• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joeyidgaf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Indiana
    I bought 2 guns this weekend. I will post them separately. I picked up a Saiga 308. It has a wood stock and very clean and original. The gun is excellent condition and appears to be an early one. Came with 2 mags. Any opinion is appreciated. I have never shot a 308. Advantage or disadvantage over a 223 or 7.62x39? Is this a keeper? Thanks

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    I have one and about the only thing I didn't like about it was the trigger was not too hot and didn't allow for much adjustment. If you do a conversion, it puts the trigger right next to the bolt hold open tab.

But those are minor annoyances. I was really surprised how accurate it can be (22" barrel) and have since converted it to a "Saiganov". Amazing what a difference the new trigger group made in it.

One thing you want to check is cycling. If it's used, it's probably already been fixed but the .308's (mine included) had issues with the bolt hanging on the next round in the magazine. Mine was bad enough that hand cycling snap caps was a problem. Some patient filing and deburring fixed that.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    zip over to the saiga 12 forums

I've been a member since 04 there, limitless info from people who have owned/own the entire saiga lineup.

One little thing I can throw at you is, the first 2 digits of your serial number are the year of production. My saiga 12 also has the year of production stamped in 2 digits to the front of the siderail.

There's match grade triggers available after you do a conversion. (AK-47 I haven't tried one yet but I'm itching to get one for my PSL) I would strongly suggest a conversion is the first thing you look into, the guns are purposely broken for import reasons, which is why the trigger is located in such an awkward place. Once you convert it you'll have a much better balanced gun and you will add value to the gun. It takes maybe 5-10 minutes max with a dremel tool to do the "hard stuff." The hardest part is actually part of basic re-assembly involving installing the shepard's hook. Yes, it's easier to convert than it is to do basic maintenance on, especially with the massive availability of DIY kits that provide bolt on trigger guards with pistol-grip nuts built into them, so you don't have to cut on your receiver.

CONVERSION KIT #1 <b>all Saiga 223, 7.62, 308, 5.45 Rifles and 410 & 20 Gauge Shotguns</b>

The stuff will be back in stock before long, if you don't want to wait just buy the trigger guard from the kit and track down the rest of the abundant standard AK parts.
    TRIGGER GUARD-CAROLINA AK47 SAIGA RIFLE BOLT ON

If you're considering optics for the gun, don't go the silly route with some UTG rail mount. Just get a proper POSP and be done with it. You'll have a proper scope and have it properly mounted. It will retain zero when you remove and remount it, and it will properly fit the weapon and give you proper eye relief. It'll also be the cheapest way to go. Kalinka is who I would recommend because they're easiest to deal with, I've heard great things about eastwave though. Here's kalinka's POSPs: AK, Vepr, Saiga, SLR and other AK-style POSP Rifle Scopes

I have an 8x42D on my PSL and it's quite a nice scope with much better glass than most american optics.

Last edited:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I was really surprised how accurate it can be (22" barrel) and have since converted it to a "Saiganov". Amazing what a difference the new trigger group made in it.

I'd like to know how accurate your rifle is and how far you target shoot with it. I've always wanted to buy a saiga, but stayed away because I kept hearing about 2" groups off a rest with a trigger job and match ammo. The idea of an accurate Saiga in 308 is something I want in my just in case pile.

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    I was getting two inch groups at 100yds with the stock trigger, a front rest, and British surplus ammo (or sometimes South African).

It's not a world beater for accuracy... but after hearing all the guff about 3-4MOA, and knowing I'm just not that accurate myself (yet), I was not unhappy with it. ;)

I think if I was looking for sub-MOA accuracy, I'd look for something else, though. My main goal with this one was something fun to shoot, fun to tinker with (convert) and would "run all day" if I need it to.

I did take it out Friday with the new trigger group but it was so gusty, I had a hard time grouping well. Still.. the new RSA trigger gave it an awesome two-stage pull that had me grinning all afternoon. I just need to remember the shave the hold open tab back a little bit to get it out of the way.

Top Bottom