• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smidrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2016
    Next Door
    I am getting ready to order my conversion kit and bullet guide from CSS which one should I buy? I plan on putting ak wood furniture on it, with a pistol grip, and I always hear people saying "IF ITS DONE RIGHT"....this has me worried how can one not do it right by ordering wrong parts or having no knowledge on the matter? should I go with Basic kit one or two maybe three bolt on trigger guard, does not all trigger guards bolt on or what PLZ HELP...Maybe im over thinking it
    do I need a hammer and spring for 9.95 or can I use the old one?
    bullet guide a must....
    THANKS

Last edited:

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Just finished one up earlier to me a AK buff done right is full riveted construction real ak trigger guard, welded old fire control holes, handguard retainer, and proper muzzle device. On top of the bullet guide install

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    What saiga do you have? Too bad you have parts as there is a build party this sunday, although if we dontdontdontvgetew more people it might be rescheduled. I have a saiga 223 im taking to work on. Bullet guide, threaded muzzle, and front sight gas block combo. Plus the rear conversion that was previously done needs some work.

smidrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2016
    Next Door
    It's the 7.62x39 saiga...where does one get this real ak trigger guard at...and i have not got the part yet I plan on ordering them today...and i already started the disassembly process of the firearm that seems easy

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    In order to fully convert a Saiga sporter, you need to:
    -Move the trigger guard forward
    -Install a new trigger
    -Fill in the old trigger holes
    -Install a stock
    -Replace the rear sight
    -Install a hand guard retainer
    -Replace the gas tub
    -Install a hand guard
    -Replace the gas block
    -Replace the front sight
    -Install a cleaning rod
    -Thread the barrel or install a 24mm front sight / muzzle device
    -Recoat the entire thing

There are shortcuts you can take depending on how authentic you want the rifle to look.
    -An AK trigger guard is riveted on / they make a bolt on.
    -The front sight and gas block need pressed off in order to install the handguard retainer / they make a bolt one.
    -You'll need a new gas block and front sight, if you want a cleaning rod.
    -The proffesional shops weld up the sporter trigger holes / they make plastic plugs to fill them in.
    And the list goes on and on...

For the bullet guide, this might help:
    dinzagarms

Good luck, and have fun :smileak:

smidrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2016
    Next Door
    You can usually find it cheaper elsewhere, but KVAR is the AK super store and usually has a good selection

AK-47/74 & AR Rifles,...

Thanks I will check them out, I ordered my kit coming in around 80 bucks shipped....I would like it as authentic as possible, sounds like Its going to take some time and a bit of cash to get it there....I had no idea I would have to change all that lol but, im sure it will be worth it

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Thanks I will check them out, I ordered my kit coming in around 80 bucks shipped....I would like it as authentic as possible, sounds like Its going to take some time and a bit of cash to get it there....I had no idea I would have to change all that lol but, im sure it will be worth it

id recommend buying a extra tap or two (local hardware store is fine) if you like me you'll break one.... So i think your going for a AK-103 ak104 clone or fixed stock? i turned my 5.56 saiga into a Ak-102 clone side folder turned out great being she's a 7.62 you really have something really sought after right now. Ive never payed more than $30 for a trigger guard best luck i have had has been akfiles or apex gun parts.... Should have a non ribbed top cover (i run a ribbed on mine i just like them better) you'll have to decide if you want to press off the gas block and install a proper handguard retainer or the bolt on horse shoe one's. i pressed mine off and install a gasblock/front sight combo you can do that as well if you like (otherwise obtain a ak74/ak103 front sight ) i believe the gasblocks have been had there bayonet lugs removed they can be restored by welding and file work or replacement any of the build party guys have the knowledge and tooling to pull barrel componets and reinstall... i strongly recommend welding up the old fire control group (FCG) holes and riveting the trigger guard in place ak guys like me look for this and its far more robust. Its really not that difficult the rivets cost less than the screws and while they make rivet jigs for them they are not required ( riveting can be done with the most basic of tools just requires a little extra care to insure the head forms properly) dupicolor low gloss black engine paint matches near perfectly if your on a budget and has really impressed me how its held up (but understand its no cerakote). I converted mine to a side folder requires trimming of the back side of the receiver a few holes for the plunger and a two extra rivet holes and there is a slot to retain the stock when folded ( a small hole at the bottom of the trunnion is also needed for the pivit pin) i love it be quite intimidating but a rather easy enjoyable project (minus the little spring for that front latch quite frustrating.... but i have a fix for that im willing to share if you got that route)

pick up a pistol grip reinforcing plate as well! akbuilder is a good place to check for build parts and rivets
    ALG ak triggers are top of the line right now
    know what trunnion you have there is a round and flat style and you need a bullet guide to match that
    pick up a gastube pretty much all of them interchange with the exception of a few (polish tantal, amd65, krinkov, yugo ak's will be be different but most euro ak will be fine) bulgarian parts are about the closest in design/looks to its Russian counterpart that haven't skyrocketed in price and should completely interchange

any question ask! plenty of us hear willing to help

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    20160213_102728_zpsspsedkmp.jpg
    Just gives you a idea of what you can do with a stock saiga.... don't think your stuck with just doing a fixed stock or tradition akm-74 style barrel configuration (its currently is more expensive but best to invest in what your really want) on the barrel this is the standard 16in barrel even the gas port hole is in the right position so no major modifications are needed

smidrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2016
    Next Door
    View attachment 48075
    Just gives you a idea of what you can do with a stock saiga.... don't think your stuck with just doing a fixed stock or tradition akm-74 style barrel configuration (its currently is more expensive but best to invest in what your really want) on the barrel this is the standard 16in barrel even the gas port hole is in the right position so no major modifications are needed

