• ...and so much more!
  • fg12351

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Fishers
    Hey all,

I'm inheriting a long gun safe from my father who has one that came with his new cabin. I was wondering where to put this thing. Can I store it in my finished basement or will it and my guns (that I will eventually be purchasing) rust? I have a dehumidifier that keeps it around 60-65% humidity. I have an enclosed small closet under the stairs in the basement that I thought would be great.

I think the safe is similar to the stack-on type safes but am not sure.

It's not a very large safe, would a second floor be an option?

Let me know your thoughts,

Thanks,

FG12351

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Hey all,

I'm inheriting a long gun safe from my father who has one that came with his new cabin. I was wondering where to put this thing. Can I store it in my finished basement or will it and my guns (that I will eventually be purchasing) rust? I have a dehumidifier that keeps it around 60-65% humidity. I have an enclosed small closet under the stairs in the basement that I thought would be great.

I think the safe is similar to the stack-on type safes but am not sure.

It's not a very large safe, would a second floor be an option?

Let me know your thoughts,

Thanks,

FG12351

It depends on the weight of the safe, the size doesnt say much about the weight.
    If it's too heavy having it on the second floor could be a problem, it could also be a problem to carry it in your basement.

I would not worry too much about humidity if you clean and oil your guns on a regular basis but that's just me.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    2nd floor

2nd floor for a small safe should not be a problem. screw it to the floor and the studs in the wall. IMHO humidity is to be avoided with iron objects. That includes tools and guns. I keep mine in an HVAC conditioned space.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I do not have a dehumidifier in my safe. I oil my guns once a week, and I have yet to have any rust problems. You can by desiccant packs that you cook in the oven to recharge them.

markiemark

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 21, 2011
    Liberty, IN
    I would think the basement would be fine......especially if you have a dehumidifier down there with it. If your still concerned about it you could get the dry packs or get the golden rod. I use it in mine i have and have not had any problems.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I had to keep my safe in a basement for a while. I made a sturdy pallet of 2 X 4 boards to raise the safe up off the floor and to allow air to circulate, to keep the concrete floor from sweating. It worked, I didn't get any rust on the bottom of my safe. I did keep the firearms well oiled, just incase. Good Luck

fg12351

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Fishers
    Thanks for the info guys....I may try the basement and just keep the dehumidifier going. Will report back.

Top Bottom