• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Since I can't search here with the new format, I thought I'd ask the......ahem...experts...I have found in a LGS a 1903-A3 rifle, but it is a Santa Fe 1903, using google fu, I have found about 50-50 as to whether these are shooters, or wall hangers. The price is affordable, so my hackles are up about it. It has been in the shop for a while, so I thought everybody else, just wanted Tacticool stuff, and just didn't appreciate the old school wood and steel. Some posts I've read say the cast receivers are unsafe, some say safe, and point out Ruger using cast parts....What say you INGO? I'll take my answer off the air.....

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    They are made with cast receivers, there have been complaints that the receiver will crack etc. This company bought go barrels and parts and slapped these guns together i believe back in the 60's. They are hard to sell to unless the purchaser knows little about them or doesn't care! I bought one cheap just to use for parts! The receiver was never used!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I hadn't heard anything about the 03-A3's, but I do remember them cutting down Enfields to make "Jungle Carbines". They seemed to be okay, but they of course weren't real jungle carbines.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Ruger uses cast parts in some applications that make sense from an engineering standpoint. An 03A3 receiver is not one of those, stay away.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    From what I have googled, these were basically 1903a3 parts, and Santa Fe made cast receivers and built guns from the casting, and the barrels, and bolts... have read hit or miss about the head spacing, and the cast receivers. I was really interested till I read all that.....now, not so much. If it had been a bubba'd 1903a3, for that price I would have sold a kidney.....

led4thehed2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I'd agree with the opinions of probably don't buy. I came across a similar gun- Auto Ordnance 1903 - in a Bass Pro Shop a few years ago. $450...was so tempted! A quick Google search revealed these were not government guns, were made during the cold war, and IIRC, they used old receivers to make a mold and cast their receivers. Some don't last.

Ultimately, I decided to be patient, watched the CMP forums, and then pounced when they got a shipment of 1903s. I know that is not an option for everyone, but the North store in only 4.5 hours from me. $650 later I had a nice 1903 with little barrel ware that had already lasted 100 years, and still shoots nicely.

Top Bottom