• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hi everyone, I am considering buying a 9mm S&W Shield pistol and other than thinking the grip angle is somewhat similiar to a Glock's I'm pretty uninformed about this model. Thoughts, opinions? I would like to hear from you all what you think about them.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    I love mine. I've owned many glocks in the past. Switched to M&Ps because they worked better for me. i started off with a full size 9, went to m&p9c, and then finally the shield.

I've been carrying my shield for about a year and a half now and it's just the perfect little gun with a full size grip for my big hands.

They are just as easy to clean as a glock and can be field stripped easier imo.

the shield 9 has a standard mag capacity of 7 or you can get the mag with pinky extension that makes it 8. I sold all my 7 cap mags and bought 8s. I didn't like my pinky dangling under the base plate of the 7 rounders.

Last edited:

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I think that if you'd like to have one you should buy one! They are great pistols! It's on the short list of pistols I would recommend of the many out there...

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    They are great guns for sure. My only complaint would be the grip is a little slim for me.

I'm not sure I'd say it feels like a Glock at all. If that's something you're looking for then you may want to look into the new G43.

bjenkins

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    jeffersonville
    I actually like Glocks but the Shield feels nothing like one. Held the new Glock 43 and would much rather have the Shield. Would also check out the M&P9c, just is a little more comfortable to me.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I'll echo the other comments on how nice the Shield is. I've carried mine off and on for about a year and it's very comfortable and a great little shooter. Where are you located? I'm sure one of us with a Shield would be happy to meet you so you could test drive one...:ingo:

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I normally carry a M&P45c, but if I want something a bit smaller, I go with my shield. Feels great, shoots great, has been 100% with FMJ & HP, trigger is good, pleasure to shoot for a small pistol.

I've had mine since they were released, others have come & gone, my shield is with me to stay.

9mm btw. I carry in OWB with Shirt over it, stays tight to body, & very comfortable, even on a fluffy guy.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I like my Shield. The grip is a little thin for me, as well, and I have small hands. A Hogue Hand all grip took care of that.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Parabellum has a rental you can test drive if you don't have any luck finding another.. I have one and I'm very pleased with it. I don't think you can go wrong with a Shield or one of the Glocks.. The particular model that feels the best in your hand and points well for you would be my suggestion.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT]
    Certified Glock armorer-M&P armorer & 1911mechanic
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    The shield is a go-to subcompact gun for a lot of people. The grip angle is not as aggressive as Glock and the overall ergonomics are better thought out for a wider range of people. Pick one up, see how it feels in your hands, decide whether or not you want a thumb safety, and make your decision then.

Capacity is higher than the Glock 43. The Shield has been out longer so finding accessories and holsters will be easy. Magazines aren't the cheapest but they are prevalent enough that you can get a hold of them. Take down is in my opinion superior to anything made by Glock because pulling the trigger is not required. Push down the Sear disconnect lever and rotate the take down lever and you're good to go.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I have a Shield and I like carrying it. I'd much rather carry it than shoot it.

It's thin - which is great for carrying it concealed.

It's thin - which seems to hinder MY bringing it into action quickly. I can't get a shot on target with the shield nearly as fast as I can with the full sized pistol. Yes, this is a training / practice issue with ME.

It's been utterly reliable for me in the 2.5-ish years I've had it. Quite accurate during slow aimed fire. Accurate during quick fire, too...(the limitation is me!)

i'd like to shoot the new Glock 43 and Ruger LC9s to compare.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I had one in .40. Sold it when I consolidated and went with all 9mm. I LOVED it. I will be buying another (in 9mm this time) when funds allow. It was one of the most accurate handguns for me and was 100% reliable.

The real reason I sold the original was because it had a safety that I wasn't comfortable with. They have since put out a non-safety model. I will be picking up a non-safety model next.

It's the perfect small IWB for me. I carry a PPQ when I can carry a full size handgun. I pocket carry a LCP when I don't want to IWB. The Shield perfectly fills the middle ground when I'm wearing shorts and a T-shirt and want to IWB with something smaller than my full size PPQ.

gamer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2015
    Fort Wayne
    I own one and it's the first gun I've ever carried so sadly I can't compare carrying it to anything else. That said it's barely noticeable when carrying. I feel it like I feel my wallet I've kept in the same pocket for 20 years. Mine is 9mm with thumb safety. It's a little snappier for a 9mm but I really don't mind that minor drawback. Hello it's a subcompact it's gonna have a little more recoil. I'm a big guy and it fit's in my hands just fine. Although that hogue grip mentioned earlier might be something I look at. Last comment, there seems to be a flood of subcompacts available these days. You get to choose from a decent selection in this category. The Shield will do you well but there is no one gun that fits all. It's such a personal preference.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I have one in .40. It has taken over as my goto carry piece when off-duty, took over for my 642 and my G27. I LOVED shooting it, the .40 recoil wasn't bad at all.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana

It's thin - which seems to hinder MY bringing it into action quickly. I can't get a shot on target with the shield nearly as fast as I can with the full sized pistol. Yes, this is a training / practice issue with ME.

It's been utterly reliable for me in the 2.5-ish years I've had it. Quite accurate during slow aimed fire. Accurate during quick fire, too...(the limitation is me!)

If you think the Shield is "thin", you will not care for the LC9S.

I carry my Shield and find it quite comfortable and reliable.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood

I'll echo this. It is like most every other subcompact in that it isn't meant to be a 250-rounds-per-day range toy. It is thin, so the recoil is focus on a smaller area of your hand. My wife will shoot about 100 rounds of hers before he move onto something else.

With that being said, it is one of, if not the, best CC pistols available.

Irishshooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Avon
    It's a little off topic, but I would like to ask those that have m&p and shields what do you see as the difference. I have a 40 full size and compact. I like them both, but can see where a slimmer gun would be nice to carry. Will the shield use the m&p mag?

Top Bottom