• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Argh! Then I'm going to have to get creative. Drob's route might be an option, but I'd just have to get south of town then come back north to that Liberty Rd. route mentioned earlier. What a pain in the butt! :(
    Liberty Church Road is south of Martinsville, and can be used to access Burton.

My In-laws have been dealing with this mess since it started. They live on the North Western edge MMSF, and for the longest time the only way they could get to Martinsville was taking Liberty Church till it runs into Burton.

This project has been FUBAR'd from the get go. To get to IU football games the fastest and best route I had was to take 67 to Gosport, cut through the country to 46 and then in. Coming back home on more than on occasion I took 46 to Columbus, Got off on 44 in Franklin and ran it over to Mooresville and home.

This whole mess could have been avoided if a new dedicated route was built, but OH NO, Bloomington just had to have 69 run through.
    The straightest most direct route has always been a mirror route of IN-67. Heck even Mooresville biotched about it looping south of Mooresville, then to the west of town and connecting somewhere between 267 and the rest area on I70.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Liberty Church Road is south of Martinsville, and can be used to access Burton.

My In-laws have been dealing with this mess since it started. They live on the North Western edge MMSF, and for the longest time the only way they could get to Martinsville was taking Liberty Church till it runs into Burton.

This project has been FUBAR'd from the get go. To get to IU football games the fastest and best route I had was to take 67 to Gosport, cut through the country to 46 and then in. Coming back home on more than on occasion I took 46 to Columbus, Got off on 44 in Franklin and ran it over to Mooresville and home.

This whole mess could have been avoided if a new dedicated route was built, but OH NO, Bloomington just had to have 69 run through.
    The straightest most direct route has always been a mirror route of IN-67. Heck even Mooresville biotched about it looping south of Mooresville, then to the west of town and connecting somewhere between 267 and the rest area on I70.
    When they had the section torn up from Martinsville to Bloomington on one occasion when I was leaving the club, I cut over to 67 down to Gosport and then came into Bloomington due to a rather massive southbound stoppage on 37/69.

Indy_Hunter68

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    Greenfield
    Really adds time and miles for my trips from Greenfield to Greene County. I-65 south to 46 through Bloomington.
    The only saving grace with that route is not sitting in bumper to bumper traffic. Usually a little extra traffic in Nashville, but that is usually tolerable.
    The optimist in me hopes the complete closure speeds up the process, but common sense guided by experience says no way this is done in a year!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    They anticipate Indy travelers taking 67 all the way north. They just finished updating the 465 ramps/turn lanes to optimize them. I dont think its coincidental as we have been asking for improvements for years, but they always just shrugged and said there wasnt anything they could do because of the RR tracks. They always defaulted to completely rebuilding the ramps not anything else.

I guess when THEY needed improvements, they finally figured it out. Its not the best, but better than it was. One of the things drivers figured out years ago was the continuous strip of pavement that was marked as repeated individual turn lanes for various streets (northbound) could be used as a turn lane for the 465EB ramp. INDOT didnt like that so they installed those fold-over fiberglass barrier poles to force them to use the turn lanes as marked, slowing down traffic. Apparently now they have decided that using it as one continuous turn lane isnt bad after all and now its marked so that you can ride it all the way up to turn onto 465E again. Idiots.

510picker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2017
    Martinsville
    I'm going to have to find something. I wonder if there's some route on the east side of 37 that will eventually get me to Burton Lane so I can come back north to the club.
    To access the club from the north, the red route shown below is the way I would suggest to get to the east side of 37. Cutting through town to Burton Lane is shorter, but if traffic is crazy through town, this may your best route. I'm afraid traffic is going to be bad no matter which route you take.

