• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Does it have 3 through holes in the topstrap? If so that's for the standard scope mount.

IIRC the -4 the first of the 629's to run case hardened hammers/triggers.

I know none of my -3's were factory drilled and tapped for scope usage.
    Some older 8 3/8" models had dovetails on the bbl for a more fwd scope mount, used special rings (a couple guys I know back in the day sent theirs in for rebarreling).

If it was a 6" or shorter I'd not mount a scope. Nice trim rigs, nice to kinda keep them that way.

But a scope can be good for aging eyes...........IMHO they suck for moving deer in the woods though...if your -4 isn't factory drilled and tapped for the standard mount you can send it to them for such modification. Or some nearby 'smith probably has the dims and can do it for you.

629's are nice, esp if it's pre lawyer lock. Even then, the more silly prices tend to be for the -3 and older.

Good deer hunting rig..........set it up the way you like and fill the freezer! :)

If it is not a Classic model it may not have what they call the "endurance package". Not sure what version they started that on in regular models.

Shooting heavy bullets can break your trigger pivot (did on my 4" 629-1). The endurance package was radiusing shoulders of pins and such to reduce stress risers.
    Seems to work.

I'd run hot 240's and lighter in a non endurance package model.

luvall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Noblesville
    629-4

Thanks for the great information. I really appreciate.

Does it have 3 through holes in the topstrap? If so that's for the standard scope mount.

IIRC the -4 the first of the 629's to run case hardened hammers/triggers.

I know none of my -3's were factory drilled and tapped for scope usage.
    Some older 8 3/8" models had dovetails on the bbl for a more fwd scope mount, used special rings (a couple guys I know back in the day sent theirs in for rebarreling).

If it was a 6" or shorter I'd not mount a scope. Nice trim rigs, nice to kinda keep them that way.

But a scope can be good for aging eyes...........IMHO they suck for moving deer in the woods though...if your -4 isn't factory drilled and tapped for the standard mount you can send it to them for such modification. Or some nearby 'smith probably has the dims and can do it for you.

629's are nice, esp if it's pre lawyer lock. Even then, the more silly prices tend to be for the -3 and older.

Good deer hunting rig..........set it up the way you like and fill the freezer! :)

If it is not a Classic model it may not have what they call the "endurance package". Not sure what version they started that on in regular models.

Shooting heavy bullets can break your trigger pivot (did on my 4" 629-1). The endurance package was radiusing shoulders of pins and such to reduce stress risers.
    Seems to work.

I'd run hot 240's and lighter in a non endurance package model.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    -4 has the endurance package and everything you want...no lock, no MIM parts, hammer mounted firing pin. It does have the case hardened hammer and trigger...some early model -4s can be found without the case hardened parts. Best model of the 629s IMO. A joy to shoot. Put on X-frame Hogue grips if you want a little larger grip, longer trigger pull, and less felt recoil due to the rear backstrap being covered with shock-absorbing material.

Top Bottom