• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    I'm picking up a Saiga rifle in 7.62x39 Monday, and wondering about converting it. I'm getting it cheap, so I can switch it over pretty soo. Any suggestions?

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Yes go to CSS and buy your parts if it's just a basic conversion that you're doing (IE not including the front end)

tools you'll need:
    A drill
    Screwdrivers
    Hammer
    drill bits and a tap for the bullet guide.

Parts you'll need:
    stock
    trigger
    trigger guard
    Retaining plate (trust me)
    grip
    bullet guide.

Here is the last one i did
    picture.php

The parts just for the conversion include
    the tapco g2
    krebs retaining plate
    Ace internal block
    Ace folding mechanism
    Ace stock
    UsPalm grip
    CSS trigger guard.

You can put any AK stock on your saiga so if you want to go with all wood or whatever that's fine. Should you chose that route you'll need to either knock off the front sight and slide on a handguard retainer as well as replace the gas tube, or you can purchase a bolt on version that clamps over the barrel and a new gas tube.

Should you decide to tacticool it out, buy your adapter from css but buy your stock elsewhere as it'll be cheaper. Be sure to put "CSS" in the coupon code box for 5% off. Also anything you buy will be shipped instantly and usually arrive the next day. Greg Queen is all about quick shipping.

Once you decide on your parts, check your trunion so you know what bullet guide to get.
    Trunnion.JPG

There will be a shroud over your barrel and underneath may or may not have threads. To remove this you'll need a tube cutter. If it has threads they'll be 14x1lh. If it doesn't you're welcome to use my t.a.t and die to cut for the same size.

recommendations:

If you want a Wood Ak, i'd go with Combloc customs
    Combloc Customs
    The stocks are ironwood designs so they count as US parts. You'll then need to order this:
    DSC02974.JPG

As well as a new gas tube, or just redo the front end...and a new gas tube.

If you want a folding stock like mine get an internal block. You'll have to cut the tang. The nice thing about internal blocks is that they use the old trigger holes in the sides as mounting points, so you don't have to weld and blend over them or plug them with those nylon nipples.
    DSC03508.JPG

You can then buy the folding mechanism
    FOLDING.jpg

and mount any Ace type stock or m4 style stock you want.

If you just want a telescoping stock buy this.
    VLTOR_TUBE.jpg

For grips, i can't say enough good things about the UsPalm grip. One source tactical usually has them.

Whatever you do, don't put any tapco (the exception being the trigger) or UTG BS on your gun or i'll make fun of you. PM me with any questions if you get stuck.

ssblair

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Elkhart County
    +1 to CSS. I've had great service from them, good prices, and some pretty cool resources too.

There's also the Saiga-12 forum at saiga-12.com which mainly deals with the Saiga shotguns, but also has boards for the rifle calibers--There are a bunch of resources there and alot of discussion to conversion and sec.922(r) compliance.

Nice build, Vitamink!

Top Bottom