The link below takes you to more maps of the project.

https://i69finishline.com/closure/

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I just got back from the range and to get to it from the south I exit at Liberty Church Road to Old 37 to Jordan to Burton. Not bad at all really. I doubt it takes much longer when you consider the slow down coming into Martinsville and the light at Burton.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Something we ran into during the 37/69 construction between Btown and Martinsville was that all of the side routes to dodge traffic congestion filled up themselves. No way to avoid having to alot extra time for just in case. Especially if your route runs you into drive times.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    To access the club from the north, the red route shown below is the way I would suggest to get to the east side of 37. Cutting through town to Burton Lane is shorter, but if traffic is crazy through town, this may your best route. I'm afraid traffic is going to be bad no matter which route you take.

The link below takes you to more maps of the project.

https://i69finishline.com/closure/

View attachment 105649
    That's a big help, thank you! :yesway:

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Last summer I went to the club 37S to Morgan st through town just to see how it could be done. This was before the changing of some streets to one way, need to try it again soon to decide the lesser of the evils. I guess the is involuntary ammo inventory control.

510picker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2017
    Martinsville
    Last summer I went to the club 37S to Morgan st through town just to see how it could be done. This was before the changing of some streets to one way, need to try it again soon to decide the lesser of the evils. I guess the is involuntary ammo inventory control.
    If I were coming from Greenwood, I would take 31 or 135 (depending on where you are in Greenwood) down through Morgantown, then stay on 252 and follow the directions on the map I posted above, turning left just before you get to 37.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    And from what I've read, it's all paid for. Checking that out, it's true but in 30 year bonds. How is that paid for? Like when wife and I had a new house built, it was paid for when we moved in. But the loan [bonds?] that paid everything off took 20 years to pay off until we could legally own it and not have two owners on the records. It's just a feel good statement to take the taxpayers mind off the final cost. Just think of all the exhaust fumes we get to have flowing up through town now! Isn't progress great?

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    I live half way between ST RD 135 and Hi Way 37. Before constrution it was a straight shot down 37 and 30 min to the range. Yes 135 to 252 is a route I have taken many times, it is about 7 miles farther and 10 min more but may be much faster now than 37. I also injoy the country scenery along this route much better and more relaxing.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I live half way between ST RD 135 and Hi Way 37. Before constrution it was a straight shot down 37 and 30 min to the range. Yes 135 to 252 is a route I have taken many times, it is about 7 miles farther and 10 min more but may be much faster now than 37. I also injoy the country scenery along this route much better and more relaxing.
    Hate to be the bearer of bad news.....

But do you actually think you're going to be the only person to try this? Traffic on 252 is bad enough at times, imagine it being doubled, possibly tripled, because there will be a LOT of people with the same thought.

This is just going to be a cluster of epic proportions with no end in sight. B
    Because you know this is Indiana and they don't hold road construction bidders to the completion time frame.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    South bound detour, 144-67-39, is the "official detour". When they close a state highway, the official detour must also be on state highways. If you are southbound and want to take a shorter route, continue south to Morgan St. (just south of the Martinsville Golf Course), take it through M'ville to 39 and then back to 37/69 south. I guess traffic through downtown M'ville will be FUBAR but it's miles shorter than the official detour.
    Go ahead and give that a shot and let us know how it works out for you. Downtown Martinsville is a bigger mess than the 69 thru Bloomington debacle a few years ago.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I agree 135/252 will have more traffic than before, I will get to enjoy the scenery longer whether I want to or not. Time of day will play a factor on which route is better.
    I had been wondering about 135/252 myself back before they announced the closure, just in anticipation of some kind of disruption. I live right off 135 (also between 135 and 37, but closer to 135). I think I'm further north of you though, so I'd have to go through all the Greenwood mess (pretty much from County Line through Olive Branch). It's not bad once you get past there though. There really just is no "ideal" route I'm afraid.

Indy1919a4 said he was thinking about doing some exploration this weekend, probably taking the 252 route since he's closer to Bargersville I think.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    Go ahead and give that a shot and let us know how it works out for you. Downtown Martinsville is a bigger mess than the 69 thru Bloomington debacle a few years ago.
    Worked pretty good for me today. Went thru in the morning and afternoon and it was smooth sailing. May change when they shut it down but I'll still take my chances

Top Bottom