• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • canamscott

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    LaGrange County
    I am doing my homework about lever rifles for Cowboy Action Shooting. I am seeing a few rifles 24 inch barrel and most 20 inch barrel. Is there any real world difference in competition? I am trying to consider a gun purchase for dual purpose and would like the rifle to serve duty as a hunting arm too. What other things should I not overlook in a cowboy gun?

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I'm trying to get into SASS too. I'm a member and have a pair of Vaqueros chambered in .45LC, but have two levers legal, but both are chambered in .44M.

What I'm finding with the levers is competition is better with what they call a Short Stroke lever kit installed no matter what you buy...haven't heard much about barrel length, but I would think the short barrel might be best as the shots are close and maneuverability is kind of important. I have a Henry lever, but everyone says the Henrys are not good for competition because they can hang up - not really made for quick action of the lever. Uberti seems to be the choice of most because they are extremely durable and there are lots of people with SS kits that will hook you up. Of course there are a number of Winchester fans out there too and Winchester is apparently in the works on a SS lever specifically for SASS from the factory (hope I have that rumor correct), but not yet available. I'm currently trying to trade my Winchester '92 chambered in .44M for one or a '73 in .45LC.

First question for you is what caliber do you think you want to shoot? There are scores of SASS shooters that choose .357 because of availability and light recoil for target acquisition. Regardless, most shoot the same caliber from their revolvers and levers. I've chosen to shoot .45LC because I like it and will carry a .45LC for other things...in your case you're looking for a hunting rifle. The .44Mag is excellent for deer and you can shoot .44Specials for SASS - that's an option. Most SASS shooters load their own SASS loads and use "mouse fart" loads therefore use brass nearly indefinitely.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    20" rifles (actually 19" for the Italian repros) are lighter. I still like the 24" version because I prefer rifles a tad bit muzzle heavy. Any of the .357, .44-40. 44 mag, and .45 Colt rifles will kill deer just fine. Keep in mind, only one of those chamberings is historical in rifles of that period, if that is important to you.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I'm about to buy a Uberti '73 in 45 LC. I haven't forgotten the smooth operation of one at the NRA show. <drool>

Timely question. I was going for the 24"...but 20 would be OK too. I was told to stay away from the 16" as the magazine only holds like 6 bullets. SASS is a 10 round field...which is what a 20" barrel holds.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Navy Arms is back in business doing a really nice 1873 Winchester with case hardened receiver and full octagonal barrel and a short stroke kit...along with some sweet looking wood. 1873 Rifles It's in 45LC and 357.

Just another option...one that's already hurting my checkbook...

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    In a competition, I would say there is a slight advantage in a 20" barrel over 24". A bigger advantage would be found in the caliber, with .38 being the favorite, and in the model, where short-stroked '73s rule the day.

I shoot blackpowder in my '92, with .44-40 bullets. My times may be slower, but my smiles are bigger!

ol' poke.

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    I shoot a Cimmaron in .357/.38 spl. I use the 38s for SASS matches and also shoot bp through it also. JJ is correct, maneuverability is everything when your on the clock! Transitions from one gun to the next is time off the clock. Short stroke kits will knock time off also but practice is a must. I recommend you go to some matches and check as many rifles out as you can before you buy. Also ask a lot of questions. Cowboy shooters are the most generous crowd you will find. I shoot about 3 matches a week to keep in tune for the big matches. A lot of guys like the Marlins too, don't rule them out. I also hunt with my cowboy rifle. Its a 20" deluxe. If you have any questions feel free to pm me. Your not to far from Paradise Pass! Our next match is the first Saturday of May at 10 am. Come on out you can shoot mine.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Navy Arms is back in business doing a really nice 1873 Winchester with case hardened receiver and full octagonal barrel and a short stroke kit...along with some sweet looking wood. 1873 Rifles It's in 45LC and 357.

Just another option...one that's already hurting my checkbook...

Yah I saw a review in one gun mag or another about that. Very Pricey. I presume they're more than rebadged Uberti's then.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Now not looking at the selection from a SASS perspective and more from the hunting side as I like SASS but I haven't been able to try it out yet... Hoping to change that this year...

The 38 spcl and 357 mag which I shoot a lot of seems to gather velocity from the 2 inch snubbies all the way up to the 16 inch carbine length barrel on my Rossi 92. It looses velocity as the barrel grows from 16 inches to 18.5 inches on the marlin and my Ruger 77/357.. Velocity being a factor in shooting distances and effect on game...

Also with the 38 spcl/357 magnum caliber it works well for both deer and squirrel depending on caliber used... Just a thought...

