• ...and so much more!
  • IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    We saw probably 100 or so yesterday flying over Speedway, close to the track, around 4:00 in the afternoon. Sounded great and flying so high in the sky!

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    We laid my wife's mother to rest yesterday after her battle with cancer. It was a nice moment when we heard the cranes as we arrived at the cemetary for the burial.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    They should change the name a little : DUI crane with no sense of direction.. I watch several flocks go over and split fly in a circle and then head straight and do it again.. maybe A.D.D. crane or I did not ask for directions and cant make my mind up bird??:D

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    They should change the name a little : DUI crane with no sense of direction.. I watch several flocks go over and split fly in a circle and then head straight and do it again.. maybe A.D.D. crane or I did not ask for directions and cant make my mind up bird??:D
    I've seen the flock circle for a few minutes then head NW leaving one or a few behind to circle. After a few minutes another flock shows up and the stragglers join up with the new flock. Does anyone know whether they are actually leaving guides behind to show the next flock which way to go?

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    They used to fly directly over my house, sadly for the last few years they always to be several miles South. so far away that I usually can barely see them. They never seem to just fly past the flock always seems to be in a constant state of being reformed. Here they are always flying almost straight West and a little North possibly to avoid Lake Michigan.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Catching thermals. They can move hundreds of miles at a time that way. Highest flying bird in the US. 30,000 feet and got hit by an airliner.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Sure seems early for this to be happening. :dunno:

Peak Sandhill migration has been occurring earlier and earlier over the past several years. A decade ago, it was around the first week of March; this year, it was the first week of February! What we're seeing now is kind of a secondary peak, as birds that had been wintering farther south begin to move north. I had about 400 birds pass over my neighborhood yesterday. There are still decent numbers staging at Goose Pond and other places, but they won't be around much longer if the warm weather and southerly winds keep up.

Top Bottom