• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    The ONLY reason the F22 is getting iced is because the JSF is cheaper. Nothing more, nothing less.

Dogfighting is NOT obsolete. In the world of stealth, AAMs and AMRAAMs will be harder to use. Dogfights will always be a necessary evil. To not train and develop for this is suicide. Dogfighting will never be obsolete, only the tactics used will change with the technology. Look at WWII fighters. Then Compare them to WWI dogfighting. Then Compare THAT to Vietnam/Korea. Then compare that to the engagements involving Israel and the F16.

With each new technological breakthrough, dogfighting EVOLVED, but never, and I mean NEVER will it become obsolete.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    thats what you call flying off the engine, errrr thrust!

Since its an airshow, I bet that plane has been modified with more thrust, or different engines.

Throw enough power at a plane and it will do that. Look up 3D R/C plane flying to see what Im talking about.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Oh, I still think so, even after seeing the F-22. The F-22 has a better avionics and warfare electronics package, but the SU30 spanks it in flight characteristics.

My impression partly based on reading and partly on my AF pilot brother's statements is that flight characteristics almost don't matter any more. In the Gulf War and such like confrontations, our pilots have operated in an information environment where they know exactly where they are and exactly where the enemy is, while the enemy knows neither, and our weapons can take them out before they even know they're being engaged.

That said, I kind of agree with SavageEagle. You never know what's going to happen next, so it's good to keep your weapons versatile.

I wonder though if the Vietnam-era Sparrows had acutally worked, maybe the lack of a gun wouldn't have been as big a deal.

Top Bottom