• ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I doubt you'd have a rust issue.

Run it like a tool. If it rusts, refinish it or hard chrome it, call it "custom", and then run it hard some more. :yesway:

ludlow

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    I've carried a couple of different MPs the past three years and I've not had any issues with rust. I do tend to clean my guns quite a bit (gives me garage time) and I use exclusively Eezox for cleaning/lubricating. YMMV

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    Thanks to all who have responded. As one who researches ad naseum, this just might have put to rest any remaining doubt I may have had on the M&P9. Now the only question is if in addition to the full size for myself, should I get my Lady a full size or a compact. I had read that for new shooters, a compact's true accuracy is seldom realized due to the smaller grip. I would also think that the compact would have a bit more muzzle flip with the defensive rounds. A con on the full size is that if it is "too" big, she will not carry it nor throw it in a purse... I will probably get mine first to let her evaluate.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    Cleaned my M&P 9c today and before I did, I looked it over for rust. None spotted! :D I made sure to check closely by the sights as that is where I have had rust issues on other guns.

I bought it about two years ago and have carried it almost daily since in a Crossbreed Supertuck. I do have holster wear that is pertty even on both the kydex and the leather sides, but that doesn't bother me because that is what I expect out of a carry gun.

As for the full size vs. compact - I don't own a full size, but will in the near future. I have shot a full size though (been about a year). I actually don't mind how my grip feels with the compact and consider myslef to be fairly accurate with it. I'm sure the gun is more capable than I am but I shoot palm sized groups at 7 yards and can hit a 12x12 target at 50 yards. The longer slide on the full size will give a longer sight radius which should make it eaiser to aim and more accurate. My wife doesn't mind shooting the compact but I won't get her one because she says that she isn't into carrying. Probably a good idea about you getting one first and seeing how it feels and maybe let her carry it for a few days to see how it is. IMHO the 9c really isn't a bad shooter and is a rather soft shooter for a compact.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Thanks to all who have responded. As one who researches ad naseum, this just might have put to rest any remaining doubt I may have had on the M&P9. Now the only question is if in addition to the full size for myself, should I get my Lady a full size or a compact. I had read that for new shooters, a compact's true accuracy is seldom realized due to the smaller grip. I would also think that the compact would have a bit more muzzle flip with the defensive rounds. A con on the full size is that if it is "too" big, she will not carry it nor throw it in a purse... I will probably get mine first to let her evaluate.

As you may have discovered, OP, there indeed WAS a problem with the earliest slides on the M&P. "Improper Melonite treatment" was, I believe, the reason given. Eh...it happens.

(Everyone knows that if it was Tennifer then there wouldn't have been a problem)

On to your above post: I currently have both the 9c and 9fs. With the extended pinky-rest base plates on the compact mags, the 9c isn't that much shorter than the 9fs.

Muzzle flip on the 9c is quite easy to manage due to great ergonomics of the pistol + relatively low bore axis. It really can be an "all day range gun". That said, though, I'd rather shoot my 9c with the longer mags + grip sleeve so it's essentially a short-barreled 9fs.

Even though the 9c is a "compact"...it's not a small gun. Just called a compact because it's smaller than the full-sized. It's only slightly smaller than the mid-size Glocks.

If I were a purse-carrying woman or a murse-carrying man (like Theweakerbrother), I don't think I'd like having a holstered 9c in there taking up all that room.

Best advice: Do you best to see if you can shoot each of them and make your choice from there!

-J-

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    If you carry it regularly and are concerned with rust, get the slide FailZero treated.

The Talo EXO M&P is available now.

6288490.jpg

I have the Talo EXO Glock 19 and the finish is indestructible.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    If all goes as well as planned (and the last 2 trades of mine haven't) I'll be trading for my 3rd M&P today after work. An M&P9c to complement my M&P9 Pro and my M&P45. Like Indy_Guy says, the 'compact' isn't that much smaller than their full-size versions, they rest somewhere in between a Glock 26 and a Glock 19 which is just about right in my opinion. With the palm swell options you can really customize the feel of the gun to make it your own.

Top Bottom