• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bglaze

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    I have an 8 yr. old, a 6 yr. old, and 1 yr. old in the house.

My guns currently stay in the safe, which is not in my bedroom due to lack of space.

We've had a few "scares" where someone has come to the door very late at night (One time, it was a drunk girl at the wrong house. One time it was my cat that got let out on accident and was opening and shutting the storm door after midnight), and I would like to have my rifle (Windham AR15 Carbine) near me in my room.

I'd like it to be under the bed or somewhere near me for quick access.

My older two children are familiar with my guns and have been trained according to their age. However, I still want to make sure my rifle is completely secure, because they are young, and honestly, I don't trust the little trip-hazards to not have moments of idiocy.

Does anyone have recommendations for a safe way to store my rifle near me that still allows for quick access if needed?

Thanks so much!

roisigns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Oct 5, 2011
    cincy
    Cable lock. Inexpensive and allows you to place rifle where you want. Hide the key or wear it on a necklace.

Marion Co. used to give them out free.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I had hooks on the inside of the closet above the door. Simply opening the door, the rifle was still hidden from view. I installed the hooks so my raised hands were right on the grip and fore arm when I was barefoot. Determined 8 or 9 year olds could still get it if left alone long enough, so I stored it unloaded, with ammo hidden near by.

whiteoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2015
    In The Whiteoaks
    I saw comments on putting things up high, We had a 3 year old that took an "elf on the shelf" off the blade of the ceiling fan! Used her moms little kitchen ladder on the coffee table. Just last week her mom caught her in the act, and scared her bad enough to call me at work crying. Some of them are climbers...

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    JMHO, leave the rifle out, where it is easy to get to ..... Keep all the ammo locked up ..... YOU or your wife, has a magazine on your person....

is back pocket.... and just be ready .....

or put a lock on the bedroom door .....

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Buy something that takes a lot of hand strength to chamber a round and keep the chamber empty.

Back in the time when my kids were small that was an Automag.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    The Stack-On in wall unit looks good despite all the reports of bent corners. However, we have no children in the house so our situation is different than the OP. We have "night guns" which go back in a safe when we get up and visiting grandkids do not have access to our bedroom where the EDC guns would be. I won't pass up the chance to say I can't agree with the idea that a home defense weapon would be one which is capable of penetrating several walls. Particularly with kids in the house!

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    W t
    Eight and six years old. Smart enough to drag a chair over if they want to get to something high up.

Kids these ages should be taught to never touch or handle any guns unless with supervision. Show them pictures of dead people from gun shots. Like how my driving class showed carnage from drunk drivers.

Top Bottom