• ...and so much more!
  • MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I'd drive one....and I'm a Ford guy, but they sound kinda neat

As an aside, if you drive a Corolla, you are driving the national car of Afghanistan.......FWIW

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    They might not of have been "smog choked cars". For 12,500 cars shipped out of the country, they would ship them to spec. They might have been better running cars than the US models

In the late 70's to early 80's, clearly smog years, AMC had the Concord sedan. At the same time, they were selling a Concord shaped car in Mexico that said "Rambler" on it. They were cheaper, less trim models that lacked many of the USA mandated items. They did not even have a heater / defroster.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I had an '80 Malibu station wagon my wife drove when the kids were young. I build a mild 350 for it. That thing was a ball! I used to stoplight drag race Mustang 5.0's. Enjoyed seeing their faces when I left them at the light. :)

Great weight transfer.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The first car I drove after I got my license was a 1978 Malibu Station Wagon. That is the same body as those; that generation GM "A" body ran from '78 to '81. Flat vinyl benches, fake wood- the rear windows did not roll down. They weren't broken- they were made to not roll down. That's great, but ours didn't have air conditioning.

It had a 200 ci (3.3L) V6- I would have killed for Saddam's 110hp 3.8L. Mine had 95 hp.

First, Iraq was not our enemy then. Iran was and Iraq was soaking up Iran's resources in a protracted war.

Second, even if in the midst of an actual declared war, I wouldn't say that sending them 12,500 Malibus of this vintage was giving "aid and comfort". I'd say is was akin to an injured soldier taking 2 other soldiers out of the fight to get his to the rear. Every Malibu we sold them tied up a tow truck and a mechanic and cost them time and money.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    The first car I drove after I got my license was a 1978 Malibu Station Wagon. That is the same body as those; that generation GM "A" body ran from '78 to '81. Flat vinyl benches, fake wood- the rear windows did not roll down. They weren't broken- they were made to not roll down. That's great, but ours didn't have air conditioning.

It had a 200 ci (3.3L) V6- I would have killed for Saddam's 110hp 3.8L. Mine had 95 hp.

First, Iraq was not our enemy then. Iran was and Iraq was soaking up Iran's resources in a protracted war.

Second, even if in the midst of an actual declared war, I wouldn't say that sending them 12,500 Malibus of this vintage was giving "aid and comfort". I'd say is was akin to an injured soldier taking 2 other soldiers out of the fight to get his to the rear. Every Malibu we sold them tied up a tow truck and a mechanic and cost them time and money.
    Yup, mine had the V6 and fake wood which I peeled off not knowing the paint under it was kinda thin. Still looked better.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Even when he was our declared enemy, I agree he actually helped to put Iran's and others in the region in check, and from our standpoint that was a good thing.

That said, there were sanctions against Iraq according to the article at the time due to terrorism support, and GM apparently had to route the vehicles by way of Canada to circumvent the sanctions.

I also agree that sending these vehicles over probably did tie up more resources than they provided. Only a Ford Fairmont could have probably done that job better at the time.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    You and me are a minority unfortunately. Manual trans equipped sales are down around 2% last I heard.

It's sad.
    None of the big 3 offer a manual trans in pickup trucks, and I cant think of a car/suv with a manual. I take that back, Challenger, Mustang, Camaro, etc were still available with Manual. I miss shifting gears.

Top Bottom