• ...and so much more!
  • thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I'll add this tidbit from my buddy, a locksmith:

Get combo dial. Specifically a S&G (sargent and greenleaf) dial.

He has replaced lots of the pushbutton electric pads for failure to open on many makes and models of safes. The only brand of lock he uses for replacement is s&g.

I'll also add that safes are like barns....go much bigger than you think you will need. Much much bigger. Your wife's jewelry, kids pics, car titles, wedding pics, etc are all gonna end up in there.

Several years ago my dad bought a nice Browning safe and he ordered it with an S&G combo dial. So @ 10yrs later one morning he gets up to ho hunting and his safe wouldn't unlock. Later that day he tried it again and after 4 tries it opened but then it never opened again. Contacted some safe & lock co and they replaced it with a digital keypad because they claimed the combo was prone to failure.
    So like someone else said best bet is good insurance and the safe is more of a secondary insurance/ security for those valuables

Last edited:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I would like to update to something better than I have but my Cannon safe was only @ 1k when I bought it. 1300deg /45 min rated holds more guns than I have with plenty of space for other stuff too. Bought it through Tractor Supply, just make sure it will make the twists & turns to get it where you want it in the house. I went too big to make the turns and couldn't get it into my bedroom now it's stuck in living room...almost 10yrs later my wife still complains

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    Liberty Safes are good value / lifetime warranty against fire and theft / fatboys are great and the colonial is EXCELLENT value!!!! and made in :patriot: unlike Cannons which are made in slantville!!!

GGF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I've owned a Browning safe for 24 years and would recommend the brand without hesitation.
    No electronic dial and heavy steel. I paid $1200 for it new.

As others have said, if you have kids in the house a safe is a must.

GGF

Top Bottom