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    The 38 spcl and 357 mag which I shoot a lot of seems to gather velocity from the 2 inch snubbies all the way up to the 16 inch carbine length barrel on my Rossi 92. It looses velocity as the barrel grows from 16 inches to 18.5 inches on the marlin and my Ruger 77/357.. Velocity being a factor in shooting distances and effect on game...

Interesting, even the .357's lose velocity. So the only advantage of the longer barrel would be a couple extra rounds in the tube. I wonder if the same is true with .45LC even when considering +P rounds.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    90   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I wasn't thinking SASS when I was looking for my .44 mag lever gun. I was thinking more "deer gun" that could serve as home defense, but I did do some web surfing looking up barrel length and MV. Depending on what load you shoot in .44 mag, they top out around 16" or 18". I decided to go for a carbine. I like the handiness of the shorter guns anyway. Problem is, I like the octagon barrels that come in the 24" rifles. I picked up a M92 rifle, and had AllenM cut it down to 18". Now I have the shorter carbine with the heavy octagon barrel. Not sure I could afford the ammo to compete in SASS regular, but would love to give it a try one day.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I wasn't thinking SASS when I was looking for my .44 mag lever gun. I was thinking more "deer gun" that could serve as home defense, but I did do some web surfing looking up barrel length and MV. Depending on what load you shoot in .44 mag, they top out around 16" or 18". I decided to go for a carbine. I like the handiness of the shorter guns anyway. Problem is, I like the octagon barrels that come in the 24" rifles. I picked up a M92 rifle, and had AllenM cut it down to 18". Now I have the shorter carbine with the heavy octagon barrel. Not sure I could afford the ammo to compete in SASS regular, but would love to give it a try one day.

That is a great looking rifle. Looks like it would be easy to handle in the woods.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    daddyusmaximus, Nice carbine you have there, bet it settles in nice with the heft of that octagon barrel...

Thor, Not sure about the rest of the calibers but what I have found with the factory 38/357's and my hand loads with Accurate #5,#2 in the 38 and Accurate #9 in the magnum is it looses velocity in the longer barrels... I am still on the search for a longer burning powder to see if I can load something that gives a gain in the long barrels as I have the 18.5 inch rifles already and have a want to add another Rossi 92 with the 24 inch barrel yet...

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    The Uberti Italian repro guns are seen in 16 1/8", 18 ", 19" and 20" as well as longer lengths but the potential SASS shooter will need to pick a size that offers at least a sufficient ammo load capacity for his stages, I'm not a SASS shooter but I'm guessing that would rule out the 16" and maybe 18 " guns?
    I would advise the OP ( in addition to asking on net forums) to attend a SASS or even better an NCOWS match and ask the competitors there about his concerns. The great majority of those folks love to talk guns/gear.

Last edited:

jamesb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I shoot a 20" barreled 1873 in 45 colt and my wife shoots a 18" barreled 1873 in .357. Mine is stock and her's was slicked up by Cody Conagher. After getting and shooting hers I will probably send my to Cody to slick up, the difference in the action is that much. As far as barrel lengths, the longer the barrel the smoother the swing is, same concept as with shotguns and clays. At CAS ranges the barrel length will have minimal affect on velocity. A shorter barrel is an advantage when shooting as a range that has lots of props and facades, going in and out of doors, windows and such. Practice, I think has the most effect, so it doesn't much matter, I have seen guys run sub 20 second stages with long and short barreled rifles. My first rifle was a winchester 94 in .357 with a 20" barrel. I use it to hunt also, took 2 deer with it last year, one at 65 yards and the other 5. It worked ok to start CAS because I already owned it but I soon upgraded. The 94s action was for the longer 30-30, the 92 have a pistol action, so they tend to double feed when run fast. I would not have a problem taking either of the 73s, 94 or even my spencer carbine out hunting.
    Jim
    aka Big Whiskey Jim

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    My older brother doesn't shoot cowboy competition. He just is one.
    A 1873 full length rifle is his house gun for whatever critters molest hearth, home and hens. He says that the longer barrel means you need a bigger lube groove unless your loading smokeless.
    The full length rifle is like shooting a Kentucky long rifle that shoots time after time after time...

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    My older brother doesn't shoot cowboy competition. He just is one.
    A 1873 full length rifle is his house gun for whatever critters molest hearth, home and hens. He says that the longer barrel means you need a bigger lube groove unless your loading smokeless.
    The full length rifle is like shooting a Kentucky long rifle that shoots time after time after time...

LOL, but not quite. ;) While the 24" barrel might seem like it's long, it ain't nothing compared to a 42"+ long rifle barrel.

Top Bottom