• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sgt Stoner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Fishers
    :dunno:Im looking for a pistol safe that is Quick to access the pistol when needed but also secure enough to keep little ones out. Keyed safes dont seem to cut it and im not really looking to spend a fortune. Any Ideas?

dye

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Gun Vault. Small safes that have a finger key pad. You can turn the beeps off to make it silent. They com ein several different models. My wife got me one for Christmas. I bolted it to the shelf in our closet. I think she got it at Cabela's web site.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    Gun Vaults are great. I have them in 3 different places in my house. You do not have to be able to see to operate the keypad. The only issue is the door makes some noise when it snaps open.

Sweetums

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lake County
    Check out the Winchester eVault. They make a very nice safe. They have both key access and electronic button combination access. Spring loaded lid will pop open when its unlocked. That comes in very handy if you need to mount it vertically.

dye

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    NE Indiana
    I know they have them with the finger print reader, but have no experience with that one. The one I have has four programable touch buttons on the top. You set your own combination code. As keymaster said, they are operable by touch, so it works great in the dark. IMO the keypad would be less likely to error as compared to the finger print scan model.

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I've got three GunVaults at home (not the biometric readers) w/ the 4 key pad access, and I've been impressed by their quality and value.

I read enough suspect reviews about the biometric readers/fingerprint that made me stay away from them. YMMV however.

BrownDog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I own 2 GunVaults and like them, the only caveat is that you need to be vigilant in changing out the batteries on a yearly basis, YMMV (depends on how often you open the unit). I can't think of a more stressful situation than when you need your gun and the unit won't open because the batteries went dead and your hunting for the key. Murphy's law... batteries will go dead when you need it most.

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Gun Vault. Small safes that have a finger key pad. You can turn the beeps off to make it silent. They com ein several different models. My wife got me one for Christmas. I bolted it to the shelf in our closet. I think she got it at Cabela's web site.

+1 on GunVault. However, If a kid (teen) wanted into it, they could do it. Other than that, I have one and I like it. (Suggest addition of a true gun safe for longer term/larger storage.)

rush176

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2010
    somewhere over the rainbow
    +1 on GunVault. However, If a kid (teen) wanted into it, they could do it. Other than that, I have one and I like it. (Suggest addition of a true gun safe for longer term/larger storage.)
    Not sure what you mean by a kid being able to get into one. Are you talking about a kid who has the combination (like my child) or are you saying some punk who steals it (rips it out of the wall or where ever I have it bolted down) from my home?

If its my child and I have given them the combination I have already made sure they know how to handle the weapon inside and their lives are threatened. If you're saying its easy to defeat the lock then that is a whole different matter and I would look for a different way to secure my weapon.

JR50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Significantly North of Rt. 30
    I have a bio Gunvault. It doesn't work most of the time. I called them to buy a button keypad as a replacement. They said it won't fit. I told them I'm capable of making the alterations to the box. They wouldn't budge.

If you're going to buy a Gunvault, from my experience get the keypad version PLEASE!

cornfused

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    out east
    I also have the winchester Evault and think it is great!

It has a power cord as well as batteries, a 4 finger button kepad with a digital display,

a key lock, an internal light and is big enough to hold two pistols.

t413

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    NE IN
    I have a bio Gunvault. It doesn't work most of the time.

You probably only scanned in your finger print a few times which is why your Gunvault Bio reader doesn't work.

The key to get a Bio Gunvault to work all the time is the scan in each finger about 50 times.
    Scan it from various angles, various partial to smudging prints, slow to quick prints.

That way no matter how you put your thumb on the reader, off angle, partial thumb, whatever..it will accept it.

Thing is, it will still deny other people as their prints/partial prints will not matchup with yours.

My Bio Gunvault has worked 100% of the time I've owned it.
    You just have to take the time to scan your finger in about 50 times at the begining.

Top Bottom