• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Some years back I was in a gun shop and found a 629 Mountain gun that was only five shots. I was going to buy it and was looking it over when I realized it had been fired heavily. I asked about it and he told me that it had only been test fired at S&W. I didn't buy it. I have bought to many new S&W that looked new to buy what he was selling.

I picked up a standard 629 with a 4" barrel. From a dealer that was honest. I have had it for years and have been very happy with it. As I get older I like lighter weapons. It makes it easier to keep my pants up. So I am looking for a like new 629 Mountain gun that is five shot.

Any one know of one for sale? They are about a half pound lighter than the normal 629.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Didn't know they ever did a 5 shot 44 mag until now with the model 69

Their light weight 44 mag was the 329 but I thought was discontinued a while back, that might have just been the Night Guard version though

Smith did a 5 shot 44 special, the 696, but was discontinued I think 10 years back

I'm curious on this 5 shot MG

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I think some guy on here was talking about selling his so he could buy a sig 938. Might search threads for it and contact the guy.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I didn't want the model 69. The one I want is the old one. It don't have the sleeved barrel. I don't know why they are using sleeved barrels. How much cheaper can that be than a standard barrel? If it wasn't for the sleeved barrel I would go with the 69.

asevans

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    You will probably have to try gunbroker to find something like that. Or go to Louisville gun show and ask the Smith collectors.

pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    If you saw that 5-shot S&W .44 several years back, I'm guessing you came across ome of the rarer S&W revolvers, a 396 mountain lite. It is a 5-shot .44 special made of scandium alloy and only weighs 18oz if I remember correctly. It was only produced for a couple years, and now can run over $1000 for a good condition used one. I hope this helps.

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/2412/396mtnlite.jpg

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    pokersamurai the one I am looking for is a model 629 five shot that has a 4" barrel that is lighter than normal. They may have only made it for a year or so. I really don't know. Now it was probably 25 years ago when I saw it. It was made out of stainless steel.

I looked on Gun Broker for it and had no luck. I did find a review on it when I checked the net. Just haven't found one for sale yet. I will keep checking Gun Broker and some of the gun shows.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The regular "Mountain Gun" is a 6 shot 629 with a Model 24 profile barrel.
    Yes, they are a little lighter. I've seen quite a few Magnaported.

I prefer a regular 4" 629.

If going for light.............I'd look at a 329PD. Hate the sights though, those would have to be changed! Guy I know has one, shot some medium hot 255gr in it.
    Fingergroove factory wood grips. Recoil wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be. Muzzle jump was a trip though!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    "Mountain Lite"...................digging around in my brain and on the web...................yup, saw one. 44 Special.

Same as the Jay Jovino stuff...................passed.

Last edited:

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    The did make steel 5 shot 44s some time back, and in the mountain gun configuration. My uncle has one and loves it. Check around on the smith-wessonforum.com and be ready to pay premium price.

Top Bottom