• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TLHelmer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Evansville area
    Does anyone know if the bore axis on the S&W MP is higher,lower or the the same as a glock?

I was reading a thread about a member getting rid of his glock and the pictures he posted made me wonder what the bore axis was on the MP as compared to the Glock.

Thanks in advance!

Gun Bunny

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    I read that too. I think it is because the grip is more comfortable to him, not the bore axis. The M&P is a great gun and not taking anything away from the Glock, some people just don't the grip, me included.

rdg

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Fishers
    I have a Glock and I shot a friends M & P recently. Didn't notice any difference in the axis but the grip is a big change (especially with the three different sized grips you can put on it). My Gen 2 Glock 23 didn't fit me well but I bought a set of rubber slip on grips with finger ridges and love it! Didn't like the factory grips, though I do like the gun.

Liked the M & P as well!

Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    I'm pretty sure M&Ps have a lower bore axis. I'm not sure that it's a big enough deal to make a difference though (might be a mental thing). M&Ps simply have better grip ergonomics, which make them that much more comfortable to grip (in my opinion) and I simply shoot them better. I too read the review that you mentioned and went through the exact same experience (G19 to an M&P) because I could shoot the M&P better (more accurate and faster).

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Let's finish this debate once and for all.

The definition of bore axis is the relative height of the bore above the web of your hand when the gun is in a firing grip. I will post a pic of the above bore axis height of my M&P40 Pro and someone else can do the same with their G19... I no longer own a G19.

I removed the end-cap to expose the striker, which is in perfect alignment with the center-line of the the barrel bore. This allows an relative measurement to the top of the web of my hand.

M&P40 Pro Bore Axis Height: .879"
    boreaxis879.jpg

Please post a simlar pic and measurement for a G19, XD, CZ... Whatever.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    From my comparison the beavertail on the M&P forces the web of the hand down slightly (while also providing some amount of protection from slide bite).

The difference, however, is very minor.

Notice the gap between my hand the the slides here.

ejy7lu.jpg

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    From my comparison the beavertail on the M&P forces the web of the hand down slightly (while also providing some amount of protection from slide bite).

ejy7lu.jpg
    I can see why the difference is minor... The bottom of the slide seems closer to your hand with the Glock, but the overall height of the slide seems greater on the Glock (meaning that the bore axis would be higher, thus negating the difference in bore axis to hand difference). I think. Maybe. I might be fulla :poop:. Often am! ;)

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I can see why the difference is minor... The bottom of the slide seems closer to your hand with the Glock,

I admit its not a very scientific comparison. The pictures were taken at slightly different distances. If you look at the ejection ports in relation to my hand position it looks very close.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART

ejy7lu.jpg

Those are good pics of an actual grip, and why I said "relative measurement", as not everyone will grip a pistol the same way. My grip normal grip on the M&P is as high as the beaver-tail allows. One thing to note is that the M&P does have the upswept beaver-tail that does give a bit of an optical illusion. that the web is lower than it actually is. If your hand were to touch the beaver-tail on its entire length, the barrel would be pointed upward.

My M&P hold:
    highhold.jpg

TLHelmer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Evansville area
    Great post! Thanks for all the good posts on my question! I am really staring to love this site.

ejy7lu.jpg

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Wow! I never realized I had such hairy hands. :n00b:

Is anyone willing to measure the relative bore axis height (with pics) of their G19? It would be nice to have a thread on the forum to point folks to when the debate comes up in the future.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I will add another.

The Springfield 1911-A1 below shows a relative bore axis height of 1.286" (my hold) from the web of the hand to the center of the exposed firing pin. Even though the height is substantially more than the M&P's .879", it does not have a real adverse effect on speed shooting or quick follow-ups. This is most likely due to the 1911 being substantially heavier than the M&P, especially at the muzzle. If all else were equal, the lower bore axis pistol would have a relative advantage in those speed activities. It's a good thing that all else is not equal, because I shoot my 1911 better than any other handgun I own. :D

1911-A1 Relative Bore Axis Height 1.286"
    1911boreaxis1286.jpg

Last edited:

TLHelmer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Evansville area
    I have Glocks, but I don't have calipers. I would measure on if I did and settle this question for good. Thanks for the measurements you guys have already taken.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I can next time I'm down at lovemywoods' house.

Ok so I was down there a few days ago and took a measurement. Unfortunately I took it of the M&P and totally forgot I was supposed to take one for the Glock. Oops. :D

Top of my grip to center bore line was .817.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Ok so I was down there a few days ago and took a measurement. Unfortunately I took it of the M&P and totally forgot I was supposed to take one for the Glock. Oops. :D

Top of my grip to center bore line was .817.

You do indeed have a high grip sir... Now let's get that Glock G19 measured so that we can get on with more meaningless gun arguments. :D

Last edited:
    Top Bottom