about 80 bucks OTD from hobart lumber.

That was around 1991/92

I don't remember any large importation before that of russian sks.

I could be wrong though???

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    What makes the Russian versions so much more desireable than the Chinese Norincos?
    Are the Russian guns better built, or are there just fewer of them?

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Maybe not the 70's but im pretty sure it wasnt the 90's maybe the mid to late 80's or early 90's. Idk honestly i was only about 5 years old in the early 90's. He told me it was when they had pallets of them for $100 bucks a piece at the 1500. He said he spent hours picking through hundreds of them and picked out the very best ones he could find. He said that one had the scope and mount on it when he bought it and i belive him, and i kow for a fact the rifle is russian as for he scope and mount i really dont know it may not be. Anyway it still sounds like a good deal and im helping my friend out so im gonna take it.

It had to be 1992 or after. Russia could not export firearms to the U.S. before that time. After they were granted Most Favored Nation trade status in 1992 they were permitted to ship firearms to the U.S. That's when the box loads started to come in. I picked up a couple of them at about $130 at the 1500 when they first started arriving. $130 was a lot for an SKS at the time because the Chicoms had been as low as $80.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    What makes the Russian versions so much more desireable than the Chinese Norincos?
    Are the Russian guns better built, or are there just fewer of them?

There are fewer. They a tad bit better as far as fit and finish and the Russkies were the originators so there is an allure in that.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I just picked up a 53 Tula Russian SKS refurb in nice shape (stock one year off and remarked and the bayo is electro penciled) for $325 from an Ingo member. I wanted it because I was born in 53, now I need ammo.

The refurbs are supposed to be better shooters if they have had new barrels fitted.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    oldfish15
    Top Bottom