• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I use 0000 steel wool and liberal amounts of Break Free. I rub it lightly and check my work often. Once the rust is gone I use cold blue to touch up the spots and then wipe down the whole gun with a good oil.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Depending on how bad it is, you may want to try Bronze Wool. Usually a little less aggressive so if you have some real stubborn rust spots it may not be enough, but it should also be much easier on your finish. The other advantage is that it won't rust. With Steel wool it can leave little bits of steel that will start rusting, bronze wool is usually meant for marine use afaik with rust prevention in mind.

vzdude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   1
    Jan 20, 2011
    Kentland, IN
    Depending on how bad it is, you may want to try Bronze Wool. Usually a little less aggressive so if you have some real stubborn rust spots it may not be enough, but it should also be much easier on your finish. The other advantage is that it won't rust. With Steel wool it can leave little bits of steel that will start rusting, bronze wool is usually meant for marine use afaik with rust prevention in mind.

That is an awesome idea! Where can I get bronze wool at? I haven't seen it at lowes or menards...etc.....Maybe I just wasn't looking for it either, when I went in I was looking for steel wool.?.?.?

chilly2477

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    thx for all suggestions, and the bronze wool is a first I've heard steel wool and was looking for other ideas, im glad I asked, will look into flitz as well

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    That is an awesome idea! Where can I get bronze wool at? I haven't seen it at lowes or menards...etc.....Maybe I just wasn't looking for it either, when I went in I was looking for steel wool.?.?.?

I was told places that carry marine supplies usually have it, but I never ended up finding any (didn't spend to much time looking) and just ended up ordering some from Amazon. More expensive than steel wool, but it's not like it broke the bank.

EDIT:
    Went and checked my order history.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AXS0Q/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00

On the gun I was working on there were a couple real bad areas it couldn't handle, but it made NO impact on the finish (Nearly 100 year old bluing). All finishes are different so make sure you take it slow and go easy at first just in case.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    This oil impregnated cloth works like a champ. I had a shotgun get wet without my realizing it and while it wasn't pitted, it was definitely discolored with rust. A little elbow grease (and I mean a little), and this removed the discoloration and didn't disturb the blueing at all. I bought mine at Orion Arms in Jeff.

Metal Care Cloth

other dave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Howard County
    Prism polish works great. It also removes that oxidized hazy look from nickel finished guns but doesn't hurt the finish. I've also had great success removing freckling from blued surfaces with just about any decent gun oil or Rig grease and stainless steel wool.

ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    I use 0000 steel wool DRY. I know dry seems counterintuitive however the super fine steel wool is not an abrasive itself. The sharp edges of the wool is what removes the rust. Rust IS an abrasive and the rust particles you are removing are trapped in oil and then rubbed back and forth across the finish. Get the spots you are working on as dry as possible and then lightly work the 0000 steel wool over the area. Stop often and shake the dust from the wool as well as dusting the surface you are working on. Once you have achieved the result you want then you can lightly oil.
    I had a friend who owned a gun shop and at the end of the day after hours of the guns on display being handled he would always wipe them all down. Often there would be light surface rust building already or on guns he took in trade there would be rust. This is how he did it and you can definitely tell the difference in guns that have been done this way and ones that used oil. This is MUCH easier on the finish.

Top Bottom