• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    That should weed out most of the miscreants.
    Great idea, but I do wonder how they will feel the first time someone wants to sell a handgun person to person.
    I know it's legal in Indiana for one resident to sell to another resident who is a "proper person", but that likely won't carry much weight in the cop-shop lobby.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I think meeting at a PD's parking lot for these transactions is a good idea. Doing so in the lobby is a great idea but I think that just meeting in the parking lot would be enough and doesn't require permission of the PD really.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Excellent idea from Spencer PD. "Protect and Serve".

I do all my transactions in the lobby or parking lot of Dunkin' Donuts. WAY more Police there than hanging around that ol' station... :lmfao:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I worked as Desk Sergeant in Ft Wayne from 1999 through 2001. I can't count how many child visitation and private transactions of items were conducted under my steely gaze and authoritative manner inside Police Headquarters on Creighton Avenue.

All part of keeping the peace. I encouraged it.

(My steely gaze is something to behold, I am told):):

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Who's going to meet their tranny hooker...errr "deep tissue massage therapist" at the PD?

The *VAST* majority of craigslist/backpage robberies involve vice transactions. I think the crooks (rightfully) believe men are less likely to report they were robbed for fear their spouse and community will find out. It also is a good reason to meet at an abandoned house, an alley with a parked car, etc. which makes it a lot easier than meeting at Wal-mart.

Electronics make up the majority of non-vice set ups. Those folks would be well served to meet at the PD.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    McNairy County Sheriffs Office
    2 hours ago ·
    Due to the recent high profile Craigslist murder, the Sheriff's Office would like to offer the Complex parking lot as a location for citizens to meet and conduct their transactions. The parking lot is under 24 hour video surveillance and the building is staffed around the clock. The address is 300 Industrial Drive, Selmer Tn. 38375. Always be aware of a deal that seems too good, it usually is.
    481 Likes · 28 Comments

This must be a "thing" now...I just saw this come across my Facebook feed this morning.

(I still follow a number of Tennessee related feeds).

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Good idea. I bought and sold a bunch of stuff on there. Never had an issue and always meet in a public place.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Sounds like a decent idea. I usually just meet in a public place, and have never had a Craigslist (or INGO) issue. Of course, when describing myself (so the other person can find me), saying "I'll be the one with the gun" might help a bit.

Razer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2013
    South Central Indiana
    I did a craigslist deal just today where I drove out to the middle of nowhere in the country, to the end of a dead end road, facing a creek and went to the persons house. Was there all of 120 seconds and on my way. I did tell my wife it was a great location to meet, they could shoot us in seclusion and dump our bodies in the creek/river and watch us float away. She was not amused.

I was purchasing a vacuum and figured I was safe enough lol, country meets worry me less than city ones in general. Nice new in box Dyson though so it was worth the trip!

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    True protect and serve story from Spencer: Back in the day when I lived in Owen County I had occasion to renew my LTCH. Ambled over to the sheriff's office and the nice lady there sat me in a chair and typed up my app form for me as I provided the information. Yes, TYPED MY FORM. We had a friendly chat at the same time. Two big :yesway::yesway: from me.

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    From the Wells County Sheriff Office.
    With the tragedies and crimes that have been occurring throughout the country involving citizens buying and selling items on Craigslist. We here at the Wells County Sheriff Office would like to offer our parking lot and lobby for any citizens to use while meeting someone that they have entered into an agreement with via an on-line sales arrangement. A person never knows what kind of person they will be meeting so please note, this is not an offer of participating in or being part of any business transactions. We simply want to provide a safe and secure area for you to conduct your business in. This offer also goes out to those who must exchange children as a part of a divorce decree or shared parenting agreement. We have provided a space for the safe and non-confrontational exchange of children for year's and our goal is to continue this service.
    All we ask is that upon arrival you notify the on duty communications staff so they can take the appropriate measures to ensure you have a safe exchange of property or children, depending on the circumstance.
    Sincerely.
    Sheriff Monte Fisher
    Looks like Wells County is doing this as well. Somebody's idea caught on...

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles

Rollerman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 1, 2012
    Goshen
    Never had a problem buying an item off or through Craigslist, but the kinds of stuff I've bought from C list don't generally leave me feeling suspicious.
    The same can be said about the few firearms deals I've had here on INGO.
    Now Armslist & the Facebook groups are another story.....:rolleyes:

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    The two times I bought something off Craigslist turned out fine. Same with INGO, never had one ounce of trouble.

This seems like a good idea though.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    As a resident in the area it is a good idea. I've done many craigslist deals. None have gone bad, but knowing the area, and some of the back woods areas, it would be a great meeting place at the police station.

Top Bottom