• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    It would be dirt, or the cartridge, but I've only seen that problem with reloads not factory new rounds.

I think you mean what is usually called the recoil shield. If the cartridge is riding high out the back of the cylinder it will bind with the recoil shield. The recoil shield itself isn't likely the problem as that area is just very unlikely to ever incur damage. It's a problem with one of the cylinder holes not allowing a fully inserted cartridge for some reason or a damaged cartridge not seating all the way in the hole.

Right. That's what I meant... the yoke (or whatever the star-shaped part of the ejector is called) is seating flush with the cylinder (nothing underneath it between it and the cylinder) but the cartridge rim isn't seating all the way against it, causing the cartridge to sit higher than the other rounds and binding against the recoil shield.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Right. That's what I meant... the yoke (or whatever the star-shaped part of the ejector is called) is seating flush with the cylinder (nothing underneath it between it and the cylinder) but the cartridge rim isn't seating all the way against it, causing the cartridge to sit higher than the other rounds and binding against the recoil shield.

I'm NOT a gunsmith....nor am I any kind of revolver expert...

But I am in the Greenwood area and off-work on Friday.

If you don't get resolution between now and then, I could possibly meet you at a south-side Gunshop and take a look. Or, heck, even Atterbury's shooting range?

Beech Grove might accommodate or Bradis?

Another pair of eyes might very well be beneficial. I can also bring a few other brands of ammo for comparison-sake + another small revolver for comparison.

-J-

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm NOT a gunsmith....nor am I any kind of revolver expert...

But I am in the Greenwood area and off-work on Friday.

If you don't get resolution between now and then, I could possibly meet you at a south-side Gunshop and take a look. Or, heck, even Atterbury's shooting range?

Beech Grove might accommodate or Bradis?

Another pair of eyes might very well be beneficial. I can also bring a few other brands of ammo for comparison-sake + another small revolver for comparison.

-J-
    I'm off on Friday too. PM inbound.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I had a chance to put another set of eyeballs on his revolver early this afternoon.

It certainly doesn't LOOK like there's anything wonky with it.

However, upon a closer inspection of the extractor star, I did notice some burrs/peening on the bottom of some of the points. One of the points had burrs on both sides, and a few more points had burrs on 1 side.

The extractor does indeed fit flush with the cylinder no problem...doesn't look bent to me whatsoever. There also doesn't seem to be any wobble on the ejector rod when the cylinder is spun.

The ammo he had issues with jamming up ended up with jacked up rims and wouldn't seat correctly when re-loaded into the cylinder.

My empty WWB ammo cases were sticky going in... But some Federal nickled brass cases that I brought dropped right in without a problem.

My empty WWB, empty Federal, + loaded Federal all seated properly and evenly on all 6 cylinders.

Couldn't dry-fire the revolver....hammer-mounted FP + no snap caps. I didn't even want to put in some already-fired cases in and dry fire - still not enough resistance for the FP.

Lock up is tight.

He said that he was going to seek out and work on those extractor burrs a bit to clean them up.

-J-

ETA: Also, on the top of the extractor star, towards the center rod, there seemed to be slight recesses in the semi-circular areas where the rim sits. Each chamber had one. As each of these recesses came together out on the points of the star, there were also teeny tiny little burrs there, too. I had my 642 to use as comparison... My revolver doesn't have these little recesses on the ejector star.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I had a chance to put another set of eyeballs on his revolver early this afternoon.

It certainly doesn't LOOK like there's anything wonky with it.

However, upon a closer inspection of the extractor star, I did notice some burrs/peening on the bottom of some of the points. One of the points had burrs on both sides, and a few more points had burrs on 1 side.

The extractor does indeed fit flush with the cylinder no problem...doesn't look bent to me whatsoever. There also doesn't seem to be any wobble on the ejector rod when the cylinder is spun.

The ammo he had issues with jamming up ended up with jacked up rims and wouldn't seat correctly when re-loaded into the cylinder.

My empty WWB ammo cases were sticky going in... But some Federal nickled brass cases that I brought dropped right in without a problem.

My empty WWB, empty Federal, + loaded Federal all seated properly and evenly on all 6 cylinders.

Couldn't dry-fire the revolver....hammer-mounted FP + no snap caps. I didn't even want to put in some already-fired cases in and dry fire - still not enough resistance for the FP.

Lock up is tight.

He said that he was going to seek out and work on those extractor burrs a bit to clean them up.

-J-

ETA: Also, on the top of the extractor star, towards the center rod, there seemed to be slight recesses in the semi-circular areas where the rim sits. Each chamber had one. As each of these recesses came together out on the points of the star, there were also teeny tiny little burrs there, too. I had my 642 to use as comparison... My revolver doesn't have these little recesses on the ejector star.

Thank you again for checking it out today! I haven't had a chance to do anything with it yet. As soon as I left Bradis, my mom called and wanted me to drive her to Bloomington to see my sister in the hospital, and I just got back a little bit ago. On the bright side, my buddy said yes to selling me his Mauser! I offered him $200 if it was mechanically sound (ie. safe) and he agreed. Supposed to get it tomorrow evening, but given that it's taken almost 2 weeks to get to this point, it may be longer... :rolleyes:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Well, I knocked the burrs off with a little careful Dremel work and used Eezox and a toothbrush to clean out those "recesses" you noticed in the ejector star, so now I guess I just need to get some shooting time to see if it's better now. If the ammo I ordered for my new Mauser comes in this week, it may be time for another trip down to my sister's place out in the country this weekend. :D

Top Bottom