S&W Governor - What else, besides a "Toy"?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeffrey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I agree with BlueI's. There is no compelling reason to have one. However, there is a lot to be said for happiness, and mine makes everyone who shoots it smile, including myself. It doesn't get carried a lot, or shot a lot, as I realize it's limitations. It is something of a novelty I guess, but l sure do enjoy having it.

Last edited:

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    I saw the carry issue come up a few times and wonder why not? If it is too heavy then so are most 1911s, if it is width so are 45acp and 45 long colt revolvers and people carry both of those all the time. Could it be barrel length, then snub revolvers are out too. So again I ask, why not?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I saw the carry issue come up a few times and wonder why not? If it is too heavy then so are most 1911s, if it is width so are 45acp and 45 long colt revolvers and people carry both of those all the time. Could it be barrel length, then snub revolvers are out too. So again I ask, why not?

It's not really about dimensions, although while it may have the same maximum width as other revolvers the ultra long cylinder certainly doesn't have the same profile and its wider for a longer portion of its length. Its primarily about the limits of a .410 cartridge in a short barrel revolver for self defense minimizing the one "advantage" the gun has as compared to any other gun that's the same weight, same cost, etc.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I like the governor a lot. having a 410 revolver for home defense is nice. And 45 colt is a sweet round to shoot. Plus the always nice 45acp as extra bonus is to good to pass. Wake up to a bump in the night and u are carring a revolver that will spray lead all over makes aiming easiet LOL.
    Have you patterned it at a range? People seem to think anything that fires a shotgun shell will sweep a room clean. I've checked my 18 1/2" improved cylinder 12ga Mossberg with 00 Buck. It spreads about 1" per yard. So even in a long basement of, say 15 yards you only get a 15" pattern. Hardly a street sweeper. The Governor/Judge will spread a little better because of the shorter barrel but you still have to be a good pointer.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I know it is not exactly the same thing, but there is a way to make shotshells with 44 mag revolver handgun brass. If you use a loose .44 gas check on top of a .44 spl powder charge, full the rest of the space with #8 shot, and then crimp another gas check on top of it. At 6 feet the paper target is really shreded. By 25 feet only two or three tiny holes are made in the target. 10 inches of rifling in the pistol bore appears to open the pattern all at once.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I know it is not exactly the same thing, but there is a way to make shotshells with 44 mag revolver handgun brass. If you use a loose .44 gas check on top of a .44 spl powder charge, full the rest of the space with #8 shot, and then crimp another gas check on top of it. At 6 feet the paper target is really shreded. By 25 feet only two or three tiny holes are made in the target. 10 inches of rifling in the pistol bore appears to open the pattern all at once.

CCI makes them factory. I carry them around my rural property in certain seasons due to water moccasins that enjoy my creek. Out of a 6" barrel, they fill a sheet of copy paper pretty well at 10' or so. My neighbor does the same with a .22 with snake shot and I don't have to be near as close.

Don't likee, don't buyee. It's REALLY not that difficult!
    dunno.gif

I think that's a given, but part of discovering if you would like something is researching and asking questions to make an informed decision. I think that's where the OP is now.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I have a friend that owns property in New Mexico. He carries a Governor around because of snakes. I guess .410 birdshot works snakes over pretty darn well....

I applaud you and BBI for coming up with the ONLY practical use I've heard for these things.

...but some things are just fun to own. If only more Judge/Governor owners would admit that that's really all there is, then we could argue about something else.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    CCI makes them factory. I carry them around my rural property in certain seasons due to water moccasins that enjoy my creek. Out of a 6" barrel, they fill a sheet of copy paper pretty well at 10' or so. My neighbor does the same with a .22 with snake shot and I don't have to be near as close.

I can see snake control as a really good application. I had a little K frame .22 revolver with regular bullets when I was dispatching a snake. A moving snake in grass is a lot harder to hit with a .22 than a person thinks it is.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I applaud you and BBI for coming up with the ONLY practical use I've heard for these things.

...but some things are just fun to own. If only more Judge/Governor owners would admit that that's really all there is, then we could argue about something else.

Oh, I still don't think that's a practical reason to buy one, and just to be clear I didn't mean to imply that's what I was using for snake control. I just use CCI .44 special shot shells in a regular ol' single action .44 magnum revolver. No way I'd pay all that cash for such a purpose specific firearm when I can accomplish the same thing with a $15 investment in ammo in a regular revolver.

The fun/cool factor is the only reason I see to buy one.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I don't want any misunderstanding. When Powder buys his Governor I plan on standing in line to shoot it.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    ...post pictures of on INGO.

...visual aid while doing Arnold Schwarzenegger impressions.

...occupy space in a safe.

Other than "because I think its unique and fun" there's no compelling reason to own one. There's certainly nothing these .410/.45 revolvers do better than a traditional revolver in terms of performance, size, etc. They gained popularity when carjacking was the fear de jour with the idea the spread would be beneficial in that scenario. They were a niche gun that probably wasn't even the best at that niche.

I got to go with BBI on this one...It's like Ron White said about Garth Brooks...

"No Ron...You don't get it...Garth is country AND rock and roll.."

"No he is not either, he is just trying to be both..."

I see these revolvers (as well as the "Circuit Judge") falling into that catagory..

IMHO of course...

Top Bottom