Northrop_YF-23_DFRC.jpg

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Nice plane, derivative or not; I'll start worrying if they can afford to build more than a couple of prototypes.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Is that the "Valkyrie" behind/above....?????
    Yes, it is. They are currently located in the annex that you have to take a bus to get to, but another addition to the main museum is under construction. It is expected to open in the spring and they will be moved then.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I was paying attention to the nozzles. It doesn't appear to do much with thrust vectoring and still is very manueverable. Slick!

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Looks like a bulked up Su-27. While the lines are sorta F-22/YF-23ish, I'm not sure it is particularly stealthy.

Funny to watch it do the funky not-really-tactical things that Russian pilots do at airshows, like the Pugachev's Cobra-stall maneuver and the funky flat spin thing.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Looks like a bulked up Su-27. While the lines are sorta F-22/YF-23ish, I'm not sure it is particularly stealthy.

Funny to watch it do the funky not-really-tactical things that Russian pilots do at airshows, like the Pugachev's Cobra-stall maneuver and the funky flat spin thing.

There were leaks that said the YF23 outperformed the F22 in every way, but McDonnell was in the dog house, big time, for cost overruns and other issues on the Navy attack jet, I think called the A12. Not sure how true, but I never heard anyone refute the claims.

ranger2k

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Franklin
    I had the privilege of doing design work on the F-22 and and the A-12 while at General Dynamics (now Lockheed in Ft. Worth). As stated, the 23 did outperform the 22 but the 23 was noted to be not as agile by those that flew it in simulated combat. The A-12 was to be a carrier based attack platform, the primary contract was with GD and our partner was Mac Air in St. Louis. I did power system design, some of the most fun work I have ever done :)

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    As stated, the 23 did outperform the 22 but the 23 was noted to be not as agile by those that flew it in simulated combat.

What a cool job!

As for this quote, I think the T-50 would have the same issue with the huge wing area. I mean, the Cobra and flat-spin-in-forward-flight tricks are neat, but they do not seem to present a strategic or tactical advantage. And unless that thing is coated with radar absorbing material that's better than what we have, I don't see it being very stealthy.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

TLex, the Pugachev does have a purpose. It is a maneuver designed to break the targeting lock of a heat seeking missile by masking the exhausts briefly to anything on the a/c's six and drastically reducing its speed to cause an overshoot

Top Bottom