• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy31

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    Does anyone have experience with the M&P Shield in 40? I am thing that would be a good carry gun. I want 40 because I am trying to keep my caliber count to a min.
    Thanks

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    :welcome:

A friend of mine carries one in 40 and loves it. I have not shot it but hear good things. I am currently waiting on delivery of a 9mm shield which will eventually be my EDC.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    I don't care for how the grip on the Shield fits my hands, but the 40 I owned for a short time was a nice shooter.

Me, I'm hoping the oft-rumored XD-S in .40 comes out sometime - but I'm liking the .45 enough I'm not too worried about it :)

Nate715c

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    Speedway
    Bought a shield .40 a couple months ago, shot it a couple weeks ago and found I need to work on trigger control (low and left) but love how well it conceals. Looking forward to shooting it more now that I added talon rubberized grips and Pearce extension.

nobek102

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 8, 2012
    I do not own one but I have a couple friends who talk highly of them and one compared it to a glock... I did have the smith and wesson sigma 40.... Never had a problem with the mechanics of the gun I just couldn't get used to the trigger I hope the shields are better

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I own it. Here's what I think. It's a little small but it conceals very very well. It's not a sniper rifle but it does a great job shooting a close group at 10-12 yards. You might be a bit surprised at the amount of recoil, it is a lightweight pistol so you better be holding it tight and right. I am not unhappy with mine...but I have also wondered if I should have waited and bought a 9mm version of same instead.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Does anyone have experience with the M&P Shield in 40? I am thing that would be a good carry gun. I want 40 because I am trying to keep my caliber count to a min.
    Thanks

I would suggest firing one before buying it. It has a very sharp/fast recoil, many do not like that in a small handgun.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    I would suggest firing one before buying it. It has a very sharp/fast recoil, many do not like that in a small handgun.

I head the same thing from many people. I have more 40's than 9, but even if you are consolidating calibers, the 9mm is the most popular out there. I like the extra round since it is reduced capacity over a full size, and with modern defense rounds the 9mm has proven itself as good a stopper as any other caliber. I do have the 9mm shield, and waited for it while passing on a few 40's in shield. I am happy with my purchase. I have only shot it a few times, but it was accurate and trouble free. It also carries very well in my crossbreed IWB holster. I literally don't feel it there when I am carrying.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I head the same thing from many people. I have more 40's than 9, but even if you are consolidating calibers, the 9mm is the most popular out there. I like the extra round since it is reduced capacity over a full size, and with modern defense rounds the 9mm has proven itself as good a stopper as any other caliber. I do have the 9mm shield, and waited for it while passing on a few 40's in shield. I am happy with my purchase. I have only shot it a few times, but it was accurate and trouble free. It also carries very well in my crossbreed IWB holster. I literally don't feel it there when I am carrying.

Sounds more and more like this is what will work the best for me. I would like to shoot one though to feel the recoil first hand. How is the recoil? Can you compare it to anything.

I have shot PPK, Makarov, .38 snub nose as well as FS M&P, 1911, and various revolvers.

Mycroft

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis area
    I had put a couple of thousand rounds of 40 through my XDm before I bought the Shield 40, so I was expecting a sharp, heavy recoil. I was surprised by how easy it was to control. I've put a few hundred rounds through it without any problems and it conceals very well in a Crossbreed holster.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Bought a shield .40 a couple months ago, shot it a couple weeks ago and found I need to work on trigger control (low and left) but love how well it conceals. Looking forward to shooting it more now that I added talon rubberized grips and Pearce extension.

Low and left is hold control. Your are squeezing your entire hand instead of just pressing the trigger finger. Don't intensify your grip while activating the trigger. You'll shoot low and left every time. Good luck!

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County

Maybe for an oldie like you :):. I liked it, but I don't shoot well with these dinky little pistols, so I was not a huge fan, but that's a personal preference. It was a very fine cc choice thigh

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Sounds more and more like this is what will work the best for me. I would like to shoot one though to feel the recoil first hand. How is the recoil? Can you compare it to anything.

Its light but snappy, if that makes sense. It's not going to sting your hand or make your range day unpleasant, but it does have some muzzle flip. Good technique, grip, and wrist lock will help compensate, but it will always be a bit more "flippy" than the 9mm. My wife has a weak grip strength, but with the proper hold she shoots it just fine. She says the felt recoil is less than a Glock 22, if that helps any.

hoosier hunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Muncie,IN
    I purchased a M&P Shield .40 two weeks ago to go along with my full size M&P 40m my wife and I went out to shoot 2 days later and I ended up loosing it, It is now my wifes carry gun. I loved it but she loved it more. I guess I am going to go pick up another one for myself now.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Its light but snappy, if that makes sense. It's not going to sting your hand or make your range day unpleasant, but it does have some muzzle flip. Good technique, grip, and wrist lock will help compensate, but it will always be a bit more "flippy" than the 9mm. My wife has a weak grip strength, but with the proper hold she shoots it just fine. She says the felt recoil is less than a Glock 22, if that helps any.

Quicker with the recoil, whereas a .45acp is slower with the recoil.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I bought one just yesterday so I haven't fired it yet. I got it because I wanted a single stack, small .40 to use when small guns are called for and carried concealed. I have a Ruger LC9 for this as well but I suppose any reason to get another gun is a good enough reason for me to get another one and I didn't have one in .49 yet. :) I suppose i will take it out for a try sometime in the coming week, cold and snowy or not, if I am able to find the time to do so.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I've been carryng my shield 40 for about 9 months, it is what I've been looking for, it hides in a IWB holster great, shoots reliably with practice and selft defense ammo. It's going to be a little snappy with self defense ammo but this isn't a target gun this is concealed carry gun.

after I bought mine I rand into the xd slim and its a pretty decent gun also, but I'm happy with my shield I don't think you can go wrong with one,

Top Bottom