• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JB75

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    fort wayne
    I was looking at a S&W preformance center pistol and I was wondering if anyone had one and could let me know if its worth it. ($2300) for A 1911

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    My one experience says it is absolutely not worth it.
    A student of mine brought two identical, new S&W Performance Center 1911 guns to a class. With magazines, he had well over $4,000 in the guns.

On the range, the first one failed to feed the very first round. It was plainly visible through the ejection port that the bullet was jammed on the feed ramp. However, neither one of us could get the slide back. We couldn't get the slide forward, either. We couldn't get the magazine out. It was as though the gun had been welded.

Okay, he had a spare.
    It fed the first round (whew)! However, on the fourth round it did exactly the same jam as the first gun. Locked solid. Couldn't get the slide forward. Couldn't get the slide back, and couldn't get the magazine out. Like it was welded.

The guy was devastated. $4,000 worth of S&W Performance Center 1911s, and neither worked. It wasn't the ammunition, because I let him borrow my Glock 21, and it performed flawlessly with his ammo (Winchester white box FMJ.)

I have zero--correction, negative--interest in a S&W Performance Center 1911.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I don't know about the Performance Center guns but I have a regular 1911Sc that has been completely reliable for the last six years. The only complaint would be that the finish was a little thin.

FERLACH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Plainfield
    I own 2 Smith Wesson Performance Center Revolvers. Both cost double what a standard model would cost. Both have very good smooth triggers, but I do not feel they are worth the extra money. Trigger smoothness and unusual barrel configureation are not worth more than double the price.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Nothing that S&W currently produces is worth what they want to charge for them. The Performance Center guns are an even bigger ripoff. If you want a nice S&W find an old one and have a real smith repair/rebuild/customize/tune it.

ultraspec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    I have a smith 1911 PD (same as the sc with the scandium fram) not only has it been 100% but all my friends who have shot it at the range want one too.

I have another Sc that I havent shot yet and just picked a pro series up today and will be at the range tommorrow so we will see

JB75

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    fort wayne
    Wow I'm glad I asked before buying. I seen something on a Ed brown massad ayoob signature series 1911 maybe I will research that one A little more. Thank you for the feedback everyone.

Top Bottom