• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mando-gunner-89

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2013
    Terre Haute
    So I have a Smith and Wesson 5906 with four mags I works well as long as you use decent ammo in it, and I was wondering what I could get out of It. It is very clean and well taken care of the extractor was recently replaced by a LGS. I am just not quite sure what I can get out of it. thanks for all the input. ~MG89~

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    If you sell it yourself around $350-$400 ishIf you trade it in they will offer you around $250 ish. Myself I would keep it as an extra truck gun etc for no more than you would more than likely get

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The 59XX series are great guns that get little notice or respect. Given the market and supply of 59XX guns available, I'd go $350 (were I buying one), especially if it had functional night sights and it was 100% functional. If a particular gun didn't function well with marginal ammunition, it would not interest me as reliability is one of the primary strengths of that design.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I am surprised it is picky about ammo at all. I have had a bunch of third gens and every one of them ate everything I put into it. Third gens are greatly under-appreciated. Plus, when you run out of ammo they make really good clubs. ;)

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I don't have any 9mm S&W's but have three 45acp's; 645, 4506 and a 4513TSW and they are super reliable. I will use any one of the three in the Illinois CCW classes that I teach. I totally agree with Rhino that reliability is number one in a carry gun. Any one of these will feed empty brass and they never fail for me. I am curious what type problem you have with function. Jim.

mando-gunner-89

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2013
    Terre Haute
    the only issue that I have with ammo is ejecting the empty round properly, that's why I had the extractor replaced thinking that was the problem but It still jams up every now and again.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    the only issue that I have with ammo is ejecting the empty round properly, that's why I had the extractor replaced thinking that was the problem but It still jams up every now and again.

That's unusual for a 5906. There is something else wrong with it. It should be reliable to the point of being boring.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    That's unusual for a 5906. There is something else wrong with it. It should be reliable to the point of being boring.

Yes, I agree, I have had a couple that you couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with but never one that had any function issues.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I am surprised it is picky about ammo at all. I have had a bunch of third gens and every one of them ate everything I put into it. Third gens are greatly under-appreciated. Plus, when you run out of ammo they make really good clubs. ;)

I have only seen a couple with any problems. The extractor was not the issue even though you would think that first. The ejector is thin enough to be bent if you try to force things together when you re install the slide. I have bent them back (favoring right, bore centerline) and gently dressed the tip with a jewelers file. Be careful not to remove only a minimal amount of material. The ones I did this to functioned perfectly with everything, including junk commie crap ammo.

Good Luck

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Yes, I agree, I have had a couple that you couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with but never one that had any function issues.

I was lucky with mine, a police trade in. I had the only 250 for 250 score that year at the live fire test site where I qualified for my Texas Concealed Handgun License. The fairly heavy trigger pull can be an issue, but I came from a heavy revolver background. I think the trigger control skills learned there help me with all types of pistols.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I have only seen a couple with any problems. The extractor was not the issue even though you would think at first. The ejector is thin enough to be bent if you try to force things together when you re install the slide. I have bent them back (favoring right, bore centerline) and gently dressed the tip with a jewelers file. Be careful not to remove only a minimal amount of material. The ones I did this to functioned perfectly with everything, including juck commie crap ammo.

Good Luck

This never crossed my mind but makes perfect sense.

With the 4 mags, it should bring a bit more.

You can also look on gunbroker.com to see what they are going for. These prices will usually be on the high side.
    That gun will also be great for trades not done in a gun store.

8th SPS USAF

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hobart , In
    Try new recoil spring, and mag springs. These are older pistols and could use new springs? What are you shooting out of it? What works and what does not? I have had several 59 series SW's back in the day and a few 39's. Never a problem, even with my reloads. Good luck I was going to try to find a good used 5904, but found a 226 Elite 9mm. Yes more money, and newer, but good 5904's or 5944's high $650/$750

mando-gunner-89

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2013
    Terre Haute
    I just use regular 115gr WWB or Remington hardball, I don't use it as a carry gun I just take it out to the range every once in a while. It's just the idea of it not working properly that bothers me. I will give the new springs a try and go from there, thanks for all the quick replies and help. ~MG89~

Top Bottom