• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hdrenollet

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 13, 2016
    South Indy/Greenwood
    Just ordered this from Amazon for my Glock 19. I've been wanting to try the new Safariland ALS holster, but haven't had a chance yet. Feel free to share any opinions. I'll post a full review once I have a chance to try it out for a little while.

I'm excited... actually, I don't know that's it's normal for me to be this excited about a new holster. It's been a while since I've had a chance to try out new holster.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I got mine about 2 months ago. Same gun.

Initial thoughts:
    Very well made and an excellent price.

Almost no learning curve. This was my first real retention holster and I was a bit concerned I would have to practice the draw stroke a lot to get used to the release. But it took about 3 draws before I was doing it confidently. Your thumb is right there, so it's really natural and easy.

The retention is excellent. I bought this for open carry and I wanted more than a retention screw. I'm confident the gun would stay in if I had to run, or wrestle around on the ground. I also think it would delay most gun grab attempts, BUT because of the location of the release, someone who knew what they were doing could get a good angle from directly behind and get the gun out. I realize the likelihood of that happening is statistically zero, but it's possible.

It's a big rig. I use the paddle attachment because it's easy on and easy off. But it sticks out pretty far away from the body. But again, I bought it for open carry, so no big deal. I haven't tried the belt loop setup but I have to imagine it would be easier to conceal that way.

Overall I really do like it. I need to get to a training class this spring to really start working with it.

This is the one I have. It was like $37 on Amazon. Great deal.

0-650-safariland-7ts-als-concealment-belt-loop-holster-black.jpg

hdrenollet

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 13, 2016
    South Indy/Greenwood
    Thanks for the input! That's the exact one that I got: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00G9UR7BU/ I had a $25 gift card for Amazon from Christmas, so I only ended up paying $16 out of pocket. Totally worth it.

Most of my holsters have been cheap nylon IWB, and I had a Fobus paddle once that wasn't too bad. Since I'm around the kids a lot more now, and I carry 24/7, I really wanted one with a decent retention system, and I did not like the idea of anything going into the trigger guard, like the SERPA holsters do. Just one of my things, I don't believe that anything should be in the trigger guard unless you're pulling the trigger.

I'm not too concerned about the size, I usually OC, especially in the winter since it's more comfortable and it stays fairly concealed under my coat.

Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it! I can't wait to try it out! Should be here between Thursday and Saturday this week, not bad for free shipping. I'll let you all know what I think when it gets here.

Last edited:

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    I carry the similiar duty version. Mine has the hood and the thumb release. I just keep my hood down and only use the thumb release and in the fights Ive been in nobody has tried to get the gun out yet.

romad7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    I have the other style ALS but love that retention system. I use it for off body (truck, bag, etc) carry so the holster stay on no matter what. Regular holsters can have good retention but difficult to draw from if not on a belt. With the ALS, I just thumb the release and the holster falls away. Getting a 7TS for my wife in her purse for added security and ease of draw.

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    Thanks to all for enlightening me to the exisitance of such a great holster. Will buy one as Im looking for a good level II holster for use while hunting/scouting and hiking.

Top Bottom