• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    So after reading several favorable reviews on shooting reliability and ergonomics on this site as well as other sources and handling the firearm at the LGS, I have almost assuredly decided to pick one up. EXCEPT... I have a concern with the finish as I have read in several places that the firearm is prone to rust due to the soft finish or a finish that is easily scratched. I have conversed with a member via pm who verified that this concern is well founded. As I related to this member, I tend to use firearms as tools and have bought mostly stainless as they seem to more readily handle harsh treatment. Anyone care to confirm or refute that this firearm/finish is prone to rust?

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    luckily i bought mine last year and it has a stainless slide. rumor has it that they stopped those last year and went all black. do not know if it is true and have not heard about the rust issue you speak of. bguck has a good point. if you think it will be an issue, get it fixed before it happens.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    If the slide is stainless with the Melonite finish and the finish scratches, then I still have the hardiness of the stainless even though I have a scratched/wore gun? I do not know if that would bother me as long as I did not have rust... I suppose I could even have the slide bead blasted and then be down to a low maitenance stainless slide, yes?

GI JOE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The only problem I've had with mine in the last 6 or so months is my front sight tip was walking. I took care of that with a little lock tight.

Other than that, M&P's are worth every penny

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    The only problem I've had with mine in the last 6 or so months is my front sight tip was walking. I took care of that with a little lock tight.

Other than that, M&P's are worth every penny

I have several M&P's one a EDC and the others are range guns. All the slides are stainless, (except the M&P 22) with the melonite finish. The finish has proven durable, never seen any slightest hint of rust.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    I own two S&W M&P's and have had no problem with ether of them! It was my understanding that they only had that trouble with the first run pistols! it was brought to they're attention and fixed!

Eric05

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    New Palestine
    I have an M&P9 with the stainless finish. Just a quick wipe down after using it at with a Hoppes 9 clothe or old Tshirt hads proven great so far. Cant go wrong with an S&W:yesway:

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I bought a full sized one last year and have another one coming. I'll check to see if it still has the stainless slide when it arrives.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    So after reading several favorable reviews on shooting reliability and ergonomics on this site as well as other sources and handling the firearm at the LGS, I have almost assuredly decided to pick one up. EXCEPT... I have a concern with the finish as I have read in several places that the firearm is prone to rust due to the soft finish or a finish that is easily scratched. I have conversed with a member via pm who verified that this concern is well founded. As I related to this member, I tend to use firearms as tools and have bought mostly stainless as they seem to more readily handle harsh treatment. Anyone care to confirm or refute that this firearm/finish is prone to rust?

Been carrying mine since June in a leather holster...no real wear marks yet.....but looks aren't something I am overly worried about.....functionality is.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I had an early 9c that had rust issues, nothing terrible but not what I like to see either.

I also have had a 45c which has seen a ton of use in the last couple of years and never developed a spot of rust.

As others have said, it seems to have been limited to the very early runs.

Best,

Joe

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I own 2 M&P autos, an M&P9 Pro 4.25" and an M&P45 full-size. My M&P45 is one of the older models and with the exception of some slight wear towards the front of the slide serrations it looks really good. I've put several hundred rounds through it, sweated on it, shot it in the heat and cold and it looks as good as the day I traded for it.

The M&P9 4.25" Pro that I have did have some surface rust issues. It's hard to say what it was; I sent it to Smith twice and both times they replaced the slide. On the last time they sent it I did notice that the finish did appear slightly different than the original slide...I wondered if maybe the 4.25" Pro with night sites being a tad less popular than the 5" with fiber optics maybe had me still receiving replacements with a bad batch of finished slides.

I am in love with the M&P autos and have been looking for more to add to the collection.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    The rust I saw was on the slide where it came in contact with the holster. Its like it would trap the sweat and it would develop surface rust there. It would wipe off but come back in the same spot. I did notice that after changing holsters from some generic pile of poo to a Raven that it never had that problem again...so it may have been a combination of a poor holster and a bad batch of slides or just coincidence that when I changed holsters it was right at the same time I got the gun back for the final time.

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    I have 3 m&ps, a 40fs 40c and 22. The 22 slide is aluminum so it wont rust, the 40s have stainless slides that are melonite finish with a black coating. No rust anywhere and I even removed the black finish on the 40c so it looks like it has a black anodized finish. Still no rust, its my edc in a leather iwb.

Top Bottom