• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    My "Journal" of my Shield. Some people refer to the buyers of a new / unknown gun a beta tester. If that's what I'll be seen as to some, I might as well let you know what my experience is with it =)

Let me first say, I love it. See the picture below to see that mine doesn't seem to have the rough look in the chamber where the firing pin comes out. I've seen somebody's M&P9 Shield with some wear in that area. I also want to add for all the debbie downers on the integral safety: GET OVER IT! It's a 1911 style safety. I can engage it just as easily as I did on my 1911, and disengage it even easier than I could on my 1911. Albeit small, it's very functional. It just takes a swift swipe of the thumb downward to disengage. And it's not that hard.

mp9-1.jpg

mp9-2.jpg

Day 1 - Monday, 4/16/2012
    Paid 85% deposit at Bradis Gun's in Camby. Unknown amount of wait time.

Day 2 - Thursday, 4/19/2012
    Gun was in stock ready to pick up at Bradis!!!

Took it to parents' country house in Lebanon area and fired 70 flaw free 115gr Federal FMJ Brass (factory) through the gun with 0 flaws, and it's freakin' accurate. I wish I would've shot all 100 rounds I had on me through this - but I also got a new Sig P229R :dunno:

Day 3 - Friday, 4/20/2012
    Fired 7 rounds of 135ger Federal Hydra-Shok with no failures or feed issues. Up to 77 rounds now and still no present wear or tear internally or externally. The issue seen elsewhere where people report a bent guide rod is still staying away for right now at least!

Last edited:

insanemonkey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Lake County
    I really like the concept of a slim single stack M&P, I love my full size. But I really need to see a M&Pc and shield in person. I am having a hard time deciding from pictures if there is really that big of a difference.

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    I just picked up an M&P9c and I love it! I will eventually have to an one of these for when even the little 9c is a touch too big to carry.

That's awesome! I had always wanted to try the M&P9c, but every time I held it it was just too bulky for me. I'm not sure what it was exactly, because I do love M&P triggers. But just seemed to "fat". This Shield is right in the sweet spot for me - not fat and not too thin either

zibby43

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 5, 2010
    Nice! Congrats on the purchase sir.

I also picked one up this week. Hoping to get it out to the range today before I leave town for the weekend.

IMG_1002.jpg

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    If anyone is interesting trying one of these out... Midwest Gun Range in Elkhart has one in the rental case.

$10 rental fee, $15 lane fee... plus ammo for those in Northern Indiana interested in testing it out before buying.

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    Nice! Congrats on the purchase sir.

I also picked one up this week. Hoping to get it out to the range today before I leave town for the weekend.

IMG_1002.jpg

Nice! If you don't mind my asking, what did you have to pay out the door? I've already created a few "believers" in this gun. One being my brother who wants to get his own now :cool:

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    That's awesome! I had always wanted to try the M&P9c, but every time I held it it was just too bulky for me. I'm not sure what it was exactly, because I do love M&P triggers. But just seemed to "fat". This Shield is right in the sweet spot for me - not fat and not too thin either

An an m&p fan and owner, my only complaint is the trigger...what is it about these triggers that you love?

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    An an m&p fan and owner, my only complaint is the trigger...what is it about these triggers that you love?

Consistency. I've owned alot of different guns that don't seem to let me pull the same way every time. Although this is my first personally owned S&W, I've shot M&P's before with much more accurate results when compared to my flocks and springfields

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    The new Shield looks great. I really don't have anything to add to the topic. I just wanted to tell the OP that I admire his avatar.:D

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon

I love the bulk of it...my favorite gun before switching to M&P was my big old Glock 21. The M&P45 is now my favorite and even though it isn't that much bulkier than a 9mm that extra girth just makes it for me.

And I'm with you on really liking the trigger. I spent some time with both the Glocks and M&Ps I owned doing both live fire and dry firing and concentrating on what felt the best and which I was better able to shoot. Every time and in every situation it came back to me liking what the M&P had to offer. What I love about the M&P trigger is what most people complain about. I love the soft reset and the soft break of it compared to the heavier Glock trigger. To me if felt like I was trying to break a wooden pencil with my trigger finger when pulling the Glocks trigger. When firing quickly it wasn't that big of a deal but when pulling the trigger back to make a good precision hit while still trying to do it in a hurry I felt like I had to put just a tad too much pressure on the trigger and it would compromise my accuracy where the M&P would break easier. It is probably more psychological than anything but that is what is going on in my mind and my times and scores in IDPA show that I favor the M&P over the Glocks.

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    I love the bulk of it...my favorite gun before switching to M&P was my big old Glock 21. The M&P45 is now my favorite and even though it isn't that much bulkier than a 9mm that extra girth just makes it for me.

And I'm with you on really liking the trigger. I spent some time with both the Glocks and M&Ps I owned doing both live fire and dry firing and concentrating on what felt the best and which I was better able to shoot. Every time and in every situation it came back to me liking what the M&P had to offer. What I love about the M&P trigger is what most people complain about. I love the soft reset and the soft break of it compared to the heavier Glock trigger. To me if felt like I was trying to break a wooden pencil with my trigger finger when pulling the Glocks trigger. When firing quickly it wasn't that big of a deal but when pulling the trigger back to make a good precision hit while still trying to do it in a hurry I felt like I had to put just a tad too much pressure on the trigger and it would compromise my accuracy where the M&P would break easier. It is probably more psychological than anything but that is what is going on in my mind and my times and scores in IDPA show that I favor the M&P over the Glocks.

I think I may be psychologically in love with the trigger on this thing - because it is slightly different than the regular M&P's.

I do want to note to who asked me about why I liked the triggers before: I've only fired two M&P's in the past, owner has the aftermarket (APEX, I believe?) trigger internals in them. And those I loved. But this I love, too.

The 6.5lb rated pull in the booklet feels lighter than 6.5lb's. But that's just me... I've been playing with the 10lb DA on my P229R :D

zibby43

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 5, 2010
    Nice! If you don't mind my asking, what did you have to pay out the door? I've already created a few "believers" in this gun. One being my brother who wants to get his own now :cool:

It's remarkable how much buzz the release of this pistol has generated! Kudos to S&W for actually having them available for purchase within days of the announcement.

I paid $430 OTD. I have seen these going from as low as $390 to as high as $450.

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon

I picked mine up from Plainfield for $416 OTD. Have yet to take it out for fun yet. :draw: May get to this weekend.

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    Friday, 4/20/2012 Update:

Fired 7 rounds of 135ger Federal Hydra-Shok with no failures or feed issues. Up to 77 rounds now and still no present wear or tear internally or externally. The issue seen elsewhere where people report a bent guide rod is still staying away for right now at least!

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    My Shield

Just picked my new Shield up.
    Fit and finish seems good, but the slide release is very tight.
    It takes pressing the release with to hands, to release the slide.
    I hope this works itself out with use.
    I will be taking it to the range later next week.

Top Bottom