• ...and so much more!
  • mr.steve

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Plymouth
    I now have my first wheel gun :):
    this one was born in 1955 before the name changed to model 28. the revolver is nothing fancy, insert bullets, pull trigger, BANG. I'll be casting and reloading this in 38SP and 357MAG. I stand before you, Masters of the Revolvers and ask for advice and trivia about this particular handgun. I haven't slugged the barrel or the throats yet, I will use my .357 125gr LRN mold for now. I'm just getting familiar with it and slowly coming up to speed.

Last edited:

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    A Model 28 was my first S&W revolver, followed by over a dozen more S&W's over the years, but that first one was special to me.
    It was large, heavy, built like a tank, and I loved it.
    I should have kept it but a sleek, shiny, Model 19 caught my eye and a trade was made in 1972.
    I still have the 19 but I wish I'd have kept the 28 as well.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    UselessWithoutImages.jpg

mr.steve

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Plymouth
    Dang it, I forgot the picture. thanks for the reminder. I've fix my first post:)

Loaded some 38SP this afternoon and tried the revolver out. Great shooter, I had the best grouping out of all the handguns! I wish my G26 could group like that.
    Wifey who happens to prefer her 22LR revolver asked to shoot it. She liked it! :): I used some 9mm 125gr LRN over 4.7gr 231. OAL 1.450" yup, it's a hoot to shoot!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    That's sexy. A friend of mine was selling a Model 66 with the MCSD logo a little while back. I really considered buying it from him but I'm just stuck in my Ruger-ish ways now.

Glock10MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    Congrats on a great revolver. Being a N-frame, you'll find magnum loads pleasant to shoot as well.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    My very first wheel gun was a blued version of the Highway Patrolman. It was my .38 spl wad cutter king and simply loved that gun.

mr.steve, I congratulate you for your Highway Patrolman purchase. Mine would also out shoot any of my other handgun. That's just the way the are. I think you are luck to even find one these days....you lucky dog you.

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    Great gun, it will serve you well for many years. There is something about the old smiths that make them soooo dang cool. I own a Model 19 with 2 1/2" barrel and I can actually shoot this gun at 25 yards and not waste bullets. They really are very accurate handguns. I love my Rugers, but Smiths are beginning to make me smile.
    a006.jpg

mr.steve

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Plymouth
    I will admit I was hesitant to buy a revolver at first. I'm left handed, and most revolvers are right handed. My handling is sorta awkward or clumsy.
    Practice will help if I find a good method of handling. That said, i'm in for long haul. I also bought the brass, dies, and turret for my press. A .358/.359 mold is on my wish list
    along with a left handed holster. speaking of holsters, a holster for an N frame revolver isn't cheap! Understand that when I make a large purchase for my hobby an equivalent shopping trip has to be allowed for wifey. Bottom line is it's costly to move to a different platform or caliber.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Welcome to the revolver world. I shoot revolvers in competition and build them for competition.
    I just wanted to comment on something you said about revolvers being right handed guns. Some of the very best competition shooters in the revolver world are left handed. In fact the fastest and most consistant revolver reloader in the world(IMO) is left handed.
    Enjoy your new toy and start thinking about which revolver you want next as 1 is never enough.:):

Top Bottom