• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smidrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2016
    Next Door
    Looking for somebody close who can do this for me at a reasonable price, or guide me throught it, I would like somebody local if possible southeastern IN, Greensburg, osgood, versailles, Batesville, sunman, lawrenceburg, madison or close to one of these if possible. I have two saiga's so a total of 10 small holes and possibly spot weld the pistol grip retaining plate, I have welding skills but I'm not confident enough to weld on my receiver afraid of blowing holes in it, cause I have is a stick welder. If this could be done please respond below of via pm, will do all sanding so welding can go smoothly...

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    use a copper backer no risk of blow through i used a Mig welder on mine pretty hard to mess up with a shield gas... Arc welding i dont think that would be a good idea on a receiver.... Id make friends with someone with a mig welder .... and i drilled three hole on my retaining plate and plug welded them in looks just like spot welds when your done and its a stronger weld.... Post some pictures when your done!

smidrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2016
    Next Door
    use a copper backer no risk of blow through i used a Mig welder on mine pretty hard to mess up with a shield gas... Arc welding i dont think that would be a good idea on a receiver.... Id make friends with someone with a mig welder .... and i drilled three hole on my retaining plate and plug welded them in looks just like spot welds when your done and its a stronger weld.... Post some pictures when your done!

Will any retaining plate work? There are many and all I'm seeing are for side folders? Drilling holes and plug welding sounds like a good idea....I can weld and grind but all I have is stick and yes that scares me....Like you said I'ma going to have to make a friend lol. I have some copper on hand do I need just small enough to cover holes, I take it and them some? And I did pick up another one do did some work on that it's striped lol, unfortunately either of mine have dimples, but who needs em I heard that's bucause they are rpk receivers any truth to this?...I did stained my wood I got for it, how's it look I went with Black Onxy
    20160711_171623.jpg

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    The point of the copper is that is a dissimilar metal and therefore will not stick to steel size really isnt that important just enough to clamp it in place and cover your hole.... i used a 1x4x 1/8 thick piece and there was no need to trim/cut that piece down at all and a smashed piece of copper tubing work great as well (its just there to support the back side of your hold which will be inside your receiver) retaining plates are pretty much all the same if your talking about ak builder that underfolder/sidefolder talk is for guys that want a period/country correct part for there rifle i bought the sidefolder one myself but it really doesnt matter....Vepr's and most yugo's are built on what some people refer to as rpk receivers basically that just means its 1.5mm thick rather than the standard 1mm saiga's for the most part are 1mm with exception to the saiga .308 ... no the lack of the dimple as nothing to do with the type of receiver the dimple is merely used to remove side to side wobble of a magazine rather than relying on the bolt rails alone.... you'll see that pretty much all miltary akm's and rpk's will have this but some countries like russian have been doing away with small features like this military export models and civilian market models to save on cost.... the stock refinish looks great! make sure you put some type of top coat or oil on that to protect that finish i like shellac buffed with steelwool but there is a hundred different ways to do it

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Aluminum will also make a great backer. It might be easier to find. I have some scrap. If you want to give me some measurements I will cut you a piece and send it to you for the cost of shipping. It won't be much.

smidrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2016
    Next Door
    Aluminum will also make a great backer. It might be easier to find. I have some scrap. If you want to give me some measurements I will cut you a piece and send it to you for the cost of shipping. It won't be much.

Appreciate it but I have a lot of copper sheets on hand Im going to use.

And I covered my stain with polyurethane, think im going to weld them holes up this weekend so I will be in touch..Thanks for the support and ideas

smidrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2016
    Next Door
    Sorry for the delay fellow Ingunowners lol...Have been very busy with work and the family....finally getting welded tomorrow...One question I weld the old trigger holes, front grip hole, old stock hole underneath, and can I weld up the old trigger hole as well? Is this right or should I not weld up the old trigger hole?

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    I never welded up my old trigger opening (for a lack of a better term) I used a reinforcement plate it stiffens and covers the hole.... but you can easily weld that up but use a piece filler sheet metal fitted to that hole (if you try and puddle over that large of a hole you will over heat that reciever removing some of the heat treated and likely warp it .personally I welded up just BHO lever slot and the old trigger pin holes (five cover up welds in total). pistol grip nut hole was under that plate don't touch it the only open hole should be where the extended trigger was

Top Bottom