• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dcobra

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    southport
    So I was at my lgs a few days ago to stop in and see if they had a S&W 442 I could look at. I have recently been looking to get a carry gun for summer, and I wanted to check out a smaller wheel gun. Luckily enough they had one in but as soon as I picked it up something just wasn’t right. First off the finish on the cylinder was rough. Not horrible, but definitely not great, especially compared with the rest of the gun. The rest of the guns finish was fine, but the cylinder was definitely rough and the cylinder release was also very tight. I guess the worst part came when I tested the trigger. After about three pulls the trigger stuck back and would not
    release on its own. I gave it back to the lgs employee and they were able to recreate the stuck trigger with another 2 pulls. I promptly told them to send it back to S&W and looked at other options. I still want to explore the snub nosed revolver option for carry but not if it’s going to look like that. Has anyone else noticed S&W products
    going this direction or did I find a unicorn!
    Please let me know if anyone else has had these issues. All is appreciated.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    So I was at my lgs a few days ago to stop in and see if they had a S&W 442 I could look at. I have recently been looking to get a carry gun for summer, and I wanted to check out a smaller wheel gun. Luckily enough they had one in but as soon as I picked it up something just wasn’t right. First off the finish on the cylinder was rough. Not horrible, but definitely not great, especially compared with the rest of the gun. The rest of the guns finish was fine, but the cylinder was definitely rough and the cylinder release was also very tight. I guess the worst part came when I tested the trigger. After about three pulls the trigger stuck back and would not
    release on its own. I gave it back to the lgs employee and they were able to recreate the stuck trigger with another 2 pulls. I promptly told them to send it back to S&W and looked at other options. I still want to explore the snub nosed revolver option for carry but not if it’s going to look like that. Has anyone else noticed S&W products
    going this direction or did I find a unicorn!
    Please let me know if anyone else has had these issues. All is appreciated.

Just curious, any short stroking of the trigger involved at all? Not a wheel gun guy anymore, but have seen DA revolver triggers get hung up when short stroking them.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    My 642 ran perfect. S&W is not the same company it used to be. There have been quite a few QC issues. They (usually) make them right.

That said, I sold my 642 in favor of a Ruger LCR. It's a few ounces heavier but I can shoot it all day. The 642 was a hammer to my hand, even with the lighter loads.

One more thing. My LCR is in .327 Federal Magnum. 6 shots in the same size gun as a 5 shot .38.

Link here>>>>> https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/394530-ruger-lcr-327-fed-mag.html

The last few pages are the current update.

Top Bottom