• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cak387

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2010
    Kokomo
    My mom received this gun as a gift being as she just received her LTCH. I have read the manual and think it would be a good gun for her, as long as she is willing to go to the range and practice with me.

It is the S&W Bodyguard 38 with the laser sight. Does anyone have any experience with this gun? This will be an EDC for her.

Thanks!

bbarker

Marksman
    Rating - 97.7%
    42   1   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    SE Indiana
    I would not shoot anything too hot like some +p's. I was looking at some Ruger LCRs (similar gun) and a couple of other snubnose 38's and one of the smiths (I think) really kicked the shooter hard. It's backstrap was not covered by the grip and was uncomfortable for the shooter.

cak387

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2010
    Kokomo
    I would not shoot anything too hot like some +p's. I was looking at some Ruger LCRs (similar gun) and a couple of other snubnose 38's and one of the smiths (I think) really kicked the shooter hard. It's backstrap was not covered by the grip and was uncomfortable for the shooter.

I was curious on how the recoil would be. She hasn't really shot much before and that's why I was asking.

What loads do you recommend? She also was given a box of 158 grain 38 special from Magtech. Is that a decent round?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I bought one earlier this year. Like bbarker, I to noticed that after shooting +p's, my hand was stinging. I normally carry an xdm 40 and have a model 10 s&w and neither one of them do that. I haven't gotten around to shooting non-+p's yet, but I would imagine that would make it mire fun to shoot.

This is also my first snobby and I've found my accuracy is not where I want it to be yet. But so far, I like it. It's really easy to CC too.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I bought one earlier this year. Like bbarker, I to noticed that after shooting +p's, my hand was stinging. I normally carry an xdm 40 and have a model 10 s&w and neither one of them do that. I haven't gotten around to shooting non-+p's yet, but I would imagine that would make it mire fun to shoot.

This is also my first snobby and I've found my accuracy is not where I want it to be yet. But so far, I like it. It's really easy to CC too.

hoosierken

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I agree on shooting no +Ps in the Bodyguard. My daughter recently bought one of these. She really likes it because the grip fits her hand very well and it is light. She's been shooting Hornady Critical defense with no recoil problems. We did have to adjust the laser when she started shooting it, but it's easy to do. The gun acted strange to me since I'm used to revolvers. The cyclinder release is not on the side and the cylinder rotates clockwise opposed to other revolvers that normally rotate counter clockwise. Of course if she is not familiar with guns then it will not seem odd to her.

Overall it seems like a decent gun. I'm not a big fan of the laser they included but it seems to work fine.

MarlinMan68

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Indiana-Michigan State Line

Speer Gold Dots come in a short barrel load for 38 and 357.These will be much more accurate for you.But remember these guns are designed for shooting at 10-15 feet.If you can stay on an 8" target you are doing well.

cak387

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2010
    Kokomo
    Thanks for the replies! She is shooting it this weekend so we will see how it goes for her. I wanted to take her to the range, but with my school/work schedule and finals week coming up, it would be a little while. I haven't even been able to make it for about the past 2 months :(

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Speer Gold Dots come in a short barrel load for 38 and 357.These will be much more accurate for you.But remember these guns are designed for shooting at 10-15 feet.If you can stay on an 8" target you are doing well.

Cool. You learn something everyday.... I'll have to check them out.

Top Bottom