• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sturge

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    Madison County
    Besides the 2 obvious problems being the trigger pull and the entry level Smith.

I'm having problem with certain ammunition at the range jamming. The only ammunition I have found so far that don't is federal. The Winchester target load 100rd box seems like it doesn't want to eject you can see mark on casing where it is trying. It has 10rd mags and I'm unable to get through a full magazine without a problem. I happened to be at the range with a friend that is a big gun fanatic and he looked at it and give me some federal ammunition and it would eject them clear to the next station and in a pile.

I have been to the range a few times since the problem and others have been there with the same .40 or the 9mm version and I notice they are having the same issue

Is there something I'm able to do to fix the issue or is is time to start shopping for a new handgun?

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    some guns just like certain amo. i've got an AR that only wants to shoot remington. no matter what clip or how many times i try it HATES everything else.
    i'd say start shoping and buy more federal if you keep the SIGMA

sturge

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    Madison County
    Luckily the Anderson Walmart isn't far away and is usually good about stocking federal ammo.
    I have 3 factory mags and each has same results. We even tried adjusting the spring on the mags to see if the would help but it didn't.
    My only confidence boost is at least when I carry it it's loaded with federal ammunition.

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    yeah, i've seen this problem before. and it's nothing but irritating..
    just gonna have to deal with it until you get a new toy!

john0286

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    My sigma .40 eats and loves anything i feed it. 800 rounds through it with ZERO malfunctions. Federal, WWB in 165grain and 180 grain, pmc bronze, remmington umc, and american eagle. plus small amounts of less popular brands. Call Smith.

sturge

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    Madison County
    I've owned it for 11 years used to take it to the range every Sunday for the first four years firing at least 100rd/ time. If memory serves me right it used to eat any ammo and i never had any problems. Then I switched job and hadn't fired but a couple of times until last July and this problem started. I clean it after every range visit.

jsheets1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 12, 2011
    Portage NWI
    Ahh you have one of the older model sigmas. I used to have one that did the same thing so it went bye bye. I just recently picked up a sigma 9ve and have not had any ftf or fte even with reloads and white box.

sturge

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    Madison County
    I took it to a local gun shop and was able to compare it to a brand new one. We noticed that the extractor spring didn't have as much tension as the new one. I call Smith they sent me a new one. I should be taking it to range to test it tomorrow. I also found out most people thought it had a lifetime warranty, but I was informed sigmas only have a one year warranty for the original owner.

GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    Sorry to hear about your Sigma problems. I have owned the 9ve and really liked it. Traded it for a 40ve (wanted to expand caliber options) and like it too. I don't mind the longer, stiffer trigger for a defensive gun. I actually prefer that on a gun without a manual safety. My Sigmas have had no failures with a variety of ammo, but mine are recent models too. It sounds like you are on the right track gettng a newer, stronger spring. I hope it works. I thought maybe it was the recoil spring (not letting slide kick back far enough or strong enough) but it could be extractor too. Keep us posted.
    ---
    GB!

john0286

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Good luck with the new spring, Clearly something is wrong with the gun. I have 1200 rounds through mine with zero malfunctions. WWB, Federal Champion, American Eagle, Remmington UMC, CCI brass.

18Shooter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    Indianapolis, west side.
    I love my 9VE. I bought it NIB in 2004 for $279 plus tax. It eats any and all ammo regardless of nose shape, velocity, metal vs lead, whatever. No problems -- until my extractor breaks.

My 9VE is on its 3rd extractor. The gun shop owner replaced the first on the same year I bought the gun. The next year S&W custom cut and fitted a .40 cal extractor to my 9VE, and it lasted from 2006 until this spring. (They also did a "fluff and buff" on the sear and its contact surfaces.

In June of 2011 I started getting a few extraction problems, then more and more, so I called S&W. I could not believe how quickly they replaced my extractor. Literally one week total (not "working days") from the day I sent it in, they had it back in my hands. It's perfect again.

In my case, I believe part of my problem was improper cleaning due to over-lubricating the gun. I was also possibly using the wrong kind of lube when I first bought the gun.

During the 5-years stretch when I had no extraction problems I was using a dry lube. I finally ran out of the dry stuff and started using an old concoction I used for my revolvers and long guns. It was less than two months after going to the "wet" lube that my extractor bent again, and a little piece of it broke off.

Of course, my contention that insufficient cleaning and over-lubing caused my extraction problem is only conjecture on my part, but there is some evidence to support it. For example, this year, the day before I sent my 9VE in to S&W, I did an extreme cleaning and a visual inspection with high-magnification glasses. This was after I had started experiencing extraction problems. I was appauled to noticed metal particles, sludge, and grime around the extractor area that I had never noticed before. As for the first two extractors back in 2004 and 2005, I was a rookie to semi-automatic weapons. I'm sure I was over-oiling then, but I didn't have the sense or experience to know it.

It's not that I think other people are over-oiling their Sigmas. But in my case, the over-oiling led to a dirty gun that never really got completely cleaned. Now I am meticulous in my cleaning sessions.

Also I am careful to compensate for my declining up-close vision. My eyes have gone head-long into the over-50 category. For several years I was cleaning my guns without the aid of reading glasses. Man, was I ever surprised to see what I had been missing with just the naked eye. Regardless of the type of lube we use, it is a good idea to clean our guns carefully and completely.

If I'm right, I may not have to send my 9VE in for another 10 years, or longer (hopefully).

Good luck to you with your 40VE. These are great carry guns, in my opinion.

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    I took it to a local gun shop and was able to compare it to a brand new one. We noticed that the extractor spring didn't have as much tension as the new one. I call Smith they sent me a new one. I should be taking it to range to test it tomorrow. I also found out most people thought it had a lifetime warranty, but I was informed sigmas only have a one year warranty for the original owner.

really? i sent mine in for a broken extractor two weeks ago. i've owned it for at least 3 years, put about 8000 rounds through it, thoroughly abused it and even told them that. they still sent me a shipping label, and then replaced the extractor and spring, polished the feedramp, replaced the guide rod and spring assembly, and replaced the firing pin and striker spring. Then sent it back within two weeks free of charge. i got it back yesterday. +1 S&W customer service!

sturge

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    Madison County
    Well the new extractor spring made it better but still having problem with it jamming. I called Smith and Wesson and they are on shut down until August 12. I have heard of others getting their sigmas fixed by Smith but when I called them and told them I'm not the original owner then they want me to pay shipping to them then they'll give me a quote on repairs needed and return shipping cost. This makes me debate on how much more money to put into it or buy something different.

sturge

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    Madison County
    seriously, call them up, tell them it won't feed properly and to send you a shipping label. it was really pretty easy for me...
    :twocents:
    I have called them since I'm not the original owner. Smith wants me to pay for shipping and then pay for all repairs and return shipping. I'm not sure it is worth the money.

donnie1581

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Elwood, IN
    I went 2 weeks ago to the range and the same thing is happening to me. I have the older version also. I thoroughly cleaned it and cleaned all the magazines but I haven't been back to the range yet. Hopefully I can get to the range again this weekend and figure something out.

sturge

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    Madison County
    I have changed the extractor spring and also the recoil spring but still jamming. Today at the range had the trigger not function a couple of times with a round chambered. I took it to local gun shop we compared it with new one even tried switching slides and trigger would work fine for few dry fires then not but not consistent. My thoughts are give up and buy something different.

Top Bottom