• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • infiremedic07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Lapel/Noblesville
    Recently bought a SW22A and after only a hundred rounds or so I started having FTE and stovepiping on just about every shot. I quickly field stripped it and discovered that the Slide insert had broken in the area where the Recoil pin and spring go through. I can not post pictures yet so here is a link to a someone elses picture that I found.
    Smith & Wesson 315540000 SLIDE INSERT Reviews | Buzzillions.com

I was just wondering if anyone else has had this happen. Could it be from the type of ammo I have used. I initially just used a few rounds of Remington hollow points (all I had initially) I have since tried Remington thunderbolt and CCI 22LR.
    I have some federal 22 now but discovered the break before I could use them.
    Any ideas would be helpful.
    I did call SW and they are sending me a replacement insert.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Well hate to hear your having trouble but the good news is Smith will take care of you But they will probably want you to send the complete pistol in, BUT they make that as easy as it can be,

Go to thier website and you have to submit a problem and then they will respond

About a month ago when my M&P 22 gave me trouble they sent me a prepaid mailer and I had the gun back in about 8 days, in reality I missed one weekend of shooting.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    oops missed that in the last line, I'm an idiot, I've had the Club gun break at the back hook to the frame but it was the old design and they replaced it with a completly redesigned upper

I think these guns are the lower end of the smith line and a hardcore shooter will eventually have trouble with these but you should have got 30k rounds before any hint of a problem.

Good luck in the future

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    I have fired thousands of rnds through mine without a problem, I think your just lucky, :D

:+1: I have only had mine for a couple months and only made two range trips, but no problems at all. I have close to a thousand rounds through it with no feed issues at all. (except when I had my thumb too high and it interfered with the slide)

Good luck fixing it and happy shooting, its a damn tack driver!

korkskru

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2010
    what ammo are you guys shooting thru yours. i just purchased one myself and really like it. all reviews i have read said they dont care for the cheaper bulk ammo. just asking. this gun will be with me during turkey and deer seasons, thanks guys.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    We've had one for our HHRP club gun and only ran cheap bulk through it, it for the most part has been reliable

we pass it around like a cheap french Whhoops wasn't posed to say that

but its been working fine for us

fastwally

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Peru
    what ammo are you guys shooting thru yours. i just purchased one myself and really like it. all reviews i have read said they dont care for the cheaper bulk ammo. just asking. this gun will be with me during turkey and deer seasons, thanks guys.

I use Federal bulk and it runs great. Doesn't seem to like Remington golden bullets though, get maybe 3 out of 100 that won't fire. :dunno:

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Isn't the slide insert just that disposable piece of plastic? It should only cost a couple dollars to replace. I think mine even came with an extra one. It's easy to reassemble wrong, which could break the plastic if you fire it that way I imagine, or it could just be a fluke that t broke so soon, and have nothing to do witb the ammo.

infiremedic07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Lapel/Noblesville
    Actually that peice of plastic is called the recoil buffer. And yes it is easily replacable. The slide insert is the piece that holds the firing pin and acts as a guide to the pin and spring.

infiremedic07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Lapel/Noblesville
    fixed it

Got the replacement part in and after watching a couple of YOUCANDOIT TUBE vids, it is finally back up and working. I think that perhaps at the factory may have pressed the insert in a little crooked. And that this had caused the part to initially crack. I hope to soon be putting rounds downrange.:ar15:

bthomas

Marksman
    Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 28, 2012
    Winchester
    I just bought my kids the camo version of this gun, and after 200 rds or so we couldnt cycle a whole clip with out a problem. I cleaned the gun before the first time we shot it. I was using bulk federal, so I thought that might be my problem. When I break the gun down to clean it, I noticed the front of the slide also had the camo coated on it so I gently scraped it off and there was a little on the backside of the barrel, I cleaned it off also. The next time I took the gun out I ran every type of ammo through it, all bulk ammo (remigton, blazer, federal, and winchester) out of about 300 rds I had 1 of the federal hollow points jam on the top side of the barrel. Other than that they all ran great.

Top Bottom