Very nice Duffman I love that, looks good. Yes I am thinking fixed stock I know I don't want a side folder, I just pick up a pap m92 yesterday and It came with a nice underfolder kit this was a thought but then if I get over it that's some big holes to weld up lol....I am wanting to weld up the old trigger holes as well. I am wanting to do a front conversion like you stated above but that will have to be in the future as I pick up part by part unless I find a hell of a deal, cash is a little tight. Also going to check out that alg trigger and apex for a guard...Thanks for your help and insight on this gentleman hopefully my kit arrives today...I would also like to rivet the guard in place instead of screws, going to have to you tube this to see how its done without the rivet jig. I will be in touch this im sure of lol

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    best to pick up nice lightly used parts for a conversion these so call conversion kits really cut corners using screw on componets and i think they look amateur at best but that doesnt stop them from asking for $1000 for them.... If your in no rush you can really find some real steals on these parts in the forums akfiles is worth joining if you havent already ar15 has a decent marketplace for ak parts as well.....far as riveting with out the pricey jigs you can make a simple bucking bar (just a rod with a dome to support the rivet head) then use use a flat punch/drift to flatten the other side of the rivet inside the receiver forget who's video it is on youtube that show a step by step build with common/simple homemade tools but ill look for it and post a link..... wabbit makes a outstanding video on some of the specialized jigs akbuilder's and tothtool's but there some money into those jigs.... (better to borrow/rent unless you plan on going all in and building kits down the line)

smidrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2016
    Next Door
    20160625_132341.jpg
    Well how did I do? Can not believe how easy it was, I now want to build an ak kit lol.......It's not finished but you all get the idea

smidrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2016
    Next Door
    Way to go! Shoot, the front end will be snap!

edit: If u want to do that.
    Thanks man.........I remember alot of you all telling me how easy it is to do, I was just over thinking it, cause you all was not lying lol it was a breeze. I am doing the front end eventually. I still need to install the bullet guide and I'm not looking forward to that, or welding up the Holes lol

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Thanks man.........I remember alot of you all telling me how easy it is to do, I was just over thinking it, cause you all was not lying lol it was a breeze. I am doing the front end eventually. I still need to install the bullet guide and I'm not looking forward to that, or welding up the Holes lol

Looks great! Welding.. .again don't over think it use a copper backer and practice on some scrap you'llc surprise your self. Once you do the front end it's not much harder to build one from a kit... welcome to the ak addicts club!

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    I hope your front end is easier than mine. We couldnt find where the muzzzle nut was pinned in or if was welded.

BobDaniels

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Boone Co
    The bullet guide isn't too bad, just do your best to center punch the hole before drilling. Also, take the tap from the kit to the hardware store, purchase a proper tap, then pitch the one that came with the kit. The one I bought from CSS broke off in the hole after a couple of turns and it was a pain to drill it back out.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    The bullet guide isn't too bad, just do your best to center punch the hole before drilling. Also, take the tap from the kit to the hardware store, purchase a proper tap, then pitch the one that came with the kit. The one I bought from CSS broke off in the hole after a couple of turns and it was a pain to drill it back out.
    happened to me as well... found it best to use a end mill cutter over a drill bit for ghe bullet guide screw hole....broke my cheap css tap as well.. because they are so hard its best to chip them out with a hardden punch they will shatter without much effort

smidrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2016
    Next Door
    happened to me as well... found it best to use a end mill cutter over a drill bit for ghe bullet guide screw hole....broke my cheap css tap as well.. because they are so hard its best to chip them out with a hardden punch they will shatter without much effort

Picking up a new tap today sorry for the delay been busy with life...have been shooting it and I love it still gotta weld up the holes and paint getting that today as well as another saiga 7.62x39 wish I could find one in .308 lol....I gotta give up my wasr uf for it tho whats your thoughts on this wasr 10/63 uf for saiga 7.62x39 with mags and ammo

smidrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2016
    Next Door
    best to pick up nice lightly used parts for a conversion these so call conversion kits really cut corners using screw on componets and i think they look amateur at best but that doesnt stop them from asking for $1000 for them.... If your in no rush you can really find some real steals on these parts in the forums akfiles is worth joining if you havent already ar15 has a decent marketplace for ak parts as well.....far as riveting with out the pricey jigs you can make a simple bucking bar (just a rod with a dome to support the rivet head) then use use a flat punch/drift to flatten the other side of the rivet inside the receiver forget who's video it is on youtube that show a step by step build with common/simple homemade tools but ill look for it and post a link..... wabbit makes a outstanding video on some of the specialized jigs akbuilder's and tothtool's but there some money into those jigs.... (better to borrow/rent unless you plan on going all in and building kits down the line)

Any luck on finding that video? I can't seem to find anything....

Top Bottom